Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Moving Beyond the Dog

'Moving beyond the dog,' c. 2010. An expression which originated in a state called Wisconsin, in the former United States of America, among individual small farmers who toiled in the garden in the hot July sun.

Meaning: To take the extra initiative to achieve one's goal, even while an object (or objects) threatens to impede one's progress. Moving past the barriers.

So as I was picking beans, walking along the outer perimeter of the 'bean fence' with my basket, I noticed Bridger lying in the shade, in the way. It was hot. He was panting. He was resting. How could I ask him to move?

But I still had at least 20 feet of my bean row to pick. I reached over my dog to get as many green beans as I could, then finally told my hubby (who was picking beans on the other side of the fence) that I was going to have to move beyond the dog.

Suddenly, it occurred to me that years hence, this may be a common phrase - there may be people using that expression, moving beyond the dog, and wondering about its origin, just as I often wonder about the origin of certain expressions.

So I will use this expression in a sentence for you:  'Bethany was moving beyond the dog to get her degree.'

And you will be among the first to know 'the rest of the story.'

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, your beans are doing great! We have small garden so when I do a pick I've been getting about two meals worth:-) I steam them for dinner and pull half and freeze them and we have the rest for dinner that night then. Very glad you were able to 'move beyond the dog' and finish your pick!

Denise said...

This was a great post, really liked it my friend.

Unknown said...

I can't believe how many beans you have.. and they look amazingly beautiful! Thanks for the meaning of the statement...though I must confess, I have actually never heard it before! lol
(your dog is gorgeous!!!)

SomeGirl said...

And that's the rest of the story... Our own personal Paul Harvey! Love it! ♥ Michelle

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, what gorgeous, gorgeous beans!!!

Unknown said...

Never heard the phrase before, but kudos to you... for going beyond the dog ;) The beans look fabulous!

Rachel said...

I was smart this time and visited your blog after lunch. I love green beans. Those look great!!

Cute picture of Bridger, he's gorgeous!

: )
Rachel

Mama Hen said...

I am moving beyond the dog (cake) to become healthier and lose weight! Thank you for your comment. You are really sweet. I love this expression. I also always want to comment on how beautiful your dog is! Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Anonymous said...

I am going to "move beyond the dog" and get my laundry done! - LOL

Your handcrafted soaps look amazing, by the way.

Blessings to you friend,
Sue

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

What a georgeous dog! :D I've never heard that expression before reading it here. Cool!

Deborah said...

I need to 'move beyond the dog' and post on my own blog!! tee hee :) I'm working on it.

Bethany Nash said...

Ha! I've become a vocabulary lesson... YES.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails