Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham Recipe


Guess what we had left over from the weekend? Right! Ham. So the best thing I've found to do with leftover ham is...Scalloped potatoes! No salt is needed because the ham has enough salt to go around!

SCALLOPED POTATOES AND HAM RECIPE:

2 1/2 c. diced ham
1/2 onion, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/2 large red pepper, chopped
1 c. pared and sliced carrots
4 med. red potatoes
3 T. butter
1 t. olive oil
1 c. cream or whole milk
1 T.+ flour
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
coarse-ground black pepper

Cut potatoes into halves (leave skin on) and boil in water until they are not quite tender. Add sliced carrots to the boiling water for the last 5 minutes.  Drain water from vegetables and let them stand until cool enough to handle.

In skillet, melt butter and add olive oil. When bubbly, add ham, onion, celery, jalapeno, and red pepper. Saute until onions are translucent.

Cut potatoes into chunks. Place potatoes and carrots into a large bowl to mix. Add the ingredients from the skillet.

In a small saucepan, whisk flour into cream. Slowly heat until it's slightly thickened, stirring constantly with the whisk. Then pour cream mixture over ham and vegetables and fold in gently.

Use cooking spray to coat inside of baking dish. Pour half of the ham, vegetables, and cream mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheddar over the layer. Add a second (last) layer and sprinkle a little shredded cheddar over the top. Sprinkle with coarse ground black pepper.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

P.S. This is most definitely 'comfort food.' If you overindulged on the weekend, this would not be the dinner for you (or me). Go make a chef salad with spinach, chicken, veggies, cheese, and onion - but without dressing or croutons. It's the price we pay for eating too many of those delicious little jellybellies.

P.P.S. Yes, I did have about 1 t. of the scalloped potatoes and ham, just to 'test.' After all, someone's got to do it. YUM. :-)

Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

This post is linked to: Making the World Cuter Mondays
and Something I Whipped Up Monday
and Motivate Me Monday
and Making Monday Marvelous
and Made from Scratch Tuesday
and Tasty Tuesday
and Tempt My Tummy Tueadays
and Wandering Wednesday
and What's Cookin' Wednesday
and We Did it Wednesday
and Thrilling Thursday
and Favorite Things Friday
and I'm Lovin' it Friday
and It's a Hodgepodge Friday
and Fat Camp Friday
and Fun With Food Friday

22 comments:

Empty Nester said...

It looks wonderfully delicious...maybe there's some way to make it less comforting? LOL

Karen Harris said...

Ah, pure delicious comfort. We had ham too but between sandwiches yesterday and sending some back to college with my daughter, there's not enough left to really do anything with other than pinch a little piece off everything I open the fridge. That will work too!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, my! This looks delish! Love that you added carrots in there, too. :)

carolinaheartstrings said...

What a great looking recipe. I love all the additions to this typical ham dish. I bet it tastes wonderful.

Unknown said...

Love scalloped potatoes...fantastic way to use up those leftovers!

Cat said...

Oh, yum! This looks hearty, fresh, and delish...a killer combination! Perfect way to use up some of that leftover Easter ham!

xx Cat brideblu

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Our traditional after Easter dish is a big pot of Pea Soup! So good!

The scalloped potatoes sound good too. We have a lot of ham leftover, so maybe we will try it. I think we are going to be hammed out by the end of the week! :-)

Johnnie said...

I am on my way over. What time is dinner!?

Judy S. said...

I love your recipes, Judy. It's fun to see your spin on traditional recipes. Great idea to add some other veggies and pepper to give it some zing. Perhaps our son will leave a little left to use....he's been nibbling away on the leftovers.

Midwest to Midlands said...

I never thought of adding the carrots and other veggies, good idea.

Kirstin said...

OOOhh yummy! I did a post on scalloped potatoes too. Yours look super yummy. I love that this is a recipe that can have so many variations.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, it's got everything you need -- meat, potatoes, sauce, and just enough vegetables that you can tell yourself it's healthy! :)

Tiffanee said...

This looks amazing! Perfect for my leftover ham!!

Under Her Wings said...

We've had a stomach virus going around and nothing looked good. But I'm over it and this looks delicious. Only problem is, I am going to have to go to the store to buy some ham!

Unknown said...

I still can't quite look at food with a smile in my heart, but this lovely dish is starting to turn my frown upside down. Now if it would just quit raining so I could go for a walk! ACK!

Mama Hen said...

This looks delicious! I am going to have to try this recipe! I hope you are doing well my friend. I have to order some of the raspberry soap this week. My cousin is coming back from Spain and loved it so much. I want to give her some to take back. I hope you are well!

Mama Hen

Anonymous said...

I terribly wanted to taste this.It looks so good, pretty and delicious.I will buy ham on purpose just to make one like this!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I think I've got the ingredients at home right now. Guess what we'll be having for dinner!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Rachel said...

This looks delicious!!

:)
Rachel

Candace said...

I don't think I could get away with just a taste. I would have to have a bowl or plate of it. It looks delicious! I love how you've added jalapeno to it. Yum!

Michelle said...

I used to hate scalloped potatoes and ham when I was younger but it's one of my favorite dishes now. Mouth watering...

Anonymous said...

Definitely comfort food! And I love that you put in jalapeno pepper! We put those in everything...I thought that was just a Texan thing!

...partialemptynester ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails