Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cherry Almond Biscotti - Recipe

 Door County Cherries in Cherry Almond Biscotti

A couple years ago, a friend served this delicious cherry-almond biscotti to our Bible study group. I asked for the recipe at the time, but didn't get around to making it until just recently. After making the biscotti, I gave half of it to a friend and the other half I actually had to hide from myself! It went into the freezer! The freezer is in the basement. Out of sight, out of mind...almost.  Since then, I've found that frozen biscotti makes a great treat to gnaw on while watching a suspenseful movie. It saves on the fingernails.  Yikes! Can't stand that super-sinister Mrs. Danvers!!

Cherry-Almond Biscotti Recipe:

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 t. almond extract
3 2/3 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1 c. dried cherries
1 c. slivered almonds, toasted (I used roasted almonds and put them through the food processor)

Ghirardeli white chocolate and 1 T. shortening, melted over double boiler)

Directions:
Separate one egg and set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 eggs and reserved egg yolk. Beat in extract. Combine flour, b.p. and b.s.  Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Turn onto a floured surface. Knead in cherries and almonds. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 12 in x 3 in rectangle. Transfer to a greased baking sheet or one covered with parchment paper. Beat reserved egg white. Brush over dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes.

Cut into slices, lay slices on their side on cookie sheet, slightly apart from one another. Bake another 20 minutes at 275 degrees. Repeat this step. Cool thoroughly.

I used a combination of Door County cherries, blueberries, and cranberries in this recipe.

Drizzle melted chocolate over top of biscotti. Refrigerate for a bit to set the chocolate. When I was finished and the chocolate was set, I scraped up the remaining chocolate, re-melted it, and stirred in some crushed almonds to make a great almond bark! (which I should also have given away!!!).

This recipe is one that I changed slightly from the original, which was in Taste of Home.


Don't miss my Hope of Spring sale
25% off all my homemade, luxury soaps at
Homemade Soap'n'Such
February 6-10 ONLY


 This post is linked to some or all of the following: Mop it Up Mondays and Skip to My Lou and Bedazzle Me Monday and  What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday and  Made from Scratch Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and Overflowing With Creativity and What's Cookin' Wednesday and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Link it Up Thursday and Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and  Home and Family Friday

Photobucket
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

36 comments:

Denise said...

looks delicious.

Unknown said...

Aahhh.. that last picture looks wonderful.. all that white chocolate drizzled all over it! I sure could use one of those right now.. my coffee is screaming for it!! :)

Michelle said...

Mmm, mention biscotti and I'll be over. I love biscotti and what's even better is I love making biscotti. It's not too hard to do! I've not made it since last winter thanks for the reminder that I need to make some. I'll have to give this recipe a try. Love almonds and cherries too!

Paulette said...

Yummy, and the combo of cherry and almond makes my mouth water.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would love this! I need to experiment making some without sugar...or a very low amount. I love the crunch of biscotti!

Life Happens said...

ooohhh, looks so yummy. I know Biscotti is usually hard, is this the hard kind?

Unknown said...

These look devine! I love biscotti and then the white chocolate drizzle is over the top. I will definitely makes these. I like biscotti because they are not so sweet, just right. Thanks you

Anonymous said...

Those look wonderful.... and I have not had breakfast yet, so I would really like to grab one off the screen to dunk in my coffee! :o)

Thanks for the recipe.

Marti said...

Sounds yummy. I love biscotti and hot rich coffee. Thanks for sharing.

Lois Christensen said...

Those look delicious! I have frozen treats also with hopes of not being able to eat them and have found myself nibbling also on frozen goodies! Enjoy your day!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, I adore biscotti! And really, the freezer is no match for us - it's like trying to hide Girl Scout cookies. Out of sight, out of mind - ha! You hear the biscotti calling, like the Tell-Tale Heart beating!

Ms. Kathleen said...

This looks sinfully delicious :) Must try!

My Grama's Soul said...

All I can say is yummmmmmmm!!!!!

xo

Jo

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

These look delicious! There are some things that can be absolute heaven with a cup of coffee or tea and biscotti ranks right up there for me.

I keep saying I'm going to make it myself and now I have the perfect recipe to do just that! Thanks so much for sharing it! :~)

Debra Hawkins said...

Well, there goes me sticking to my diet today. :) Love the recipe, looks amazing!

Mama Hen said...

I love it! I will have to try this recipe! This with some coffee sounds great! Have a great day my friend!

Mama Hen

Carla from The River said...

Yummy...I plan to give this a try!

Midwest to Midlands said...

Can't go wrong with anything with good ole Door County Cherries!!! I would have to hide it from myself too as it looks delicioso!

Ruth Kelly said...

I want some. I may have to break down and make this recipe - sounds so good!

Candace said...

I love the cherry almond flavor combo! That must have been a wonderful find for you. It looks delicious, Judy!

Ladybird Ln said...

This just looks delicious, I have never made a Biscotti, but I think this is going to change! I found you at a Creative Princess... I also really love your sheep picture!

Cheers,
Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

laurie said...

This sure looks delish!

Joyce said...

Looks like a yummy Valentine treat! I love biscotti with a cup of tea.

Becky McNeer said...

Yum, biscotti. I love almond flavoring too. These look awesome. Not Your Ordinary Agent
Not Your Ordinary Recipes

Unknown said...

I love biscotti! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I copied it down and look forward to making it.

Rachel said...

YUMMY!!!

Little City Farm said...

Oh wow, this looks so good and I've been hunting for a good biscotti recipe. I wonder if you would be interested in sharing at our Link It Up Thursday party. http://thesepeastastefunny.blogspot.com/2012/02/link-it-up-thursday-5.html#more

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Boy, does that sound gooood, Judy! And I like the idea of gnawing on one while watching Mrs. Danvers do her dastardly deeds!

Judy S. said...

Biscotti is yummy, and this recipe sounds great. I might try it with regular chocolate though.....LOVE dried cherries!

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh yum these would be great with my morning coffee.

Unknown said...

Yummy!! Thanks for linking up! Just checking, did you see my Lisa Leonard giveaway yet?


XO, Aimee

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

Mmmm!! These look delicious!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

This looks so delicious. I've never been brave enough to make my own biscotti...but this looks heavenly! Thanks bunches for coming back this week to Mop It Up Mondays at ishouldbemoppingthefloor. Have a great rest of the week!

{HUGS},
kristi

Unknown said...

I LOVE biscotti!! I am very intimidated to make my own though. It looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

Unknown said...

I featured your biscotti today. I think I will have to try it. It just looks so good! Stop by and grab a button if you would like.

http://kadie-sevenalive.blogspot.com/2012/02/link-it-up-thursday-6.html#more

Darla said...

Oh, heavenly day! These are gonna be wonderful! Thanks for sharing. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails