Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Beef Pot Roast and Root Vegetables Recipe

A pot roast - for one of the last cold winter nights
I hope

So Kevin walked into the house and said that the aroma of pot roast in the oven reminded him of how their house smelled when he was a child.

'I remember coming home from school...' 

Oh come on! It hasn't been that long since I made a pot roast, for pete's sake.

But it had been a while, I'll admit. Quite often, I'll put a roast in the Crockpot early in the morning...but it's just not the same as a roast in the oven.

This bit of roast and root vegetables went into the 350 degree oven at 2:30 in order to be ready by 5:30. Turned out just right, with that nice carmelized glaze on the vegetables. YUM.

Beef Pot Roast with Root Vegetables Recipe:

This was a pretty tiny roast, probably about 1 1/2 pounds. I had bought about a 3 pound roast, then cut it in half to use for two different meals, freezing both halves until I needed them. (I always buy meat with an eye to how many meals I can get out of it.)

Oven preheated to 350 degrees F.

In a couple T. olive oil, in a Dutch oven, sear all sides of the roast. To that, add the following:

1 large sweet potato, pared and cut into chunks
5 carrots, pared and cut into chunks
5 parsnips, yes, pared and cut into slices (for parsnips take a bit longer to cook)
1/2 med. rutabaga, pared and cut into slices
3 smallish potatoes, washed, scrubbed, and cut into chunks
1 large onion, peeled and cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

Over the top, pour 1/2 c. Pacific Organic Free-Range Chicken Broth
Generously sprinkle on the black pepper 

Cover with a lid and place in oven for 3 hours.

It was a perfect dinner to usher out cold winter weather and welcome the new...
springtime weather! 

No, not yet.
Anticipation


Photobucket
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch

 This post is linked to some or all of the following:  Mop it Up Monday and Skip to My Lou and Bedazzle Me Monday and  What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday and  Made from Scratch Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and Overflowing With Creativity and What's Cookin' Wednesday and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Link it Up Thursday and Crafty Friday (Thursday) and Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and  Home and Family Friday
Photobucket

18 comments:

Paulette said...

After reading your blog I realized that I too have been cooking my roast in the slow cooker. After seeing your photo and reading the words caramelized vegetables (yum) I believe my next pot roast will be cooked with your recipe. Thanks!

Unknown said...

We love pot roast.. and I will have to agree: although it's good in the crock pot, there is something wonderful about it being slow cooked in the oven.

Amy Burzese said...

Yum-my.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I actually threw away my crock pot, nothing good came out of it (it always had some odd funky flavor, strange). Pot roast from the oven is some serious deliciousness!! My mom used to make it with parsnips when I was a kid. I haven't tried a parsnip since I was 13 LOL, guess it's time to give it another shot :) Looks mouthwate

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

*mouthwateringly delicious Judy! Great job!

Yenta Mary said...

There is little in life as comforting as pot roast. And I love that you include parsnips - they're usually so neglected!

laurie said...

I love a good pot roast!

Ruth Kelly said...

What time is dinner? I'm starving. Will have to get my crockpot out.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

You have got to stop with the great photo's, you're killing me here! It looks amazing and I know delicious! We must be on the same wave length (or listen to the same voices, lol) because that's what we're having for dinner tonight!

ruthie said...

We DO love a good pot roast. I've never made it with sweet potatoes and parsnips. I'll have to give it a try.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

What a great recipe to celebrate St. Patrick's Day early! This looks so hearty, delicious and warm. Lovely!

Candace said...

There is nothing quite like the yummy smell of a roast in the oven. I can taste the glaze on those veggies right now. Yummy! I hope this was the last of the cold weather for you and that spring has really sprung over there. We are in the 50's/60's this week and loving every moment of it. We aren't holding our breath though as we could still get a blizzard too before it's all said and done here in NH. I sure hope not though. :)

Carla from The River said...

Fun! I like what Kevin had to say :-)

Denise said...

That is one of my all time favorite meals.

Tiffanee said...

Oh now that looks so delicious! I wanted to eat it right off your blog! Now you got me craving!!

Under Her Wings said...

yummmm...but it's almost too hot for pot roast here. It's supposed to be 85 degrees today! And I prefer pot roast just as you have made it. Looks perfect. Your pics are tantalizing for this weight watcher.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Our newest favorite addition to pot roasts is Mushrooms! There are never enough! Delicious!

Judy S. said...

Great idea to use sweet potato! I love pot roast. Need to give the oven a try as I've always used my electric skillet on low. (I use rutabaga also...must try parsnips sometime.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails