Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

 because we all need another chocolate chip cookie recipe 

Occasionally, I buy the Betty Crocker gluten-free chocolate chip cookie mix, which I like. Of course I add extra chocolate chips and walnuts to the mix, for they're always stingy on the chocolate chips and don't include nuts at all. The other night, I went online to try to find a somewhat similar recipe, for which I could use my stash of gluten-free flours (rather than relying upon a mix.)

I found the following recipe on the Land O Lakes website. I didn't like the feel of the dough. It was pretty sticky, rather than a bit grainy as I was used to. I think the difference is the amount of potato starch. When the cookies first came out of the oven, I didn't like them. They seemed too sweet and too bland. After the cookies had cooled completely, I put them into the freezer. The next day, I decided to try another one. I'm convinced that there's something magical that happens to cookies in that freezer. They always taste much better frozen than they are 'right out of the oven.' (Okay, that may be just me.)

Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe:
from Land O Lakes

2 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below)  This is the only part I really dislike. Now I have a Ziploc baggie of this mixture in my cupboard, but probably not enough for a whole batch.
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum Yes, this is in addition to what you've already put in the 'Flour Blend.'
3/4 cup butter [Land O Lakes® Butter,] softened - Personally, I like to use Wisconsin butter.
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs [Land O Lakes® All-Natural Eggs] - Personally, I like to use Wisconsin eggs. :-)
2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
1 (12-ounce) package (2 cups) gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
For this recipe I used mini chocolate chips as well as white chocolate chips, only because I wanted to get rid of them. I also used chopped almonds because I didn't have any walnuts in the house. I wouldn't bother to make these if there weren't going to be almonds, walnuts, or pecans in them. 

Another time I would either cut out the half cup of white sugar OR cut out the white chocolate chips. Together, they make the cookie way too sweet.

Directions




Heat oven to 375°F. Combine flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum in medium bowl. Set aside.

Combine butter, brown sugar and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. 

Reduce speed to low. Beat, gradually adding flour mixture, until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips. Actually, I usually put everything except for the chocolate chips and nuts into my KitchenAid mixing bowl, rather than mixing a few things at a time. After mixing thoroughly, I add the chips and nuts. I can't see that the outcome is any different.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. (DO NOT OVERBAKE.) Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets.

Gluten-Free Flour Blend: To make flour blend, combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.


Photobucket
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch

 This post is linked to some or all of the following:  Mop it Up Monday and Skip to My Lou and Bedazzle Me Monday and  What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday and  Made from Scratch Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and Overflowing With Creativity and What's Cookin' Wednesday and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Link it Up Thursday and Crafty Friday (Thursday) and Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and  Home and Family Friday
Photobucket

19 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Breakfast! Oh, man, those look so, so good! Fabulous photo of a perfect food - sugar for energy, nuts for protein ... :)

Unknown said...

They look incredibly good, Judy! And I agree with Mary - fabulous photo of a perfect food!!

The Cooking Actress said...

These look so wholesome yet still like a yummy treat! You're not alone on the frozen cookie thing-my boyfriend is the same way. I, personally, think it's crazy to not love cookies fresh from the oven-but to each their own :P

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Judy they look delicious! I want to eat that photo up straight away!! I have a friend who's just started gluten free, I'll be forwarding her this recipe for sure.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

We don't usually put nuts in our chocolate chip cookies, I wonder if I would like them more if they had nuts! :) Chocolate and nuts, how can you go wrong.

Rachel said...

This looks wonderful!! I have a friend who needs gluten free recipes, I'm going to pass this along!!

Hope you are doing well!!

:)

SImple and Serene Living said...

chocolate chips and gluten free sounds good to me :)

Ruth Kelly said...

you are making me hungry. If I don't have enough flour, I add quick cooking oatmeal as a filler - it works great in muffins.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

That photo is awesome! They look delicious!

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing.

Empty Nester said...

I have chocolate chip cookie and oatmeal cookie recipes that call for that brown rice flour mix. I've started using the Red's Mill all purpose flour and it works perfectly! I like it better than the brown rice flour mix in cakes too! It's not grainy like the brown rice mix---I haven't found finely milled brown rice flour around here yet.

Spencer said...

I love cookies and this looks like an awesome recipe!

Maggie Ann said...

Things do taste better right out of the freezer....I think so anyway. I just made a box mix of brownies and they were improved by a day in the freezer.

Under Her Wings said...

Ever tried Pamela's baking mix chocolate chip cookies? How did they compare if you have?

Unknown said...

The look so good and I like gluten free cookies a lot. Sounds like a lot of extra stuff to buy?? Maybe I'll just keep buying them! I'm lazy. LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, those cookies looks very yummy :)
Have a great day my friend.

Eva

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These sound so good! My problem is not gluten...mine is sugar. I can't eat it any more. When I do, I feel nervous and bad. I sure miss home made cookies! ♥

Judy S. said...

Any ideas on how to make these dairy free? Whenever I bake dairy free, the cookies run all over the place.....

Chatty Crone said...

I am going to make those. Copied the recipe. sandie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails