Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Vintage Suit Catalog

from 1912

A couple years ago, my husband obtained these catalog pages that had been in the attic of a house, used as a 'floor' on which to pour insulation. Since all the insulation (including these pages) was being disposed of, and since he couldn't bear to see them thrown out, he brought them home. Many were damaged, but many were salvageable. They are heavy cardstock, each page about 20" x 27" and are from the catalogs that a suit salesman would carry around to stores and take orders. Each catalog also had a page of fabric swatches, so you could see just what you were getting.

And why were they in the attic of a house where they could be ruined by moisture and bat droppings? I suppose it's like anything we have today. We don't think of it as valuable now, it's only that future generation that's going to think of it as 'vintage' and wonderful.

from 1916

The color plates that are my favorites are the ones that show not only men's suits, but also show women. I love the dresses! 

 from 1918


 from 1919

Of course, this one caught my eye because of the cute dog (Welsh Terrier?) - and also the WWI uniform.


from 1920-21


from 1921


from 1923

This is probably my favorite, for it reminds me so much of Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane. It has such great elements - a train, the car, the gloves, and that cool hat - and also the fact that the woman is driving the car.

I have several of these. Hopefully, this summer I will get some of them matted and framed. I'd like to put them in the guest room, formerly known as Joe's bedroom. It's what happens when your kids get married and move away.

And this sets me up perfectly for Season Three of Downton Abbey, which will be set in the early 1920s.

Clover Blossom

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch

 This post is linked to some or all of the following:  Mop it Up Monday and Skip to My Lou and Bedazzle Me Monday and  What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday and  Made from Scratch Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and Overflowing With Creativity and What's New Wednesday and  What's Cookin' Wednesday and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Link it Up Thursday and Crafty Friday (Thursday) and Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and  Home and Family Friday
Photobucket

28 comments:

Denise said...

Wow, very nice.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Great treasures! I can't help but sit here and giggle at all the guys' long legs and skinny feet!

Midwest to Midlands said...

I love the last one too. Do you also get Upstairs Downstairs in the USA? I think you would enjoy that too. Have you ever tried watching any UK shows online on the ITV or BBC websites? Don't know if they will work in the USA just as many of the USA shows won't play on a UK location but just thought I would mention it to you.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Wow!! Those are amazing finds!

Amy Burzese said...

Oh, I love them. Lucky for you! I have some 1930s Magazines and there are fashion pages in each one and I love them too. And I see another comment is asking about Upstairs Downstairs. Why do we love those times?

Unknown said...

Those are incredibly images, Judy! What a fantastic find. And just think, skinny legged suits are coming back now too!! :)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Even though most of those fashions are almost 100 years old I can see my very tall and skinny husband in most of them, and looking good! It's amazing how men's fashions haven't changed much, really. What a fun find! Makes me look around at all the packaging junk I throw away daily (life w a 5 yr old) and wonder what I should be keeping for future generations to ooh and aah over :)

Ruth Kelly said...

I am looking forward to Downton Abbey as well but I find your pictures of the past very intriguing and I try to imagine my grandparents wearing clothes in those years.

Anonymous said...

Judy~ these are great! How fun to look at the detail.

And you know what they say about fashion...what goes around, comes around. Wait a while and what was once in fashion will be again!

Glad they were rescued. You could frame some of them for fun!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What a marvelous find! They are beautiful! I like the third one form the bottom, the pink hobble skirt. That last one does remind me of Lord Peter Whimsey, he even looks like him!
They will be beautiful framed. Do you have a Hobby Lobby? Their floating frames (two pices of glass)are very nice and there is just a narrow black edge/frame.

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

These are so cool!! I can't wait for Downton Abbey to start too :)

Paulette said...

Love, love, love them all! When these adverts are framed and hung in your guest room make sure to take photos. I know they will look stunning. Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed them.

Yenta Mary said...

These are so utterly charming!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy! I love all of these photos :)
Cannot wait for the new season of Downton Abbey!
Have a great day!
Big hugs!

Eva

Debra Hawkins said...

Oh.MY.Word. I love these!

George The Lad said...

Oh they are beautiful and deserve to be famed, I like the one with the WT or it might just be an Irish Terrier.
You must show us when they are famed and on the wall
Have a good week
Thanks for your visit
See Yea George xxx

Candace said...

omygoodness, Judy! Those are amazing! Thank you for sharing these with us. I absolutely love to see these kinds of things. I hope you can get these treasures matted and framed.

Under Her Wings said...

What a nostalgic man your hubby is! I'm impressed. Most men would throw them away with the insulation. Your post gave me inspiration for a new post on my blog! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures, Judy.

Diana Ferguson said...

Love these pics!

Unknown said...

Great finds! Makes us all think back to our favorite old movie and film stars. Thanks for the share! P.S. My daffodils are BLOOMING! Way too early! Guess I'll just enjoy them :-)

J_on_tour said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J_on_tour said...

What an absolutely amazing find, they would sit well on anyones wall ... dressed in a photo frame. It reminds me of a cross between some early postcards and Agatha Christie graphics. ... I have great imagination !!

(Sorry about the earlier grammatical error)

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love these. Great finds. It's amazing that you were able to find some in such great condition.I have an early woman's catalog that I kept for awhile and have now put in my shop.
Laura

Kate @ craftwhatever said...

Those are so cool! Good thing you have held onto them! The frames will keep them nice, too.

Carla from The River said...

Wow, what a great treasure!

laurie said...

Awesome pictures...I enjoyed looking at them!

Life Happens said...

Nice pictures to frame and will look great in your guest room.

Anonymous said...

The blokes are all so delightfully camp what what what.

Thanks for sharing these, really fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails