Monday, June 11, 2012

Banana Nut Muffins - Gluten Free - Recipe

Banana Nut Muffins, Gluten Free

You know how it goes: you've got 5 black bananas sitting on the countertop. They're not squishy, but they're totally ripe. This is the day that something has to be done with them. You either need to throw them in the garbage or make them into something delicious. Hmmm. Tough decision. I mean, seriously, how easy would it be to walk over to the garbage can and just toss them in?

But, I decided to make them into gluten-free banana nut muffins. (There still seems to be this voice in my head telling me that they must have fewer calories because they're gluten free. Not true, I know, but...) I still had some of my gluten-free mix leftover from my GF chocolate chip cookies, so I was already a step ahead.

I altered the recipe and baking time and temperature a bit from the original, which I found on allrecipes.com. I eliminated the sugar and used 2 T. maple syrup, and of course the bananas, for sweetener. As you know, bananas that are extra ripe are a lot sweeter than greenish-yellow bananas. (Ick, shudder.)

First, here's the recipe for the gluten-free flour mix which I keep on hand for recipes such as this. I store it in a large ziploc baggie:

Gluten-Free Flour Blend Recipe:

2 c. rice flour
2/3 c. potato starch
1/3 c. tapioca flour
1 t. xanthan gum

Gluten-Free Banana Nut Muffins Recipe:

2 c. gluten-free flour (above)
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. softened butter
2 T. maple syrup
2 eggs, lightly beaten (thanks for the eggs, Neighbor Bethany♥)
5 very ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 c. way-too-expensive chopt walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack centered.

Lightly grease muffin tins. (This recipe made 10 muffins).

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine butter, eggs, maple syrup, and mashed bananas until blended. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until just moist. Stir in walnuts.  Don't beat, and don't overmix.

Scoop into muffin tin, filling each muffin cup to the top.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

These are delicious, especially when hot from the oven with a little butter on them.

These are NOT a sweet, sweet muffin. The original recipe called for 1/2 c. turbinado sugar and 3 T. maple syrup. I'm glad I didn't add the sugar.

***

Don't miss our Father's Day Special
on handcrafted soaps
on through June 16.

...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at
Homemade Soap'n'Such



You'll find me at These Linky Parties:
Mop it Up Monday and French Obsession and Make it Great Monday and Bedazzle Me Monday and  What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and Make it Great Monday and  Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Cozy Home Scenes and  Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday and Maiden d'Shade and  Inspiration Board and  Your Home Cozy and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and  Made from Scratch Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and What's Cookin' Wednesday and Exodus 35 and DJs Sugar Shack and  Cast Party Wednesday and The Shady Porch and   We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Link it Up Thursday and Crafty Friday (Thursday) and Petals to Picots and  Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and Overflowing With Creativity and  Home and Family Friday





Photobucket

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Judy, and good morning from a sunny Dublin :-) I agree, it's great to make something delicious with those bananas. And it sounds/looks very tasty too.
Have a lovely day!

Eva

MadSnapper said...

i learn something new every single day in blogland. i did not even know those four ingredients for gluten free flour existed. have never seen them. and have wondered how things were made without flour. now i know. do you have to get them at a health food store?

Unknown said...

Sometimes I buy bananas just so they will turn over ripe and I can make them into bread :) I have a friend who just had to cut gluten from her diet - can't wait to share this recipe with her!

Deanna said...

Hmm...I have a couple of over-ripe bananas in the fruit bowl right now. I don't need to do the gluten-free thing but muffins do sound good. You just might have inspired me.

Lois Christensen said...

If only eating gluten free was lower calorie!!! These look delicious! Hope you're having a nice day!

SImple and Serene Living said...

These sound absolutely delicious. As soon as I start cooking again, I am going to try them out.

Eileen H said...

They sound delicious... especially when you mentioned hot from the oven with a little butter on them :-)

Cranberry Morning said...

Of course, these can also be made with just regular flour. The flours that make up my gluten-free mix can be found at a health food store, but are often found at a regular grocery store in their health food or gluten-free section. Just ask. They might shelve them in some odd place that you might not think of looking.

RURAL said...

I like how you refer to the nuts as being wayyy to expensive. Everything is expensive lately..lol.

But that said, I might just give those muffins a try.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Strange thing, I hate bananas, but love banana muffins!! They look really good. You just need a little cinnamon in them!

Ruth Kelly said...

They sound delicious. I just made some spelt flour blueberry muffins which turned out too good!!!

Yenta Mary said...

It's hard to go wrong with banana muffins, a universal favorite! Perfect with coffee, tea, or just because ... :)

Debra Hawkins said...

These look amazing! I need to get my hands on some potato starch!

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

Yummy, yummy!

Denise said...

Yummy in my tummy.

laurie said...

I'll pass this recipe on to one of my friends..she has 2 kids that have a gluten free diet. Thanks!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These sound good. I have to be concerned with sugar and these would be recipes I could use. And they are so much better with the way to expensive nuts! heehee!

Under Her Wings said...

I usually use Pamela's mix when I make gluten free breads, but I have a friend who uses all gluten free in baking, and I'm going to send her this recipe. Perhaps this is a combo that she hasn't used. Thanks for the recipe, Judy.

Shannon said...

YAY!! A good GF recipe!!! So glad you linked up at the Summer Fun Party!!

Shannon@SewSweetCottage

Chatty Crone said...

I pinned this one - it looks great and it's gluten free. sandie

Unknown said...

Hi!

I'm Shar! Your newest follower from the blog hop!

Come visit me over at: http://sharmartinez.blogspot.com

They look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this!

xoxo -Shar

Unknown said...

I'm always a sucker for a good banana nut muffin! Have loved them since childhood! Now if my bananas would just last long enough around here to ripen... I have a monkey and hubby that like them A LOT!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Judy, these look FABULOUS!! And I am so thrilled to see a GF recipe linked up again!! Sometimes I look at my party and am so sad I can't try all of the yummy treats linked up. Can't wait to try this one! We've been GF for two months now and I love finding great recipes like these! Thanks for linking up!
{HUGS},
kristi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails