Friday, March 28, 2014

Best Omelette Recipe, Hemel Hempstead - Anglophile Friday

Best Omelette Recipe
In my opinion, of course

Ingredient list:

2 eggs
Celery
Broccoli
Onion
Peppers
Bacon (gluten free, nitrate/nitrite free, MSG free)
Stilton Cheese
(this was Stilton with apricot, although I'm partial to Stilton with cranberry - of course)


Saute veggies. (I always make the bacon way ahead of time and keep it in the freezer). Set aside on a plate.
Whisk eggs.
Pour into a no-stick skillet that's at med-high heat
Swirl eggs around by tipping the skillet back and forth and around to cover the bottom of pan.
Turn to low and cover for about 30 seconds. You can peek and see if it's wet looking on top but not runny and not dry. If so, it's perfect!
Uncover, add veggies and bacon and top with cheese on one side of the omelette. Cover, take skillet off burner, and let sit about 30 seconds. You don't want anything to make that omelette brown. Ewwww on brown eggs.
Roll omelette out onto plate.

Didn't the title read 'Anglophile Friday???'
Yes, you read that right. But please just bear with me. You'll eventually understand why I dared label this 'Anglophile Friday.'


 Yummy Apricot Stilton
A surprise from my husband,
who got it at the Eau Galle Cheese Factory
(and of course we know it was made in England, not in Eau Galle) 

But I covered that topic in another post. Read it HERE


This was delicious!

Henry Crabbe, owner/chef of the restaurant 'Pie in the Sky' makes a terrific omelette. Mine isn't too bad either.

Henry Crabbe, our new favorite detective/restaurateur
Mystery/Drama/FUN

Yes, another great British mystery show.
Who can NOT love their sense of humor!


And, I found out that at least some of the episodes were filmed on location at Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire, England.

From Hemelonline.com:


"Hemel Hempstead is a town in Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom with a population of 81,143 at the United Kingdom Census 2001 (but now estimated at around 89,000 by Hertfordshire County Council). Developed after World War II as a new town, it has existed as a settlement since the 8th century. It is part of the district (and borough since 1984) of Dacorum and the Hemel Hempstead constituency.

Origin of the name

The settlement was called by the name Henamsted or Hean-Hempsted, i.e. High Hempstead, in Anglo-Saxon times and in William the Conqueror's time by the name of Hemel-Amstede. The name is referred to in the Domes day Book as "Hamelamesede", but in later centuries it became Hamelhamsted. Another opinion is that Hemel probably came from "Haemele" which was the name of the district in the 8th century and is most likely either the name of the land owner, or could mean "broken country".  Pre-World War II residents knew it affectionately as "Hempstead" whereas the majority of present day residents simply call it "Hemel"."

You can read more about it, here: Hemel Hempstead.

Photo via en.wikipedia.org
Hemel Hempstead

If I ever get back to England, I just might look up Hemel Hempstead. And a sad note about the TV series - Richard Griffiths, the actor who played the lovable Henry Crabbe, died exactly a year ago today -  on March 28, 2013, at University Hospital, Coventry, of complications after heart surgery. He was 65.


Some of you might know Richard Griffiths from the Harry Potter movies.


***

Check out my handcrafted, vegan soaps
Buy Any Five, Get One Free

'French Lilac & Lavender'
Natural, handcrafted vegan soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



Although I usually forget to do it, there is an outside chance that this post will be linked to one or more of the following: Inspiration Monday and  Mosaic Monday and The Marketplace  and Market Yourself Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Treasure Box Tuesday  and  Knick of Time Tuesday (vintage)  and   Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday  and What we Accomplished Wednesday and Whatever Goes Wednesday and  Adorned From Above  and Rurality Blog Hop and  All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday and Good Fences and  Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Weekend Reflections and  Freedom Fridays and From the Farm and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and The Charm of Home and  Share Your Creativity and A Favorite Thing Saturday and Weekly Top Shot and Shadow Shot Sunday and  Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday

21 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Your omelette looks so yummy, Judy. A lovely post and I like the connection to Anglophile Friday. Well done. :)

Susie said...

That is a wonderful filling omelette. I love when you show pictures of England. Hope your weekend is a great one. xoxo,Susie

Denise said...

That omelette looks delicious.

Unknown said...

Okay, that omelette looks really good... I wish I had it sitting on a plate in front of me right now!!

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Yum! Greg and I love omelette's and you had us on this one with the bacon and broccoli! Have a great weekend and I hope it's warming up for you a little now.

MadSnapper said...

all of your food pics are great shots. i love apricot anything...

Vee said...

Whoaaa...that's a whole lot going on, but as the talented cook and writer you are, you brought it in for a landing! I was very interested in the discussion of Hemel Hempstead because the name in its original form is a family one. Awww...I did not know that about this actor. What I often find rather eerie is that I'll be curious about this or that person and, upon looking him up, find that it is the anniversary or close to the anniversary of his passing.

Anonymous said...

A great post and your omelette looks delicious. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Terri D said...

That omelette looks and sounds SO good!! I need to look for some of that chemical-free bacon - we do love our bacon!

TexWisGirl said...

i knew that face from somewhere. thanks for clarifying his actor status. :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your omelette sounds delicious! Have a wonderful weekend.....

Maggie Ann said...

Yum! A great day for an omelette. and I'll have to look for a clip from 'Pie in the Sky'

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I will have to see if I can find that show, sounds interesting.
Thanks for the tips on making omelettes. I have never been able to figure out the art. But I usually like my eggs plain.

camp and cottage living said...

Judy
I'm sure it won't surprise you to know that I have the entire "Pie in the Sky' series! When we are in the Yukon we don't usually get many TV choices, so we take along many DVD's. I bought this series two years ago. I'm so sorry to hear Mr. Griffiths has passed, and at such a young age.
I believe Henry would be quite proud of the omelet you made today. I have to say it sounds delicious with all of the unusual (to me) ingredients you've used!
Yes, so many places to visit in England. I believe I read that Henry's restaurant was really a bakery...

Ruth Kelly said...

We stayed one night in Hemel Hempstead. My daughter's first missionary companion was from there and we met her parents. I don't know about celery and broccoli in my omelet but I'd love to try either one of those cheeses you mentioned.

Trace4J said...

Oh my that looks so yummy.
I sure would love one right now.
Have a wonderful Weekend.
Woolie HUGS

Lynn Blaylock said...

That omelette looks very good. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I too, love your pictures from England. Have a wonderful weekend!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I loved that post! My grand-motehr's cousin lives in Hemel Hempstaed and it's a darling little town. There are also many things to visit around; my favourite is the town of Saint Alban, I think.

Deborah Montgomery said...

that omelette looks delicious! We love British series, I will have to look this one up. That town looks charming. My first visit here, will be back again!

J_on_tour said...

Ooo ... you've led us on a journey ... Hemel Hempstead .... LOL ... never been either

Samantha said...

The town I grew up in, Luton is very near to Hemel & St Albans that someone else mentioned. St Albans was a very prominent Roman town called Verulanium and well worth a visit, as there are still mosaic floors from the baths among other ruins!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails