Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Little Things I Love - Wednesday Hodgepodge

Longing for Apple Blossoms and Lilacs
Can't be too long now, can it??



Join us at Joyce's Wednesday Hodgepodge!
Thanks, Joyce

1. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Are you blooming where you're planted as we begin the month of May?

 April 1, 2012
No sign of May flowers yet this year
Lots of rain/snow still falling

I'd say that I'm blooming where I'm planted. Here, in the country in NW Wisconsin is definitely where I belong. (except during those miserable months of January, February, and March. But I guess they're the price we have to pay for living in such a beautiful place the rest of the year.)


2. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being no big deal, and 10 being full scale panic, rank your fear of spiders.

 A friendly little fella, photo taken in 2010
He must have been on our wall.

My fear of spiders is close to ZERO. Maybe a 1, and that's only if I think they're poisonous. No one ever taught me to be afraid of spiders, UNlike my successful mouse-fear teachers - who will remain anonymous, but who used to tell me that a mouse would crawl up my pant leg. Yikes! It's not that mice aren't cute, but they SCURRY. Shudder.....  My first Mouse Post ... And another Mouse Post.
So it's mice, not spiders, that scare me. And besides, who would be afraid of sweet, kind, lovable Charlotte???

fanpop.com

3. May is National Salad Month (who knew???)...besides lettuce, what are two must-have ingredients in your favorite salad?

 Something like this
but this one is missing the peppers

Nothing worse than ordering a salad in a restaurant and getting iceberg lettuce and a hunk of hard, unripened tomato. Disgusting. And then they expect you to pay for it. My salads at home are made of two different types of lettuces (neither of which is iceberg - usually), dried or ripe tomatoes, red and green pepper slices, Kalamata olives, feta cheese, English cucumbers, onion, black pepper. I can't have only two other ingredients. Sorry.

4. I mentioned on my blog last week that my Daughter1 will be moving to Washington State after she is married. Of the following sites in the Northwest, which would you most like to see in person-Crater Lake (Oregon), Seattle (Washington), Vancouver (British Columbia), San Juan Islands (Washington),  Mt. Rainer (Washington) Oregon Coast (Oregon), Mt. St. Helens (Washington), or Olympic National Park (Washington)


I would love to visit Vancouver, but only if I could fly there. Driving west from NW Wisconsin, there's a whole lot of flat land before you get to something interesting like Great Falls, MT. Not that the Dakotas and eastern Montana aren't beautiful in their own way, but I've been across the Great Plains in a train. I could fall asleep and wake up a half hour later and the scenery would be exactly the same. Maybe a different elk.

Who are these 'overpopulation' people and have they ever visited middle America????

And now that I've offended everyone who lives in the Great Plains region, I'll have to admit that it's a marvelous part of the country, the bread basket of America, and the fields of sunflowers and wheat are truly gorgeous! And, it is truly awesome country! So please forgive me. I'm just more of a trees and hills kind of person.

5. This coming weekend marks the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby...when did you last race (literally or figuratively) to cross a finish line?


 Okay, I'll admit that I didn't race up these steps!

I am still working on getting to my finish line. My goal, after hip replacement around New Years, is to run up and down the stairs again. I was telling the PT that I haven't walked up a flight of stairs  since I was about 5 (okay, maybe not quite literally, but almost). I don't know what the deal is, but even with my bad hip, I was usually able to run up the stairs. So much time is wasted walking up steps (because we all know that I never waste time on the computer, right???)  Anyway, that's one race I plan to win - getting to the point where I can run up a flight up steps.

6. What is something little you love?

Lucy

Seriously? Something little I love??  No hesitaton - Lucy, our newest grandchild, born March 29.


 Lucy and her mama




7. Would you say you are more of a visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learner? Elaborate.



I would say visual, because when I'm reading I need to know exactly where a place is, see it on a map, read charts and graphs to understand things better (obsessive about knowing the correct pronunciation of place names!), but then if it's getting the news, sometimes the audio is better for me because then I'm not distracted by the visual. And then there's the kinesthetic aspect. Yeah, I'd say probably some of that too. With many projects, I'd rather just do it intuitively, figure it out as I go along, rather than read the stupid instructions. But there are other times where I follow instructions to the minutest detail (like my own soap recipes, so I can count on each batch turning out the same).

So I guess this proves I have a split personality and need therapy NOW. (I'm hoping that's just a joke.)

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


How humiliating! 
  I hope the horse can't read.


This is a week of horrid weather events across mid  and eastern America. We've been hearing of tornadoes and the resulting loss of life and/or homes. So many people's lives were changed instantly, and they're trying to figure out what to do next. We should be remembering to pray for them. It's a good reminder to us as bystanders that nothing about life is certain, that we need to focus on the things that are really important and let the little stuff go.




Have a wonderful Wednesday!

***

Don't miss our Springtime Giveaway!
Three Winners!
Ends Friday Night



 Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

32 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh that spider totally creeped me out!!! I couldn't even concentrate reading the rest of your post. I'm thinking my fear on a 1-10 is a 12!! Hate hate them. *shudders!*

Nancy's Notes said...

What a fun post! Spiders...eeekkkkk!Oh my, love all that you put in your salads. Been to all of those awesome places, neat place that your daughter is moving too! What a precious grandbaby. Congratulations!
Have a great day~
Nancy

Denise said...

Enjoyed your answers.

podso said...

Love these interesting posts you do. Your salad looks like mine. Just this year I've stopped running up and down the stairs due to my knee and was just talking the other day to my husband wondering if I'll ever run them again! Hope so! I usually did the stairs up and down to the 8th floor at my job at the hospital--maybe that's why my knees are in the state they are! I would add snakes to mice for dislikes. Bats aren't too fun either!

Anonymous said...

Lucy is beautiful, and all that hair!
My husband can relate to the mouse up the trouser leg. One time one of our cats brought a live one into the house and dropped it. We were trying to find it to get it out. Next thing, my husband was shaking his leg furiously and removing his jeans. I confess I laughed, but I wouldn't have it it was in my jeans!

MadSnapper said...

first things first, that spider would dead as soon as i could get bob to come kill it. those kind JUMP.. really they do.. yikes. and mice are adorable but not if they get on me.
love that first flower shot.
i love Florida but the bad 3 months are July/Aug/Sept

never raced in my life, but at age 10 and 11 i did the running broad jump at school. does that count??

Lucy is so beautiful

Jhona O. said...

I had to quickly pass by your spider picture...but I sure did love all of the other gorgeous photos! Fun hodgepode! Thanks for the laughs!

J said...

I enjoyed reading your answers and comparing them to my own. Lucy is so beautiful!
I think I'd fear spiders more if we lived in an area where they were poisonous.

TexWisGirl said...

laughing at the horse humor. :) my sis is very afraid of spiders, yet she is fascinated by them - we also loved charlotte's web. she has several 'fake spiders and webs' adorning her windows at home.

sweet lucy. :)

Down Blueberry Lane said...

This has been a fun post. I'm the same about the spiders and mice. Snakes can be added to the list of fears. YUCK! I am a visual and hands on learner. Have a great day!!

retired not tired said...

Wonderful answers and great pictures. Loved the trillums.

Marla said...

Your "little something to love" is the best!

Vee said...

Little Lucy...sweet baby...what a doll! The slow horse sign made me laugh!

April said...

Your random thought is right on the money. My home state of Arkansas got hit hard with a tornado, but I'm thankful that my family/friends are OK. Life certainly can change on the turn of a dime. Love all your beautiful photos.

Debbie said...

Good morning! Enjoyed this..now where to start. First, your salad sounds wonderful and definitely one I'd make too. And such beautiful photos. Needing to replace both of my knees, your post inspires me to get going on it. Dreading it so. And yet soo tired of limitations. Not that those steps look like anything I'd be running up good knees or not, lol Enjoy your day!

A Joyful Chaos said...

LOL about the slow horse sign.

Sweet little Lucy, so precious!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Love the slow horse sign! haha! I love reading the Q&A's on Hodgepodge Wednesday. Fun!

Unknown said...

I'd smack that spider with my hand if I didn't have anything else available - my fear of them vanished when one bit my daughter's cheek - dangerously close to her eye - I became a Mama Bear around them after that LOL - but show me centipede or a mouse and I almost collapse in fear - go figure !
Love this series Judy - so much fun to read your replies along with your beautiful photos !
XOXO

Susan said...

Wow. That was a great post with super photos, too. Great job! Susan p.s. Unlike you, spiders creep me out big time. hee hee

genie said...

What a great collection of shots in this post. But, oh, my...I do NOT like the spiders. They rank a 15 rank on my fear scale. The flowers calm me and make me think lovely thoughts.

L. D. said...

It is a great posting. I like to get out a map location for my own bearings of where in the world are you? I have followed blogs for a while and realized they were in a different location than I thought. Beautiful photos.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I agree that Wisconsin sounds perfect to me. Your salad looks delicious. Best of luck with running up some stairs. Yes, Lucy is definitely a little one to love. I want one!!! I do love a well planned map when I'm going somewhere.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love those post and don't hate but I just killed a big spider that was in the front porch...

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Wonderful colours in those flowers. National Salad Month - really? Who makes these things up? - presumably greeting card manufacturers (or in this case market gardeners). Awful to hear about the terrible weather some of you across the Pond are experiencing - our thoughts are with you.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Fun post!
I don't think there is much reason to be afraid of mice. All the ones I have met have been much more interested in finding a corner to hide in then scurrying up my pant leg. We had a Christmas mouse once. He was nibbling on the candy box under the tree. We finally trapped him in a box and had to turn him out into the cold snowy night. Poor little Henry!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

And another thing - what's with the map of Yorkshire?

Terri D said...

I love that you give us visuals with your Hodgepodge answers!! A fun post, indeed!! Prayers continue for all those who have suffered loss in the awful storms these past few days. Thanks for the reminder!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Spiders don't scare me, or mice. Just cougars. That is my big fear. :)Speaking of living in the Northwest....I live in the foothills of the Cascades in Washington State near Mt. Rainier. I know you will love going to visit your loved ones in the PNW.
I love everything on my salads, whatever I have in the house at the time - those restaurant salads are awful. Even when they use other greens besides iceberg lettuce, you can't even chew them. And I still have all my teeth! Lol! Hope you have a great week. xo Karen

Bossy Betty said...

Love your Hodgepodge! Lots going on. I don't get freaked out at spiders either. Lucy is BEAUTIFUL!!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That was fun...well, except for a photo I had to hurry past. And I think I would need a dictionary to answer that one question. haha! I ran in races until I was in my 40s...so it's been awhile since I ran across a finish line. (I walked in a few since then though) Enjoy your week! LOVE seeing the wee babe! Hugs, Diane

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

My favorite salads include cucumbers and cilantro in large quantities. Wish I had your attitude about spiders, but I'm afraid I don't and never will. I call my husband in to deal with even a harmless daddy longlegs!

Cynthia said...

What a great post, spider, YIKES 10!!!! The thing that I love the most in the world without question is my husband and our two pups!! There is nothing I wouldn't for all of them.

Cynthia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails