Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hodgepodge with Zinneas - Update on Noah

Happy Zinnea

UPDATE ON NOAH:
Original post HERE.
 
It looks like Noah will be moved out of ICU today and into a regular room,
only 1 week after falling 6 stories onto concrete.
The only tubes remaining are an IV. This is such wonderful news! 
Thank you for praying, friends!

 Praise  God!


***

Join Joyce and the Gang over at
From This Side of the Pond
Click on the button below
and add your own
Wednesday Hodgepodge post.



1. "Summer is like childhood. It's full of warm memories and gone too soon."~Kellie Elmore  Agree or disagree? Share something you loved about the summers of your childhood.

I loved riding my horse, jumping him over stacked hay bales; running across a freshly cut hay field stubble on my bare, calloused feet; smelling the fresh hay; going swimming at Silver Lake after chores. Ah, yes. Sigh. Wonderful memories.

2. Are you a fan of auto racing-NASCAR, Indy, Stock, Grand Prix, etc? Ever been to a race in person? Any desire to do this?  Do you know a lot about cars? Do you notice particular makes and models when you're out and about?

I know nothing about cars and can distinguish them only by color and size, usually. You know, 'It was a big red car, Officer.' I don't get excited about different makes and models unless it's an olive green Mazda Miata with tan leather seats. Other than that, they're simply a means to an end.  While others are watching NASCAR, I'm watching a British Mystery DVD. But, when I was a kid I went to a few local stock car races. Those were fun. The other night our son showed me a video he had taken at the Barron County Fair demo derby. That was fun to watch, and not something I'd bother to go to, EXCEPT it's definitely something I'd love to take our grandsons to. I know they would love it! Maybe next July.




3. What's something you think is too serious to be joked about? Or do you think anything and everything is fair game?

Death. Usually. Generally speaking, there are a few cute jokes out there, but more like the old Milton Berle silly jokes, and certainly no personal jokes. God is serious business, but I have heard a few cute jokes about Heaven. Personally, I don't think anything and everything is fair game, but people have to use their own judgement. If we're trying to decide whether something is appropriate, it is probably a good rule of thumb to just leave it. Leave it!

All Ole and Lena jokes are out of bounds. Not because I'm sensitive about being of Scandinavian descent, but because they are so lame. So lame.


4. July 29th is National Lasagna Day. Are you a fan? Do you have a great recipe, and if so where did it come from? If given a choice would you choose a plate of lasagna or a plate of spaghetti?

I love lasagna. I make it with Tinkyada gluten-free noodles. I think it's time to make it again. Ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, what's not to like? Actually what's not to like is the amount of salt in the cheese. Then again, it's not like we have it every day. Making lasagna is such monkey business, though, that I always make two pans, one to freeze and one to eat. Too much work to go to for one measly pan of lasagna.

 When I woke up this morning, it felt like
I should build a small fire in the stove.
Already??

5. What's a simple pleasure you'd miss if it were not a regular part of your life?

Enjoying wood. Our barn is made of wood, our furniture is made of wood, our bookshelves are made of wood, our books are made from wood, we burn wood to stay warm in the winter, we look at the beautiful trees year 'round, etc. Wood is an amazing thing. 

Drinking coffee in the early-morning quiet with the dogs lying at my feet.



6. If you could be the CEO of any company, which would you choose?

None, thank you. Well, maybe Exxon Mobil. Then I'd immediately resign after giving myself a huge severance deal of several million dollars. Would they even notice?

7. August is just around the bend...bid farewell to July in exactly seven words.

 Family coming August. Hasta la vista July. 


 The grandsons
Taken at last August's family reunion
Can't wait to have them together again!


8. Insert your own random thought here.

Our daughter is traveling to Austria next month, alone. I'm happy for her to have this trip, but I don't really like it that she's going alone. Our youngest son gave us a movie to watch, 'Taken.' I refuse to watch it until our daughter is once again safe at home.

Neighborhood coyotes kept me awake last night with all their crying and squealing.
 
I've got the Today Show on as I type this and Lady Gaga (never seen her before) is on with Tony Bennett. She reminded me of someone...who?...and at last I realized it was the secretary from Doc Martin. Yeah, she reminds me of  Pauline. But kinda like Pauline got carried away with the crayons. And Pauline's funnier. I miss her.




*** 

Check out my natural, handcrafted, vegan soaps
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

'Lemon Verbena'

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

31 comments:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I love lasagna - all kinds, but my favorite is still my mother's recipe. Someday I will have to put in on the blog. Aren't zinnias pretty right now?

Cathy said...

Those are some absolutely gorgeous flowers. Wow!!

Hope you have a blast with your grandsons!

Stacy said...

Loved the zinnea photos. They are my favorite.

Vee said...

What an astute observation! She is a little or a lot like Pauline...the same sort of vagueness and everything.

Cheryl said...

Thank you for the update on little Noah...more good news!!

Clever you, giving yourself that huge severance package! :D

Beautiful zinnias...I love them!

Joyce said...

Taken is not for the faint of heart. I've seen it several times, still makes my heart pound. On the flip side, I've traveled on my own, not often but a few times, and Europe in general is a good place to do so. I love Austria-a beautiful country! I'm happy to read the update on Noah. God is still working miracles!

TexWisGirl said...

loved your blooms. august sounds like a good month for you. :) i liked your answer about wood and coffee, too. :)

Debbie said...

I will have to try out those lasagna noodles, though calorie wise I'd probably should just leave it alone. LOVE the zinnea pic! Enjoy your day!

Debbie said...

Oh, and such good news on Noah! Praise God!

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That's great news about Noah!

I loved your sweet summer memories :)

Having the grandsons all together again will be awesome! Think of the memories they'll be making :)

April said...

Just read about what happened to Noah...my goodness, how frightening! Will keep him in my prayers as he continues to recover. Always enjoy seeing your beautiful photos.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love your zinnias!! One of my favorite flowers. Since we have a new yard to garden in and are still figuring out what to put where, we went and got two huge pots for the back patio. We were missing flowers!!

Lasagna is not friendly to me or my sister so we rarely have it. Like you said it is a lot of monkey business, especially if one really shouldn't eat it!

Linda said...

What wonderful news about Noah!! Keeping him and you in prayer.

Great answers, now, Taken has nothing to do with visiting another country..just saying..good movie..--keeping your daughter in prayer.

Loved your pictures too. Blessings

Empty Nester said...

That is FANTASTIC news about Noah! So glad to hear it! I hope you'll post a picture from this year's reunion with the one you just put up so we can see how much they've grown! All this talk of lasagna is driving me nuts! I'm going to make some. LOL

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, so beautiful, loved seeing the Zinnia blooms, Blessings Francine.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Love all of the fun thoughts on this post! We would make a pair...we think so much alike! But what about blond jokes? Or Southern accents? hahaha! I might get my feelings hurt! lol Sweet hugs, Diane

L. D. said...

Your grandsons are a cute and handsome bunch. I am anxious for my zinnias to bloom but they just now have formed buds.

Terri D said...

Those boys look like they are ALL boy - especially that ornery youngest one! They are all too darn cute for their own good. Gotta hug 'em and love 'em!!

So happy to hear the good news about Noah! He will remain in my prayers!!

Taken is a tough movie. The second one is, as well. Hopefully your daughter is much smarter than the teens in Taken.

Nikki said...

I hope Noah will be okay, that sounds awful ! :(
I do love lasagna too but i try and not eat it all the time. ;)
Have a great week, hopefully the new flea formula will work for Tango. :)

Donna said...

Great news for Noah! Best wishes for his continued improvement!

Valerie said...

So glad to hear good news about Noah. Your zinnias are absolutely gorgeous.
Enjoyed your answers.
Blessings, Valerie

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

What wonderful news about Noah! God does answer prayers.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh My! I just clicked over to read about Noah. how frightening, but what a lucky guy he is. So glad he's doing better. I'll say a prayer for him and his family. God is good. Your Zinnias are so pretty. laurie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is wonderful news on Noah. I love the power of prayer. How nice to grow up with a horse. Great idea making two batches, it's a lot of work but definitely worth it! Love your answer on the simple pleasure you get from wood. Your August sounds wonderful....enjoy! I agree, don't watch taken yet. Lady Gaga is something else to look at but deep down she has an amazing heart.

Decor To Adore said...

What a precious miracle your Noah is! I will pray that he continues to heal and bless others.

Praise Jesus!

podso said...

So happy to hear the news of Noah. I have thought of him often.

Ida said...

Sorry I haven't visited in such a long time. I just read about Noah and am so thankful God is good and that this little boy is doing much better. That had to have been so scary for everyone involved. Praise God for His wonderful love for this child.
Enjoyed reading your thoughts here on the different subjects.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

These photos of your zinnias are very pretty. I love those flowers. I sure hope and pray Noah is doing better. Glad to hear he's been moved into a regular room now.

Carla from The River said...

Coffee...I am with you on this one. :-)
August is my favorite month. :-)

Balista said...

biggg news for Noah.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails