Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Robin Family and the Wednesday Hodgepodge

 The hungry family who live on our front porch rafters


The mama, perched in the cranberry bush, waiting us to leave so she can deliver breakfast



Join Joyce and the Crew
at 'From This Side of the Pond'
every Wednesday
for

Thanks, Joyce!

1. When I look at the sky I feel so grateful that there is a sovereign, gracious God who made the universe and everything in it, who loves us and wants us to love Him and delight in Him, who gave us all good things to enjoy and to reflect His glory. I am grateful that He is a God of justice, but also a God of mercy. I'm glad He gave us beauty and music and family and love...I really could go on and on...

 'It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, 
because his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning.
Great is thy faithfulness.'

Lamentations 3:22-23 


 July Sky



And speaking of family...
You should see the one that got away!


2. If you had to run for political office, which one would you run for? Do you have any real desire to actually do this?   Unless someone is totally selfless and devoted to upholding the Constitution and willing to put all their time and energy into making our country better and solvent, I don't think they should run at all. Do you know any people like that? I think it's been a long time since we've seen that type of person running for office.  As for me, if nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.


Baked by Daddy

3. What scent makes you think of home? Unlike the photo above, a beef pot roast. My mom would put it in the oven before we left for church on Sunday.

4. How often do you take a step back to think about where you're headed in life? Do you need more or less self-reflection?  I know why I'm here and where I'm headed, but the journey along the way needs some contemplation, prayer, confession, forgiveness, and refreshment from time to time - like daily (or sometimes moment by moment.)


 Astilbe in July
 
5. July is National Ice Cream Month...besides a cone, what's your favorite food item to top with ice cream?  If I ate ice cream, my favorite food to put it on would be apple pie. Or blueberry pie. Or peach pie. But if I ate ice cream, I would most likely put it on nothing at all. And it would be New York Cherry or Georgia Peach. And plenty of it.

 Then again, there are few things better than peach pie.


6. What might your autobiography be called?  A Life, In Two Pages (to help out that kid, like I was, who is looking for a quick book report.)


My Dragonwing Begonia that wintered over in the house
Happy to be out on the deck this summer


7. Your least favorite mode of transportation? Why?  Ship across the ocean. I watched Titanic.  And, I can't imagine not feeling claustrophobic on a ship out on the ocean, creeping its way toward my destination.



Seafaring Vikings, braver than I

8.  Insert your own random thought here.  The raspberries in the garden are ready, which means the end of summer is near. Those Six Dreaded Words. I see blight creeping up on my tomatoes and I don't know if they're going to mature before the blight gets to them. I'm afraid that next year if we want to get tomatoes we'll have to plant them in big containers and use only potting soil. I wonder if there is a sure way to prevent blight. I've tried all the suggestions from the county extension office, and they're not working for me, so I'm open to any suggestions from my fellow bloggers. I know that one suggestion is to move them to a different location, but we have a 50' x 50' garden that is fenced in. I can't move that.


Slim pickins on the first day, but a good crop coming along

***


Check out all my handcrafted, vegan soaps.
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

'Frosted Apple Spice'

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at


Although I usually forget to do it, there is a chance that this post will be linked to one or more of these great linky parties: Inspiration Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday and Treasure Box Tuesday and KatheWithAnE and Rubbish Tuesday and Tuesday with a Twist and  Knick of Time Tuesday (vintage)  and   Tweak it Tuesday and Adorned From Above  and All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and Good Fences on Thursdays and  Time Travel Thursday and Freedom Fridays and Junkin' Joe and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Precious Pets and Saturday's Critters

42 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

You say your raspberries are maturing and it's a sign that Fall is on its way?!!! I'm all for that. Last night at 9:30 it was still 91 degrees. The cooler nights of Autumn sounds fantastic 'bout now.

So, you're not an ocean voyager then, huh? Me either. At least weeks' long voyages.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful post, Judy. I have Astilbe in my garden, but never knew what it was called since it was here when we moved into our home. Thanks to you I now know it's proper name :) It's such a lovely flower.

The robins are simply precious and make me smile.

Enjoy your day! Hugs

EG CameraGirl said...

Those raspberries look mighty delicious. Lucky you to have gotten a front row seat to watch those robins. And I really like the photo of the young boy and his fish.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

My mom did the same thing every Sunday with the roast and potatoes. She would put in in the oven before we left for church and I still can smell that beautiful "home" smell that would welcome us when we walked in the door.

Thanks for the sweet memory!

Debby Ray said...

Judy. I love all of your hodgepodge answers, especially the first one about the clouds...that is my heart as well. Your photos are all so lovely...darling robin family... and pie on my ice cream (or ice cream on my pie) is my favorite topping! Those raspberries look WONDERFUL but don't be offended if the fish with the heads on...not so much :(

Terri D said...

It was a fun, contemplative, Hodgepodge this week! I'm enjoying the answers. Your photos are wonderful, as always, and what a proud boy to make that big catch!! I am not one to even try to give advice on growing anything, since I am not good at it. Good luck, and I hope some folks come up with new ideas for you to try with your tomatoes next year.

TexWisGirl said...

love the robin family! not a fan of fish for a meal, but pie and ice cream - you bet! :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Oh my gosh that baked fish looks totally amazing!! The raspberries do as well :)

Anonymous said...

All of your photographs are delightful :) I don't know who's cuter, the little one with his fish or the little ones in the nest on your porch rafters!

We have trouble growing good tomatoes, as well. We usually end up losing about 2/3 of what we plant (so we plant a lot!).

We tried the potting soil and container method,and the tomatoes didn't die or have disease, but the fruit didn't grow as large or as plentiful as it does on bushes in the garden.

MadSnapper said...

your photos are absolutely awesome today. ALL of them.. when I look at the sky I know there is a God.. i would not run or serve either and i don't know a single person that i would vote for.. we are SUNK

i had to LOL at your life in 2 pages.... mine would be a book so heavy it would hurt our hands to hold it and the tile would be Shocked to the Core.. read this and you will be...

Linda said...

Thanks Judy, sure loved your answers. Especially #4. Blessings

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Looks at the sweet little birdies.
Great catch! Pot roast, great smells with that one and would certainly take me home. Good answer on the ship. I've never taken a cruise because it does scare me. How awesome to have fresh raspberries!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Love the pictures of your robin. We had a nest in our front tree a few years ago. So fun watching them hatch!

Primitive Stars said...

Aww, love the wee Robins, sweet...great catch, look yummy, Blessings Francine.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Judy, I really enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge today and seeing all the pretty pictures. Especially that good looking grandson of yours. He is a doll. I wish we could say summer is almost over down here. We are just getting into the hottest part of the summer for us - August. I wish you had some of the beautiful peaches I bought today for putting into the freezer.

Joyce said...

Your raspberries look gorgeous! That verse in Lamentations is I think my favorite verse in the Bible. I have it memorized and say it often.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Judy, the first picture is such a sweet one. I see a lot of robins around here, and taking pictures of birds is one of my favorite things to do. This peach pie looks so delicious. I wish I had a piece to go with my tea right now.

I always enjoy visiting with you. Your corner of the world is so charming. I hope you are enjoying the summer days.

~Sheri

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i would say that i enjoy our boat rides, if i know i am able to walk around when i want to. if i was worried i was stuck in one place that would drive me nuts. i have only been on a couple planes. one was too small. the other the man sitting next to me continued to fall asleep laying on my arm? creepy. the hubby was on the other side. it was weird??!

i love the minion shirt. too cute!! ( :

Nikki said...

Oh peach cobbler! yum! :)
It's actually going to warm up here this week supposed to be low 90's tomorrow through sunday. I like warm nights but the day time no..
Is your grand dog a boarder collie mix? I had a dog just like him years ago. :)

The Gathering Place said...

Red barns, fresh pie, flowers, and grandkids- can't get much better than that!

Roan said...

Cute babies! And that's one big fish. He won't have to come up with a story for that one. I'm with you on the ship! I saw Titanic, too. Everyone is always talking about taking cruises, but it has NO appeal to me at all. It would be like vacationing in a hotel that you have to worry about sinking. lol

Donna said...

The baby birds are a little on the homely side, but cute in their own way. I was just thinking today about how summer is already winding down. At least the growing season. Our daylily blooms are in the single digits now, and they should be completely done in the next week. Vegetation is already looking tired.

When we had a garden, we always rotated the location of our tomatoes. And we always got plants that were resistant to such diseases. You can always use containers as an alternative, and change out the soil each year.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The answers you gave are priceless. I like what you said about traveling by ship...that pretty much sums up how I feel. LOVE that big fish the little one caught! YUM YUM! Sweet hugs, Diane

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy! I found your blog through Valerie's. Thank you for sharing all your photographs. You have a sweet family. :-)

Mama Hen said...

I love the robins pictures! Beautiful! The apple pie and ice cream picture make me wish I had apple pie. What a fish! Little Chick just read the Laura Ingalls Wilder series and has been asking me to go fishing with her because Laura went all the time. Something we have to do. The raspberries look refreshing! Happy birthday to your son. My daughter turns eight on Saturday and will be very excited to see what surprise I have for her. I am sure you will enjoy the pictures when I post them. :) Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Valerie said...

How adorable are those birds! My mother used to cook pot roast every Sunday. It smelled heavenly when we came in from church. =) I love your title it made me smile! Sometimes...less is more. Especially when it comes to book reports.
Peach pie is one of my favorites too.
Blessings, Valerie

Buttercup said...

Great questions. I'm an ice cream fan, and yes, I like it on pie, I'm quite happy to eat it just as it is and enjoy the ice cream's flavor. I used to love flying, but it's rapidly becoming my least favorite way to get anywhere.

podso said...

Ha ha I tell my husband I am not the only one that does not want to be stuck on a ship somewhere far from land. Stuck or moving. And the smell of pot roast --yes, home. Sundays. Walking in the door after church to that scent. Made our tummies rumble all the more as we realized how hungry we were.

Trace4J said...

Truly thankful for His new mercies every morning.
We are blessed.
Loved the photos and post friend.
Hugs

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

In love with the baby robins :) Sweet shot there!

And craving raspberries now...

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, you don't eat ice cream? Not even non-dairy? I developed a vegan chocolate ice cream recipe, if that would help you. Not that you *need* to eat ice cream (I'd probably be better off without it!).

Number 3 made me smile. My mother would have never left the house with the oven on. And to this day I cannot either!

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Jeepers, Judy, I don't know where to start to comment on the post! But, I will just say, that is some fish he fought! And the baby robin's coloring remind me of Josephine, sans white.

As far as ocean voyages go, I would be so sea sick.

My autobiography would be called
What?!?

Praise God for Blogging Friends! m & jb (And Blogging Cats. Naturally.)

Lady Linda said...

What a beautiful post. SO much to read and take in. It's nice to think about some of your thoughts. Enjoyable!
I'm not a big fish fan, but the fish look yummy. Very cute photo.
Enjoy your summer.
Linda

Vee said...

Two page autobiography? Can you do it? I'd love to read it as long as it doesn't begin "I was born at a very early age." Since there's pot roast in the crockpot right now, I do think it smells like home...yummy, can't wait. Wonderful response to the first question.

Empty Nester said...

I have never seen baby robins before. And I didn't even know that until I saw them here. I always learn when I visit your blog. :) Politics. Sometimes I think we do get a person who starts out like you mention, but then that power and ego take over and it's ruined. I don't know. It's just awful. My mom did the same thing on Sunday mornings! I totally cracked up at your #6!

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Oh my that fish looks good! I don't think I have ever eaten fish that I've caught. Time to add that to the bucket list!

Unknown said...

Love the pictures of your robin & Thanks for sharing wonderful information, it is really nice information.
apartment-by-designs

Anita Johnson said...

Fun reading! Love the ice cream on pie...and I agree, I saw Titanic too!

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,

Lovely post and beautiful pictures, love the one with the 'fisherman', he looks pretty proud there. The fish looks very tasty and also the pie.

Debbie said...

WoW....what a great post, packed with so many fun things!!

loved those robin babies and mama taking care of them.....

pretty raspberries, i'll bet they are delicious!!

Judy S. said...

Great photos, Judy! I loved them all.

Unknown said...

Hi Judy, I do love those little birdies! Such precious little things aren't they.
Hugs, Lynnie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails