Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Hodgepodging Beauty and Hope


What would you use as a point of reference
to straighten this photo??


Join Joyce and the Gang
for


 She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!

1. 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'  What's something you've seen recently that you thought was beautiful?

This little cowgirl,
whose third birthday is today!


2. Our culture and beauty...your thoughts?

I think that a feeling of hopelessness is evident in movies, games, etc. So much is full of ugliness and violence. And as long as people keep paying to see violence and ugliness, we'll get more of it. We need to teach the younger generation about respect, love, and hope.

"For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope."  There IS joy, love, acceptance, forgiveness, and HOPE, despite what is being portrayed on the big screen. But it's not found deep within our selves. If we're honest, when we dig deep enough, we find fear, emptiness and selfishness. Rather, hope is found in Jesus of Nazareth, the son of God, who gave himself for us.


"But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—  and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.  For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—  not the result of works, so that no one may boast."- Ephesians 2:4-9

 A beautiful Wisconsin sunset




3. Age before beauty, beauty queen, beauty mark, beauty sleep...which beauty-ful phrase resonates with you today? Why?

It must be 'beauty sleep.' And every time I look in the mirror, I determine that I am definitely not getting enough of it. 

 I found this collage under 'beauty' in my photo archives.
'For The Beauty of The Earth'

4. I read here a list of the top ten
beasts animals that scare us the most-

alligators, coyotes, black bears, birds (but pigeons in particular), sharks, bats, bed bugs, rats, rattlesnakes, and the black widow spider. 

Which 'beast' on the list scares you the most? What is the liklihood of you having an actual encounter with that particular beast? Did a movie contribute to your fear of this creature? Have you ever had a real life encounter with any of the animals listed?

 In reality, this was a teeny snake in our backyard.

Yes! I've hunted and eaten an alligator, hear coyotes every summer night from our porch, got a photo of a black bear resting in the maple tree in our front yard, and ate a boa burger (not a rattlesnake). On another farm, we had bats in the attic that occasionally got into the house. I HATE bats in the house, although I don't have a problem with them if they're simply flying around outdoors at night, minding their own business, catching bugs. I hate rats more than anything and hope I never have an encounter with one. I'd say that rats probably scare me the most - even the thought of them!  If a rat scene is in a movie, I turn away until the music changes and I know it's over.

And with that in mind, isn't it lovely that Mr. is always hiding fake rats for me to find!! I threaten to throw them away, but he seems quite fond of them.

This one isn't hidden, but Mr. C. put it there to entertain
the postman when he drops off the mail.


Black bear resting in our maple tree


5. Where were you when you last heard a bell ring? Was it alarming or musical?

On a very calm evening, from our house, we can hear the church bells from the nearby village. 




6. What's your favorite carb? How's that for random?

Chicken pasta casserole, pictured above, is my all-time favorite carb. It is the ultimate comfort food. If I want to put on pounds, I know just the thing to eat, and this is it. I'll have to admit, though, that quantity has something to do with it. Gluten-free pasta, chicken, yogurt, sauteed onion and peppers, garlic, cheddar cheese, olives, potato chips crushed on top before baking. I happen to have some in the freezer, but am trying to stick to meat and salad for a while. I make no guarantees about Friday night, however. It seems to be the one day of the week when I get that overwhelming carb craving. And really. What's the worst that can happen? No, I don't want to think about it.


7. Let's wrap up another month of Hodgepodging and life with an acrostic. Recap your month using the word MARCH.

Miserable weather. It's almost
Always windy and cold. At least we got a
Reprieve the past few days, enough so that I
Could get a good walk in, from
Home to the stop sign and back, a nice 2 1/2 mile walk.

Not this stop sign.
I'm hoping to get down to the Westby area in another couple weeks.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

 These little characters
are now 6 months old.
Tommy & Smokey
***


Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 
Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
All-natural Handcrafted, vegan soap
with Essential Oils
No harsh chemicals
Always mild and gentle


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

40 comments:

Theresa said...

Happy Birthday to your little cowgirl! Love your answer to #2. Your chicken pasta sounds delicious. You sure are close to nature, that is some picture of the black bear sleeping in your tree. Last year I was sitting on our deck on my laptop and a cute little bird landed on my leg. I flipped! I don't do well with animals in the wild ;)

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Good morning, Judy. That little cowgirl is positively precious. Love the pic of the church in the village. That black bear is pretty scary. Hope you have a great week.

Arlene G said...

I love any cow girls so that picture is perfect!! Fake Rats would make me have a heart attack...snakes would be number one in my fear factor. We still haven's seen any bears at our place in NoGa. I would kind of like to see one, far off that is.

Vee said...

Oh yes! The most lovely cowgirl ever...happy birthday to her🎈

Goodness, you certainly have had your fair share of animal encounters. I didn't even think about rat encounters, having never endured one myself, but I have heard stories that make me shudder just thinking of them now.

Here's to better, brighter, warmer days in April. We need some ☀️!

MadSnapper said...

I always loving your closing photo of the kittens. and the beautiful baby at the beginning. bedbugs and spiders are my fear, because they come inside all the others are outside and I can stay away. what is it with men????? bob has a fake giant lizard and a fake snake, none of which I cam afraid of but he hides them in unexpected places to startle me... I think I have a post of the snake. both are very real like this rat. boys like to put ice downour neck and my 80 year old boy doesn't do that but he loves to walk up and put icy hands on me...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How amazing to get the photo of the black bear! WOW! And I think I've gotten enough beauty sleep for all of this year. It hasn't helped! lol Enjoy your day! Hugs!

Dicky Bird said...

I enjoyed these! Especially your answer to #2 - good job!

A Joyful Chaos said...

We have black bears, but thankfully none of them ever decided to camp out in our trees. Great picture though!

Annesphamily said...

Wow! Such lovely photos. You are a wonderful photographer. I am happy I was able to stop by. So many sweet shares and Tommy and SMokey are posing for the camera. I love it! Have a great day! HUGS!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I enjoyed your answers and all the photos. The little cowgirl is a beauty, Happy Birthday to her! You do see some neat wild critters there, I like the bear shot. Your recap of March was great. I love the peaceful sound of the church bells too. Enjoy your day!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Happy bday to your sweet Cowgirl - such a Cutie!

I'm with you & no rats! Living almost partly in the country we deal with lots of critters & even had a mouse problem for a while years ago. I didn't mind mice but the trap caught a rat once. Yuck!!

Love my pasta carbs too. Total downfall. Lol And love what you did with MARCH. ;)

Blessings to you Lovie! Xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, she is a beautiful little cowgirl! Happy birthday to her. I enjoyed your hodgepodge. Wow, that bear in your tree!! It's always great to hear church bells. They seem to be scarce around here. Hope the rest of March goes well for you and that sunshine will return for you and for us, too!

Chatty Crone said...

Happy Birthday to your little cowgirl! So tell me this - what would you use to straighten that pictures perspective? I love your answers. Beauty is a hard thing - I l recognized beauty when it comes from beautiful people on the inside - however I think the world looks at outer beauty! I think you are beautiful! sandie♥

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

First, to answer your question; I would use the line of the open door as a point of reference. Symmetry in pictures like this drive me crazy. Your little birthday Cowgirl is adorable. Gotta love a Cowgirl in pink! I also appreciate your answer to #2, thank you. Would love to know how close you had to get to the bear to get this great picture. And, I see we share our disdain for rats/mice.

Pamela Gordon said...

I don't like mice. They are small and can get in the tiniest hole but, thankfully we haven't seen one in the house this winter. Bats scare me and they were on the decline here due to 'white nose syndrome' which was killing them off almost to extinction, but, I hear they are making a comeback. They are fine outside, as you said, as they eat lots of bugs and mosquitos. I'm thankful we don't have big dangerous snakes, or alligators in our neck of the woods! haha. Love the pic of the kittens at the end. Have a wonderful day!

NanaDiana said...

Oh---Such a cutie! Don't you just love that age? Our Anna Ireland is 3 now, too. I have some pics of her on my blog today (bragger that I am)....lol I can't take any credit for her but I sure do enjoy her.

I hate rats, too, but-having stepped on a snake barefoot once-that is probably my most 'dislike'. I also hate cockroaches (which we saw down South) but didn't see them listed. lol

As for your first picture- I would use the track above the door as my 'leveling line'...lol

Have a wonderful day, Judy. We have snow coming tomorrow they say. xo Diana

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Wow, Lucy is already 3! How did that happen? She is so cute.

Your photos are amazing, as always.

And that Mr. C ... always playing tricks.
Love, Carla

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Beauty Sleep seems to be the winner today! Enjoyed reading all of you answers today and I hope you enjoy the rest of your week. Also I hope your weather improves.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I think I would agree with you, rats are the scariest. We had a childhood friend who had pet rats (in a cage). I don't recall if I was brave enough to hold one. They are very ugly! Possums can be pretty scary too. Kerri and I met one in our backyard a couple of years ago. Thankfully, we both survived, though I was a bit traumatized!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I love the rat on the mailbox post! Ha! I love a person with a sense of humor :)
The picture of the bear resting in the tree is awesome, too, as well as your two kitties. They are simply precious...said one cat lover to another :)
Kathy (Reflections)

Joyce said...

That photo of the bear in the tree is fantastic! I love watching the black bear from a distance. Amazing creatures!

Empty Nester said...

What a cutie! Three years old! Goodness, she's growing so fast. Slow her down and then tell me how to do it. :) Rats are disgusting but it's snakes that I HATE. Yes, HATE. If anyone put a fake snake for me to find...I wouldn't do anything because I'd be dead from the heart attack. LOL As for straightening the photo? You're asking the wrong person. I just move the little button until the thing looks right to me. Haha! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Mary said...

Such lovely pictures! Oh, and the barn in the first picture looks straight to me!

Debby Ray said...

What a great way to end your fun Hodgepodge...oh those cute kitties! Great answers, everyone and a really great acrostic!

Anita Johnson said...

I had a comment for almost everything you posted....
I think my mind went blank at the bear....or maybe the rat....oh boy. I love your outlook

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet little cowgirl. Love the pig on her shoulder! Great photo of the bear in the tree..Looks like he doesn't have a care in the world. Your Mr has a wicked sense of humor. Hopefully your mail is still delivered. Have a nice evening. ♥

Terri D said...

Yes, happy birthday to your sweet cowgirl!! I enjoyed reading your HP today!! I always love the photos you include!

Cathy said...

Your little cowgirl is adorable. Wow! A black bear in your yard. That would have scared me to death. So would the snake. As always, I really like the picture of your cats. Theatre are so cute.

Cheryl said...

Your little cowgirl certainly is a beauty! Happy birthday to her!

Wow! The photo of the bear is amazing. And Mr. C is a bit ornery with his rats. :D

Lynne said...

"The Two" look alikes . . . they seem so very loyal to one another!
Twin looks in different colors.

Is it just me, three is looking quite grown up . . .

I can't even go there oh what would be on my most fear list . . .
Too late at night!

I always have so many thoughts when reading Hodgepodge but forget everything when I start writing.
Oh . . . first pic . . .top edge of the road I think would be the balance point . . . just a guess . . .

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Aw! Happy Birthday to your little cowgirl - so sweet! I agree with you about the violence in the media these days. I can't watch any movie or television show that I know has violence in it. My Hubby feels the same way, which I love about him. I've always thought that violence in the media and culture contributes to so many awful acts and contributes to mental instability in some. That's too funny about your Hubby and the rats. I'm with you on the bats. Every once in a while one will come in if we leave our sliding door open on summer evenings. It's hilarious how fast we can hit the floor when one is flying around! xx Karen

Tanna said...

Hmmmm.... I think I would try the power pole. There's a lot going on in that photo. ;)

SWEET Birthday Cowgirl!! So precious!

You are so very right. So very right. Well said.

Lots of beauty and I LOVE the look of that pasta. Mr. C is a rat prankster, huh? ;) Have a wonderful day, Judy. blessings ~ tanna

Mrs.T said...

Hmmm .. I think I would use the bottom of the round hay bale as a reference point to straighten the photo.

Your little cowgirl is so sweet. A happy, happy birthday to her!

I so agree with your thoughts on #2. Well said!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, do Tommy and Smokey always hang out together? They are just adorable! I'm really missing Tuppence (having "known" her for 6 or 7 years!). I love how you have them all in your sidebar. Happy Spring!

Ida said...

Wonderful Hodgepodge. - I don't mind Rats as Coleen had pet rats for awhile. Mr. C has a fun sense of humor. I think a Cougar would scare me the most if I happened upon one. That little Cowgirl was adorable and so are Smokey and Tommy. -

vivian said...

That was fun! I LOVE the rat on the mailbox! so whimsical! And the bear in your tree?? omg! there has been an occasional bear seen around here. but I dont ever want to meet one. lol!
have a wonderful weekend!
xoxo

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

OH the rat on the mailbox! Lol!!!!

These hodgepodge posts are always a blast, and the little one in the first photo is so sweet, but then the rat...you two are too funny :)

Lady Fi said...

Lovely sunset and cute cowgirl.

Kathy said...

Rats and bats don't bother me much. No alligators in our neck of the woods. Pigs and bears both look like they think I am a potential meal. I have eaten bear and love pork, but don't appreciate them looking as if they would like to try me for a meal. We have rattlers and mtn. lions and they concern me some. Kill enough snakes, and they aren't quite as scary as before experience with them. A lot of our rattlers are pretty aggressive. Mice is why we have cats, right? Black widows don't scare if I know they are there. I squish them. But any spider on my skin is murdered instantly. I don't care what kind of spider, they aren't allowed on my body.

Deborah Montgomery said...

You hunted and ate an alligator? Wow, I'm impressed! I think that out of that list bed bugs scare me the most. Never had any experience with them thankfully, but what a nightmare! Rats can't be too fun either.
Your little kitties are so sweet. At least they'll never be on that list!!
xo Deborah

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails