Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Hodgepodging the Dog Days of Summer

 Neighbor's barn on Highway O

Join Joyce and the Gang
for



She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!

Thank you again, Joyce.


 Looking NE from the front porch
Soybean field
August 12, morning

1. Do your actions match your words? Elaborate.

Well I can't tell you how often I think of that very question throughout my day. As God's image bearers to the world, His spirit within us, followers of Jesus are to be His instruments of healing and justice, protecting the innocent and caring for the poor, bringing hope to a world in despair. But how does that work out practically? For one, I think it means that we don't try to oppose hate with more hate or oppose violence with more violence, but to oppose it with the only thing that ever makes a real and lasting difference - God's love. Displaying, reflecting the love of God into the world. How different would my life be if I were to be obedient, day by day, to the commission to reflect God's image to the world. 

'Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death—even death on a cross.' - Philippians 2:5-8


 Mr. C. could not understand why I'd want
to have a photo of the full moon sitting on top of the transformer. 

2. Sick as a dog, go to the dogs, dog days of summer, dog tired, it's a dog's life, every dog has it's day, can't teach an old dog new tricks...now doggone it which saying could most recently be applied to your life?

I guess my answer to that would be dog days of summer. I hate to think about it, but there are surely signs of fall in the air as August moves on. Even the air smells different. The staghorn sumac, the cattails, the apples on the trees along 5th Avenue, all point to summer winding down. I'm hanging onto it as long as possible, though, and we've still got a lot to pack into August and September.

Front porch in the evening.
Yeah, it kinda looks like an airport runway when all the lights are on.

3. Your favorite book featuring a dog in the storyline? What makes it a favorite?


Photo from Amazon.  After reading no fewer than 25 dog books before picking up my three-month old German Shepherd (R.I.P.) puppy in the spring of 2001, nevertheless, when it came to teaching that dog to come when I called him, it was an exercise in futility. He came when he felt like it. And when there was a choice between coming to me or chasing any moving animal, you know how I fared in that scenario. NOTHING worked. I followed all the training instructions in every book I found, still I was lucky if he came when called. Then I read this book, 'Smarter Than You Think' by Paul Loeb. It was like a miracle. It totally worked and worked fast. I'll let you read for yourself, but let me say that it was not a matter of force, but learning this neat little trick. And it gave me a dog who always came when I called him. I can't say enough about this book. And Paul Loeb's dog is in the storyline.

Morning. Looking south from the front porch, August.

4. What's something you hope to one day have the confidence to do?

I can't think of anything. I should probably say, 'Drive in the Big City,' but I have absolutely no desire to even have the confidence to do that.

Monday, looking SE from the front porch.

5. August 16th is National Tell a Joke Day. So tell us a joke.

Okay, my all-time favorite joke, and let me preface it by saying that this is deer hunting country up here, so...

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says, "Calm down. I can help. But first, you're sure he's dead." There is a silence; then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says, "Yup, now what?"

My other favorite joke is: (These are my two favorites, so you're getting them both.)
The newly-married couple is sitting at the kitchen table, the wife, with no cooking experience behind her, waiting to see how her husband will react to the meal she had made. Unfortunately, the food was so bad that the guy simply couldn't choke it down, so he gave it to the dog. Later, the wife saw the dog licking its butt. 'What is she doing??' the wife asked.
'She's trying to get the taste out of her mouth,' the husband said, under his breath.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

 Three year old grand.
Do you see future CEO here??


***


Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE 
 
Midnight Jasmine
Natural Vegan Soap
No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Only natural colorants
Leaves skin feeling soft and silky



...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Have a great Wednesday, everyone! 


Judy

See? We still fit in here!


(these photos did not translate well from my phone)


31 comments:

Lynne said...

The twin kitty cats bring a smile each time I see them . . .
They are forever friends, I am sure . . .

I enjoy hoegepodge . . . and usually glean a bit of wisdom and smile . . .
Jokes . . . small smile . . .
Book . . . I have to read it now for sure. You have my interest!
Hate . . . I'd say, listen up "peeps" . . . we CITIZENS of this fine land have a responsibility to turn things around.
Regard, compassion, justice, civility, love, justice for all . . . need to live . . .
Like I said . . . LISTEN UP!

Mrs.T said...

All of your photos and answers are great, Judy, and I especially liked your answer to #1. Very good and very thought provoking.

And yes, I definitely see a future CEO in your random!��

eileeninmd said...

Hello Judy, I do enjoy your hodgepodge answers. Love all the images, the beautiful red barn, your front porch looks lovely lit up at night. The view from the porch is gorgeous. Love the moon photos and the cute young CEO! Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

NanaDiana said...

Those are really cute jokes-and ones I could retell without blushing. lol I am so not ready for fall yet- I am hanging on to summer for all it is worth.
Your little grandgirl is adorable. CEO/President...she's got it going on! xo Diana

ps. Did you ever read the novel, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by Wroblewski? It is set in WI and an excellent read- or at least I thought so-about dogs with super intellect. I found it fascinating.

MadSnapper said...

I had a hard time reading your answers because every single photo today is eye catching.. I love the TREE in the corner of the view mid page and the photo of your porch has me so jealous I can't type. the barn pic at the top the colors are amazing red barn and blue and white sky. and then the little CEO is just adorable.
my pic is dog days of summer because I am so sick of summer I can't stand myself. we have been waking in the 80's and goin to high 90's since June and I feel like I can bare another day. we woke up this morning to 82 degrees at 4 am and there is no relief in sight. I love Florida and in the past 3 months of the year I hid in AC now we have had half the year... ok rant is over. wish I could come enjoy your porch and cool air. he he he on getting the taste out of the dogs mouth. I made garbanzo bean pasta and we gagged down one meal and I tossed it in the garbage, did not even give it to the dog...

Creations By Cindy said...

Judy, I enjoyed your answers but your pictures are sooooo good! Love them all. That little grandgirl is a doll baby. Have a good day my friend. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Empty Nester said...

I read those jokes to Mother and she was LOLing. Do you think that book will work with Tucker since he's 9? He will come every single time IF he chooses to do so. :) I'd love to have him come every time I call him. Nothing here, not one single thing, is hinting towards the arrival of fall. There are 3 disturbances in the Atlantic however which does point towards hurricane season heating up. September is the busiest month for these horrid things. I love the look of your porch. It's like a beacon in the dark night that I remember the country having. I'm a city girl so there was always some sort of light but when I visited my country cousins night was dark and scary. I have no desire to have the confidence to drive in the big city either. I'll just stay right here. :) Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Robin said...

You have beautiful views from your porch, I would love to have views like that. Fantastic pictures!!!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I enjoyed both of your jokes :) Wow, I love how your porch goes all around and is lit up!
Last but not least, I love that photo of your little CEO, too :)

Kathy (Reflections)

Trudy said...

Your kitties pose just like my two do. Best friends.
Your answer to #1 was perfect. We can not fight hate with more hate. Like the song says...All we need is love. Maybe that's not all, but it sure would help.
I love all of your photos. I especially like the watermark. I am still trying to figure out how to put one on my photos.

Carla from The River said...

Judy,
Did Mr. C tell you those jokes?
I love the photo of your home in the evening.
I think Miss Lucy should be CEO for my flower business.
xx oo
Carla

Cranberry Morning said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

Your second joke made me laugh out loud. lol

Love all your pictures as always and your granddaughter is adorable. I added that book to my wishlist on Amazon. I think I need it for our Lucy.

Debby Ray said...

Oh how adorable...what a little poser she is...you may be exactly right about her future! So I should have started at the beginning with that stunning red barn against that glorious sky...wow! Well, actually all the photos were fabulous...hard to choose a favorite. Your #1 answer was so perfect. I wonder if the little trick in your book would work for a coupe of weenies? Great Hodgepodge, Judy!

Moggie said...

I love the picture of your porch at sunset, not at all like an airport runway :) The color of the sky is spectacular - you captured the Blue Hour. Love your blog....

Nonnie said...

Your photos are the absolute best! My goodness, what a welcome sight that home looks like. Your thoughts on number one are the truth and all of us as believers should be letting Christ shine through us in that way each day. Your granddaughter looks sassy. Sweet, but sassy. The jokes were funny. My husband got a good laugh out of those.

Chatty Crone said...

I knew when I saw that red barn that it was your blog! Your photos are terrific. I try to have my actions match but sometimes I fail. And here we are having the dog days of summer which I think means hot! 101 Dalmatians? And i love the little pose your granddaughter has at the end! SO CUTE!

Terri D said...

Your little 3-year old executive is adorable!! That red barn must have about 50,000 square feet of space! It looks HUGE! Your porch looks inviting with the lights on...NOT like a runway.

Joyce said...

Your photos are lovely as always! I love a porch so to me that says pull up a chair and sit a while : )

Tanna said...

Yes, I see a future CEO, or whatever she decides she wants to be! So cute! That barn and your views and porch are AMAZING! So beautiful. So beautiful! Oh, Judy, if we could ALL let our actions reflect the Lord's... how different our world would be. I can only change my one little part... and I struggle. blessings ~ tanna
ps loved the chuckles, too! ;)

ellen b. said...

You have such lovely views at your place, Judy. I really love your answer to question #1. I could talk for a few paragraphs with you on that one. I'm sorry to have given you the wrong impression on my blog about where I live. I've clarified things on my blog post since I read your comment. Hope the rest of your week and weekend are splendid! Thank you for your visit to my Hodgepodge!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Beauty surely surrounds your home, Judy. Your photos are amazing! I really love the one of your front porch lit for the evening. So peaceful and lovely. I imagine the cutie on the curb will be whatever she wants. She has quite a confident gaze. Have a lovely week. ♥

podso said...

Fantastic photos today--especially the amazing red barn! And your kitties of course. Such buddies. Wow my husband missed that it was national tell a joke day--but he just got two more for his repertoire. Thanks.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Love the photo of the kitties! They are the same colors and sizes as a sister brother pair we had. Sister got sick and didn't make it. Brother is still around. He's as big as our Doxie mix dog!

I've not been by for awhile. I saw your name while looking at one of my old blog posts.
Be blessed!

Please drop by and say hello!
ஐღLaura ღஐ
Harvest Lane Cottage
...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
on a short shoestring budget!
~~~~~

Wendy said...

Lovely photos in your post Judy. You live in a beautiful place. I've always driven in the city so that holds no fears for me. I'm more nervous on country lanes especially when they are narrow and you can't always see what's coming!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I'm intrigued by that book. Don't have a dog, never had a dog, never want to have a dog. BUT I want to know the trick you found so effective with your sweet dog.

Mama Squirrel said...

Great moon photo!

Cindy said...

I could sit on your front porch and look at those views forever! Just gorgeous!

Cheryl said...

I am intrigued by the trick of having a dog come to you consistently. (I am not likely to put that trick to use any more. We had a black Lab for 15 years. He was our son's dog/faithful friend, but then Ryan up and got married so he was our dog. We adored him. But now we live in town and my husband is more a cat person, so probably no more dogs for us. I am still intrigued by the trick because Buster never learned it.)

Your neck of the woods is gorgeous! Enjoy these remaining dog days! (Isn't it a shame we can't store some of that heat for the months to come?)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The answer to Mr C is "Because it's an awesome shot!" I love your porch. Wow and another wow on that cloud. That is one sick joke!!! Yes definitely a future CEO.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I was leaving you a message and then I closed it by mistake. Okay tell Mr C that you took the photo because it is an awesome shot! Love your front porch. The cloud formation is amazing. Yes your granddaughter looks like a future CEO.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails