Friday, September 15, 2017

Apple Crisp Recipe

 
 Apple Crisp
McIntosh Apples from our faithful old tree

One of our sons and his family stopped in the other day and before he left, he said, 'Say Mom, could you give me your recipe for apple crisp?' So I grabbed my trusty 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook, snapped a photo of the recipe, and sent it to his Instagram account. What did we do before Smartphones??


And it even has my own handwriting. Awwwwww.
Should tug at his heart strings in years to come, 
if he doesn't lose the .jpg file.

And I forgot to tell him that I used a gluten-free flour mix,
but he wouldn't have used that anyway.

By the way, I made an 8x8 this time because
I have no willpower against fresh apple crisp
made with our McIntosh apples. None whatsoever.

 Sweet old McIntosh in better years.
It desperately needs a good pruning.


This is the second copy of this edition that I've owned.
My other one was falling apart, except for the pages that were stuck
together due to some of the recipe ending up on them,
so my daughter and SIL found me another one.
Of course I transferred all my notes before somewhat reluctantly pitching the old one.


 ***

As promised, my 2017 Christmas Soaps are ready and in my shops today. I know there are those who like to get a head start on their Christmas shopping, and because both of my shops will both be closed from September 23 - October 9, I wanted to post them early.  I will process all orders that come in on or before September 23 (and after October 9 of course).


Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE 

Soap bars are appx. 3x3x1
and 4.5-5 oz.


Peppermint Tea
All Natural Vegan Soap
All natural base oils including extra virgin olive oil -  and essential oils.
With peppermint from my garden.
Right now I have a batch of peppermint in the dehydrator.
It smells wonderful!
And maybe a little lingering apple crisp.


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning









Judy

23 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...

I'm pretty sure that cookbook is in the collection that came from my Grandmother. Apple crisp...yummy. What a blessing to have your own tree.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Oh Lawd... what I would do for a piece of that yummy apple crisp this morning with my coffee.
Enjoy your weekend, dear Judy.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the apple crisp sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. The phones are great for taking photos of various things. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

L. D. said...

I have a couple of those old cookbooks Your crisp inspires me to peel some apples fast. Yummmmm.

podso said...

There's my old favorite cookbook. Our dog ate half of my original one and I found another copy at an antique shop (that tells you something of the vintage--LOL). Tried and true recipes. Apple crisp was something I made a lot in the early years of our marriage. I'm not sure what happened --maybe I learned how to make a pie, hubby's favorite. But seeing this and sensing fall in the air makes me think I'll make it this fall. So. so good!

Lorrie said...

I have the same wonderful cookbook! It's falling apart, too, and some pages are glued together. I have some black book binding tape holding it together.
I made up a big batch of the crumble topping this week and froze it for easy crisp making in the winter. And I made three crisps, partially baked them and froze them for an easy dessert. Love apple crisp!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I our Betty Crocker cookbooks! (I have several versions) You can't beat them for good basic tried-and-true recipes. I made a peach crumble this summer, so good! (The difference between a crisp and a crumble is the absence of oats.)

Carla from The River said...

Give a shout out when you make that delicious crisp again. :-) Zoom, Zoom, I will be over!

Susie said...

Judy, So yummy. I have always love apple crisp...and this is the time of year for it. I will give this recipe to my granddaughters. :):) Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Michelle said...

That Apple Crisp looks so good and thanks for posting the recipe. My mom has that cookbook!!

Terri D said...

Love your soaps! That recipe sounds delicious! Those old Betty Crocker cookbooks are the best!

Aritha said...

Love to see that cook book! Never seen and I think it is a supper good recipe!

Lynne said...

Apple Crisp sounds wonderful about now . . .
Especially since I have it "in my plan" to stay away from sugar and white flour.

My "go to" cook book has been the red and white checked Better Homes & Gardens!

Nice complement from your son . . . loved it!

NanaDiana said...

Oh-we are truly kindred souls--I know it now that I have seen that cookbook! Mine is in the same shape- pages with drips and spots and notes. I love apple crisp, too, and won't make it because I know I would eat the whole pan by myself...same with rhubarb crisp.

Hope you have a blessed weekend- xo Diana

ellen b. said...

Yum! Looks delicious. Love the notes written in the book, too.

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

I have the same cookbook. I'm sure I received it as a wedding or shower gift..... and we just celebrated 45 years! I do still use it and that IS the apple crisp recipe I use every year. I also use McIntosh apples. They are our favorites. I think a trip to the orchard and some apple crisp needs to be on the To-Do list this coming week!!

This N That said...

Looks yummy..Thanks for sharing....

Linda Kay said...

I do so love those apple recipes and the cinnamon that is usually an ingredient!

Cheryl said...

Mmmmm. That looks delicious and so autumnal! Apples and September are a great pair!

Deborah Montgomery said...

I love apple crisp. It is such a comforting fall dessert, very home-y. And I do the same thing, write notes in my recipe books. I also halve the sugar in many of the old recipes and find they are just fine that way.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Good old Betty Crocker! I have my Mom's 1953 version. It taught me all the basics. Apple crisp sounds so good right now, especially with Macintosh apples. I love that your son wanted the recipe :) x Karen

UplayOnline said...

I think a trip to the orchard and some apple crisp needs to be on the To-Do list this coming week!!


การ์ตูนโป๊

Judy S. said...

I've got that same rather beat up cookbook! Lucky you to have such a ready source of apples. I think a trip to the store is necessary.........but apple crisp sure does sound good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails