Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hodgepodging Festivals for Extroverts

Still wondering what this building might have been
in times past. Bar? Restaurant? Hotel?
On Highway N in central Wisconsin


Join Joyce and the Gang
for




She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!


1. What's something you'd rate a 10/10? Tell us why.

The shy little grands
They're a delight.


2. What job would you be terrible at? What makes you think so?

Being the executioner at an animal shelter. No explanation necessary, I would think.

Another view of that old building on N
Glad I could get these photos before it totally collapses.
Now I'd really like to find its history.

3. When did you last take a fall? What's something you're falling for (in a good way) these days?

A couple winters ago, falling on the icy driveway, another reason I hate winter. What I AM falling for are the bright, crisp autumn days (which I hope come soon, instead of more rain).


The two brothers (above) are staying with us this week while their mom and dad are in England to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. The corn is much taller than the seven or ten year old! This was on an adventure. We walked to the spring and then home by way of the cornfield.

Barn on 12th Avenue

4. According to the Travel Channel here are some of America's best fall festivals-

National Apple Harvest Festival (near Arendtsville PA, close to Gettysburg), Harvest on the Harbor (Portland Maine), German Village Festival (Columbus Ohio), Wellfleet Oyster Fest (Cape Cod), and Wine and Chile Fiesta (Santa Fe NM)

Have you ever been to any of the festivals listed? Which one appeals to you most? Does your hometown have any sort of fall celebration, and if so will you make it a point to attend?

Festivals don't appeal to me. I'd be more likely to visit any of these places the week AFTER the festival.

 A pretty Wisconsin farm on Highway N

5. What is your goodbye message to summer?

Why are your visits only three minutes long???

Bull snake on my water hyacinth

6. Insert your own random thought here.

The boys' parents visited Hadrian's wall yesterday.
I took this to send to them via Instagram
The boys on Hadrian's Wall aka a rock pile near the spring
Hi Mom and Dad!


***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE 

My HomemadeSoapnSuch shops will be closed
September 23 - October 10,
which is why my 2017 Christmas soaps
are already in both shops.
Check them out!

Mandarin Spice
Natural Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


 Just Tommy this time.
Smokey probably decided she didn't want to be squished 
by her monster brother.
 

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

28 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I think that barn would make a good pub; but then, I would... Hope the folks are enjoying Hadrian's Wall; was quite big, once upon a time...

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Old buildings are so much more interesting to look at than brand new ones. Especially when you are the photographer, dear Judy. The grandkids are darling!

podso said...

That is a beautiful old building. If its walls could only talk! I hope you discover its story. Enjoyed your hodgepodge.

MadSnapper said...

you have 4 10's in the fist pic and 2 10's in the corn patch. so cute. I love that building and it has clean curtains so wonder if it is occupied. if you get the address you can go to your county property appraiser on line and find out history on it. I love it. I have never been to a festival, by choice because I don't like crowds of people or the traffic.

Sue said...

A beautiful old building, I am always so sad when they deteriorate so. Your grands are so adorable,. Enjoyed your photos and thoughts, have a blessed day.r
Sue

21 Wits said...

Festivals, did I hear festival? I love them. That old building is quite something, and my first guess was it could have been all of those, maybe not at the same time but I'm betting it harbored them all at sometime! I sure enjoyed your photos and faces!

Debbie said...

Enjoyed ALL of this! Your photos and your answers. Don't know how I failed to list my grandkids as tens, because is that ever true! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Arlene G said...

Grands are the best!! I try to avoid festivals as well. I would rather attend on a day when most of the population is still at work.:)

Empty Nester said...

There's that darn snake again. LOL Having those grands for the week has got to be such fun! THey are so cute! If we had any good festivals, I would go but our Farmer's Market downtown is way more fun than our silly festival. Enjoy those grands!

ellen b. said...

Enjoyed your hodgepodge and I say yes, and amen to your answer to the festival question! That's my kind of anniversary trip for sure! Good for your kids for celebrating a hallmark wedding anniversary!

Trudy said...

I like seeing the kids with their wellies on. Just like there parents sometimes while in England. I have always wanted to go into the corn just to see and feel it. I am glad the kids had a good time. Could you get something that resembles and address and go to the county tax records to find that buildings history? Please keep us posted.

Debby Ray said...

Yeah...those grands of yours look really shy...lol! They look about as full of it as couple of mine and I'm sure you show them a very good time when they stay with you. I love that old building and have a couple similar to that around here. I do love to dig into the history as well...many of them have such great stories behind them. I agree with answer #2...how in the world??? Enjoy the rest of your week!

Vee said...

Oh no! There's no more room for Smokey! When you find out what the building was, you will let us know, right? Mom and Pop store with a gas pump, I'm thinking....maybe.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Have you tried tracking down the building in old phone books or business directories? Our library has copies of every years issue back to 1898. I love looking through them!

Chatty Crone said...

That first place could have been a house but the second place looked like a store front. I agree grands are a 10/10. That snake scared me!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

Oh, I know what you mean about being "the executioner" at animal shelters. Horrible job!!!
Brave you, to hang around and photograph the snake on your plant. Not me!
Enjoy those "grands" (and I'm sure you will),
Kathy (Reflections)

Michelle said...

Your grands are so cute and they don't look too shy! lol

Terri D said...

I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge answers! It would be interesting to learn the history of that building! Keep us posted if you pursue it!! Your grands are all adorable!

Cheryl said...

For a split second, I cringed at the photo of Tommy sleeping solo. I was relieved to know that Smoky was simply sleeping elsewhere.

A cringed a bit longer at the bull snake. ~shudder~

Oh, those grandboys! I am sure you're enjoying a fun-filled (albeit busy) week!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Love the hodgepodge answers.. and of course that old building is a wonder its still standing! Sweet grandkids, hope your kids have a blessed time in England! Sweet picture of Tommy, don't you just love how cats curl their paws when they sleep, so precious! Hope you continue to have wonderful adventures with the grandkids :)

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

That sweet Tommy! Great answers, especially the one about preferring to visit festival locations the week *after* the festival - that is soooooo *me*! Do let me know what you find out about that old building.

L. D. said...

Great responses to your prompts. The building still has curtains everywhere which means they had proper people living in the upstairs. It is amazing that it still stands when the bottom walls are going down.

Cathy said...

Oh my! That snake would make me not want to be outside, especially in the cornfield. Love your pictures.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love all the cute photos of your grands. The corn shot is cute. I hope the snake is a friendly kind. Tommy is a sweetie. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Cindy said...

That old building on Highway N looks very intriguing! Your grand kids are adorable and you're so sweet to watch them while mom and dad are in England! Happy Fall!

Lynne said...

I agree, my grands, 10/10 . . .
#2 . . . I couldn't either
My next "could never be/do" . . . would be a fundraiser . . .
Tommy looks nourished . . .
Happy London 25th Anniversary Days for your kiddoes . . .
Happy grandparenting days while mom and pop enjoy.
Fall . . .slipped getting into a boat, years ago . . .OUCH
Falling for . . . a couple of dogs I recently have been introduced to.
Wish I could show pictures.
I/we won't take the leap though . . .
Let us have some of your rain, we will give you our 90+ weather . . .HOT!

Deborah Montgomery said...

Beautiful old building. Wisconsin must be absolutely loaded with them to judge from all your blog pictures. A photographer's dream.
Summer is getting to be a little long for me. 80s and 90s last week and next. Will love it when it gets a little cooler.

CraveCute said...

So cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails