Friday, February 16, 2018

St. Peter & St. Paul Church, Blockley - Anglophile Friday



Entrance to St. Peter & St. Paul Church
after you've walked through the graveyard.
A good reminder of the communion of saints.

'Blockley Church is a place for everybody to find support and to find the good news of Jesus Christ...St. Peter and St. Paul is at the heart of the delightful Cotswold village of Blockley. For more than a thousand years the church has been a landmark at the centre of the village. The church is open every day, and a prayer space is set aside to leave your own prayers.' - from the website of St. Peter & St. Paul Church, Blockley.


It's been a while since I've written a post about Blockley (have I ever?), so I thought I'd post several photos which will show you the exterior and interior of this beautiful little Cotswold church.





Psalm 139
To the Chief Musician, A Psalm of David
Verses 1-6

Lord, thou hast searched me and known me,
Thou has known my down sitting and my uprising:
Thou understandeth my thought afar off
Thou compasseth my path and my lying down
And art acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word in my tongue but Thou,
O Lord, knowest it altogether.
Thou has set me behind and before
And laid thine hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me.
It is too high. I cannot attain unto it.




And because I thought it might be interesting to you to learn what happens on a weekly basis at that ancient little church in Blockley, I also copied the following from their website:

First Sunday of the month
8.30am: Traditional language Holy Communion - a quiet and prayerful service with short sermon at the start of the day.
9.30am: Open Door - a service for all ages, where all are welcome to eat something, learn something, pray something and sing something.

Second Sunday
9.30am: Holy Communion - music includes both traditional hymns and more modern songs with Common Worship liturgy.
6.00pm: Sunday at Six is a service for those looking for something different. Candles, reflection , prayer and music, and a quiet space to meet with God.

Fourth and Fifth Sunday
9.30am: Holy Communion - music includes both traditional hymns and more modern songs with Common Worship liturgy.

Third Sunday
9.30am: All-Age Holy Communion - a service for young and old alike taken from the book of Common Worship.
6.00pm: Sung Evensong with choir, hymns, a short reflection and silence.


Refreshements including Fairtrade freshly brewed coffee are served after all 9.30am services.

(P.S. And yes, the services were listed in that order.)





 Memorials
Note the ancient stepladder. ;-)

Itty Bitty Narrow Steps to the platform where the memorials are


 Pipe organ and Font
Note that ceiling

The 'Father Brown' mystery series is filmed in the little village of Blockley,
and the church scenes are from St. Peter & St. Paul Church.


Yes, this was the opening photo.
It just happens to be one of my favorites,
taken from the west end of the church, looking SE

Of all the villages we visited in the Cotswolds, Blockley is the one I would most like to visit again.

Blockley, fall of 2017

I'm hoping to post a bit more of St. Peter & St. Paul on Sunday's blog post - just in case you didn't get enough. :-)  We'll see.

Thanks for reading, friends!

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 
Lemon Verbena
Natural Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
and at




Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

16 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What a beautiful church. I can imagine sitting there in the peace and quiet.

Angela said...

Look at all that green grass! I remember when things were green here, so long ago. :)

Marcia said...

So good to see that church again. We did a walking tour of the Cotswolds in 2014 and came through Blockley. Here's one post of all the churches we saw : http://birdsbloomsbooksetc.blogspot.com/search/label/Cotswolds

MadSnapper said...

I LOVE that first photo, so beautiful with the shadows and light. the perfect village to make a movie.. lovely

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Good Morning, Judy. I always like to start off my day with your breathtaking photos. Have a wonderful weekend.

Linda said...

Amazing. I am coming back to look at all these photos again. I can see myself sitting on a pew taking it all in!

L. D. said...

We watch Father Brown all of the time. We watch the reruns too. I recognized the interior right away. Thanks for sharing this. I peaks my interest to go there for a visit. It is nice to see the church is up and running and doing well. Thanks for s having all of your wonderful photos.

podso said...

What a wonderful old cemetery. I've learned a few things here today including I need to watch Father Brown. Will look on Sunday!

Terri D said...

I can imagine spending an entire day exploring the cemetery and the church, including some prayer time. Beautiful.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

So charming, Judy. Blockley is lovely as most of the villages in the Cotswold's. How nice to see more views of the church of St. Peter and St. Paul. Knowing it is still in Christian service makes it more wonderful. England never disappoints me! We enjoy Father Brown very much. It reminds me of Murder She Wrote. Have a nice weekend. ♥

ellen b. said...

That does it, I have to go back to the Cotswolds and visit Blockley! I'm hoping for a new season of Father Brown soon.

Maggie said...

Very charming, church! Thanks for the tour and particularly for the list of liturgies offered there

Buttercup said...

Love both of your Cotswolds posts. I did a quick visit there a few years ago, but a longer visit is high on my travel list.

Robin said...

Great pictures!!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
As always great photos. :-)

Barbara said...

Your blog posts with photos take me to places I will probably never get to see for myself. So beautiful, serene, and orderly. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails