Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bear in a tree? How can it be??

Hey, Mom, come outside. You'll never guess what we found in the maple tree!  

Actually, it was when I had the dogs outside in the morning, that they started barking like crazy. I ignored them, for I figured they were just scolding the neighbor for having the audacity to drive up his own driveway, across from ours.  (Bridger's like that.) I had been on my way to the garden, but Bridger and Misty started sounding pretty frantic, so I walked over to see what was going on. 

By now, their barks sounded more like an alert because of a snake or a skunk. I stood next to them, trying to see what all the fuss was about, but didn't notice anything unusual. Then Misty looked up into the maple tree next to us. So I glanced up.

 And there she was - an intruder, in Bridger's mind.
A friend of ours said it was probably a 3-year old, 
and most likely a sow.


Once I got the dogs indoors, (they obey the IN command pretty well), I went back out with my camera to see if I could get some photos to share with you. Of course!  The gorgeous, snuggly-looking black bear settled in on a branch with her legs hanging down, looking like she was trying to get comfortable enough to take a nap. She was so cute, I just wanted to pet that dense fur and give her a hug - like I do my dogs. No, they don't like hugs much either. And of course I wouldn't really do that to a black bear, for I don't want to get ripped to shreds!
 

Figuring out the best way to climb down

Eventually, our cute little friend did climb down, ran across the yard, down the driveway, and took off up the road. The last I saw her, she was trotting up Neighbor Bill's driveway. Maybe she'll take a nap in that old barn. I wonder if we'll see her again. 

Of course now I have to put Bridger on lead before taking him outdoors. He hyperventilated for about a half hour after his first bear encounter!




So the next time you read Blueberries for Sal to your children, be sure to let them know that Maine isn't the only place where black bears live. They're also found in NW Wisconsin!

And just in case they're not sitting on your home library shelves, all of Robert McCloskey books would be a great addition to your home library!

Make Way for Ducklings
One Morning in Maine
Blueberries for Sal
Time of Wonder
Homer Price

Our kids loved them all!  (and so did I)  :-)

P.S.  Don't forget to stop in at Sherry's blog, Lamp Unto My Feet for her Blogiversary Giveaway! My handcrafted soaps are being featured there. :-)


This post is linked to We Did It Wednesday! 
and Lovely Photo Wednesday. 


22 comments:

Denise said...

Such a cute visitor, I love bears. Glad you are safe, love you.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Are you kidding me???? That is awesome.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Michelle said...

Okay, I like seeing bears from a far. One of the reasons I'm a city girl now;-) Great photos, but I still can't get over there was a BEAR in your yard! We LOVE Robert McCloskey!!!

Marty said...

Awww, how sweet...He looks so comfy in the tree=)

Hannah Nicole said...

That's insane! And that bear looks so cute! Fun captures, and man, what a think to see! My grandparents saw a cougar in their backyard, and they live in MN.

Thanks for joining Lovely Photo Wednesday! Have a lovely day yourself! (and don't get ripped to shreds by a bear!)
--Hannah

Unknown said...

That is just crazy!! He did look comfy there on your tree though...and like you said, makes you want to run up to them and just hug them and pet them.

Yenta Mary said...

The sleepy bear is sweet ... let sleeping dogs AND bears lie! Ya just never know what you'll encounter in a day, do you??? The dogs are so funny, too -- Bridger and his trusty sidekick!

partialemptynester said...

Oh, my goodness, too fun! I feel the same way, just want to snuggle that little bear up, but somehow I don't think all the love would be appreciated, lol!

LOVE Robert McCloskey books!!!! Make Way for Ducklings has always been a favorite of mine!!

livinginbetween said...

I'm so jealous! I love black bears -- I always hope to see one when we go to the Smokies. What a great adventure (and great book choices too)! :)

Anonymous said...

Your photos are great! I love the one of the dogs peeking in the window and the bear hanging in the tree.

I don't miss the bear encounters, but I really miss the birds singing and the squirrels from our other house. Can't feed birds here because of the pigeons.

Judy S. said...

What a great adventure, Judy! One of my friends here came home to find her street cordoned off and a cougar in her tree. I love the McCloskey books, too. Have you ever seen the statues in Juneau Park for Make Way for Ducklings? Haven't been there in years, but they sure were cute. Homer Price is another favorite, and of course, BB for Sal.

Special K said...

wow, great pics!!! Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

Love the Bear and LOVE his books! Blueberries for Sal is one of our favorites! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Jill

Deborah said...

My Friend, the bear photos are great, also the one of the dogs is so cute...but hugging a big black bear...hmmm. (even though she looks very cute I would go to WalMart, buy a stuffed bear and hug away!) :D

Candace said...

Great photos!!! It's too bad that bears aren't as cuddly as they look.

Thank you for sharing them!
Candace

Mhel said...

Yep! Im back! Youll be hearing a lot from me again! That bear is cute and scary at the same time. Just glad to hear that you're safe.

Yenta Mary said...

Tag -- you're it! http://foodfloozie.blogspot.com/2010/08/tag-im-it.html

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, my! LOL! I would be scared half to death.

Robin said...

The pictures make you want to go up cuddle him, he looked so soft. Pictures were so cute. My 3 yr old granddaughter would of loved to seen him.

Mama said...

Aww!! So cute! We have about 4 resident bears. I've never seen them in a tree, and the earliest ours arrives is 7pm. We mostly catch ours on our tree camera, which I love to post pictures of. Hopefully he stays out of your trash LOL!

Anonymous said...

Great story and really great pictures.
I can imagine the dogs saying "We told you it was something you needed to see!"

Anonymous said...

Well, there's something you don't see everyday! Following from the Hop!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails