Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cutting the Cheese...so to speak

Wee dishes of feta cheese, ready for the freezer

After learning how to make Feta cheese, I doubt I'll ever buy it again. It is EASY, although it is one of those projects that takes a bit of your attention from time to time, so you're pretty much tied to the house for 9 or 10 hours. This is a project I like to start at 11 AM or noon, for I like to go to bed before midnight.

I was nearly out of Feta, having only one little dish remaining, which I was planning to use on a pizza. So it was time to make Feta again!

I learned how to make Feta cheese from Keila on 'How To With Keila' on YouTube. Watch the video and enjoy. You'll learn how to make Feta cheese and save yourself a lot of money and have fun doing it!





The cheese after it has hung in cheesecloth for 12 hours.


The cheese is crumbling but moist

I then divide this among 6 little sundae dishes

Ready for the freezer

I then put a large (2 gal.) Ziploc bag around this whole tray of cheese dishes and set it in the freezer. As I need to use one, I take one dish out and set it in a sandwich baggie, placing it on its side in the refrigerator (so it can drain even more as it thaws). When I'm ready to use it, I pour off any drained whey and I've got a wonderful, crumbly Feta for salads or pizza. YUM

Last March I wrote a post (with pictures) on my first experience with making Feta cheese! You might enjoy looking at it.

Come on, you know you want to try it!! Be sure to let me know if you do. :-)

***



This post may be linked to some of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and  Cure for the Common Monday and Mealtime Monday and Clever Chicks Blog Hop and Mosaic Monday  and Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and On the Menu Monday and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and   What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and Love Bakes Good Cakes and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Overflowing With Creativity and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and  Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and  A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and  Saturday Nite Special




...and more! Check out all our handcrafted, vegan soaps at

HomemadeSoapnSuch.com

and at

our ETSY store


Photobucket

18 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! that is incredible. I am going to watch this process later today after work. I want to see how you do this. I'm amazed.

Cranberry Morning said...

I've made fresh mozzarella too, but that was a wash, as far as cost to buy vs. cost to make. FETA, on the other hand, is SO much cheaper to make than to buy.

Parsley said...

Oh wow! What a fun, tasty project!

Marti said...

I love feta, now I just think that I will try my hand at making it. Freshly made instead of store bought is always so rewarding.

Mama Hen said...

That is so cool! I never really thought about making cheese myself, but would like to try this. I hope you are doing well! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Heide at ApronHistory said...

We are about to venture into the art of cheesemaking. I bought my brother(the older one) a book on making cheese for Christmas. We are gathering supplies right not and as his birthday is right around the corner, I will buy him more supplies! We are really looking forward to it! :) I think our first batch might be mascarpone or ricotta.

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

Oh, wow! I never even thought about making it. Very cool project!

Lois Christensen said...

That seems like a good thing! Especially the saving money part! Unfortunately I don't care for Feta cheese. How horrible, right? Enjoy your day!

Maggie Ann said...

wow...that is so impressive! I am lactose intolerant so I don't think I'll give it a whirl, but it is impressive. =)

Nikki Monet said...

I looooove feta! I would love to make my own. I am pinning this one!! Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2012/01/bedazzle-me-monday-15.html

Have a great week!!

Tiffanee said...

This is so impressive! Thanks for the inspiration!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, you KNOW I want to try it! I just need the time to devote to it where I can work around the house ....

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to try this since I saw your post last year.. maybe this is the sign that I really need to try it this time!!!

Unknown said...

This looks so great!!! I'm going to go ahead and move it to the cooking/baking linky section. Thanks so much for linking to my party!!!

XO, Aimee

MrsJenB said...

That is so interesting! I love tutorials like this, because I would never imagine that such a feat would be possible otherwise. I'm seriously considering giving this a try! Thanks for sharing. :)

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

how amazing!!!

Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday
Hope to see you next time

Natasha xx

Tobins' Tastes said...

I really want to start making my own cheese! Thanks for the inspiration!

I would love for you to share with my readers at Mealtime Monday!

Kaylee
www.couponingncooking.com

Lisa Lynn said...

Your feta cheese looks amazing! Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-homeacre-hop.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails