Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Curry Chicken Salad Recipe with Dried Cherries - Gluten Free

Curry Chicken Salad

I think it was about a week ago that Laurie, from Cookin' Up North, posted the recipe for her Curry Chicken Salad on her blog. I knew that I had most of the ingredients on hand, so I decided to try it. Be sure to visit her blog to get the original recipe. I tweaked this a bit, simply because I didn't have exactly the same ingredients - but close.

Curry Chicken Salad - Recipe:

1 large can chicken breast (Mine is Member's Mark from Sams Club - only chicken and water. No other creepy ingredients.)
Celery - some (I think this may have been about 3 ribs)
Apple - 1 apple, cored and minced. I used dried apples from my McIntosh tree after pulsing them in the food processor for a bit.
Onion - some (about 1/3 small onion, minced)
Dried Door County Cherries, about 3/4 c.
Chopped Pecans, about 1/3 c.
Miracle Whip Salad Dressing (about 1/3 c.)  Kraft will list all forms a gluten on the ingredient listing. If you don't see it there, then it is not there.)
Lime juice from half a lime
1 t. Hot Curry Powder (I used Penzey's) *
1/8 t. salt
Roasted sunflower seeds
A sprinkling of cayenne, if you like it even a little hotter.

Chop celery and onion.
Mix in drained canned chicken breast, cherries, pecans.
Stir in salad dressing, lime juice, hot curry powder, salt.
Put sunflower seeds in a small bowl on the table.
(No one wants soggy sunflower seeds.)

This stuff is SO delicious!

I can eat a small dish of this for lunch and not even miss potato chips...well, not too much. A few might be really nice to accompany this great chicken salad!

I've already made this twice since last week, so you can tell it's a new favorite around here! Thanks to Laurie.  Now I'm going to go try her Spinach Artichoke Dip!

*What I learned about Penzey's Spices by writing to the company:
'Thank you for taking the time to write.   None of our spices or blends contain any sort of gluten in them, the label indicates everything that is in that jar/bag.  The only product that does contain gluten is our Beef Soup Base.  All of our soup bases are produced at a different site, so as a general rule of thumb we recommend to stay away from all of our soup bases as we can not guarantee that there is no cross contamination.

As a company, we can not claim that we are a gluten free facility as we do not specifically test for gluten and we have a test kitchen on site that does contain flour.  The blending and packaging room is completely separate from the kitchen, but legally we can not advertise our blends as being "gluten free".


We hope this information is helpful and please feel free to contact us with any other questions you may have.


Best regards,

 Kimmie
Penzeys Spices
Customer Service 1-800-741-7787'


Thought I'd pass along that info for those of you who are looking for gluten-free spices.


***

Check out my natural handcrafted vegan soaps!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

'Frosted Apple Spice'

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

16 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Sounds good. I will have to try it. My husband likes curry and we all like it hot :)

Paulette said...

Yep, this sounds vey yummy, I'll have to give it a try. It will make a nice lunch for the ladies that will soon be visiting.

Unknown said...

I love chicken salad.. ESPECIALLY with dried cherries in it. And curry? Well that is just an added bonus here!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Oh good thinking w the canned chicken!! I'm going to Sam's today, might have to get a few cans for this salad. Sounds like a perfect lunch!!

Life Happens said...

I love a good chx salad recipe. I have one similiar to this and it's soooo good!

Thanks for sharing. Just in time for Spring!

Ruth Kelly said...

Can't get Door County cherries here, will have to substitute and it was interesting to put apples in it. Will have to try it with a mild curry - can't take too hot any more.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Sounds like an interesting combination. I have a chicken salad reciepe with grapes and celery. Very good!

Judy S. said...

Sounds tasty, Judy. I'll bet you could substitue craisins for the cherries for a different taste?

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh wow, it sounds so good! We'll have to try it!

Denise said...

Going to try this.

Under Her Wings said...

This sounds delicious. I love dried cherries. I have a chicken salad that I make with grapes that is similar to this, but this is a must try with mayo rather than Miracle Whip. Don't like Miracle Whip! ?Which is funny, because I add sugar to mayo sometimes........who knows my reasoning.

Carla from The River said...

Sounds good. I love chicken salad. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing chicken salad recipe. I made it today for hubby and me and we enjoyed it so much, we will definately make it again.

Chatty Crone said...

Now that looks great.

Deanna said...

Ooh, this sounds delicious! Other than the Miracle Whip - I'm a mayonnaise girl, all the way. ;) In fact, I'm roasting a chicken tonight so I just might have to try this with some of the leftovers.

deeskitchen.blogspot.com

Maria said...

This sounds absolutely delicious!!!! Love the curry/dried cherry combination! Sounds wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails