Thursday, March 29, 2012

Visit From the City - Part II

Few things are more exciting than a fire truck!


I thought the dead turkey would be fascinating to the grandsons. After all, it was pretty exciting to me, for I'd never seen a wild turkey so up-close and personal before. Grandpa wasn't convinced, but after much coaxing, we went anyway, back to the spot where Grandpa and I had seen the turkey the day before. Sure enough, it was in the same vicinity, although some animal had dragged it from one side of the road to the other and got a little snack out of the deal.

It just so happened that the fire department had just begun setting their fires for the fire training burn nearby. We hit the jackpot. A fire training burn AND a dead turkey, all in one day! Who could ask for more?



It's amazing how different it feels when you see flames coming out the window and KNOW that this has been set by the fire department and no one is trapped inside.

Those yellow things are pools of water to use to put out the fire.
They start a fire, then put it out. Repeat.

Not that this isn't a potentially dangerous exercise

It certainly reminds me to appreciate those who put their lives on the line to protect and/or rescue others.

And now for the dead turkey:  (Sorry. There was no good segue for that)

 Okay, you may think this is a little weird, but I thought this bird was beautiful!

The day before, when Kevin and I had first happened upon this bird, and it must have been very recently hit by a car, but the bird's head was even more beautiful than in this picture. The iridescent colors were so gorgeous. I know. I felt sorry for the turkey. What a beautiful creature. You can see our Creator's handiwork even in the colors used to paint a wild turkey's head and neck, the beautiful spread of feathers, the long thick feet. And who thinks anything of a wild turkey? (except me, maybe) Yet, what an awesome Mind that came up with the spectacular design for this beautiful creature! All the color, all the detail...It is amazing, isn't it. Sometimes is scares me when I really take time to ponder our Savior's power. And then I am reminded of this verse:

It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness” (Lamentation 3:22-23).

 'Come, let us worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.' Psalm 95:6

'Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.' Psalm 145:3

Okay, I'm sure you weren't expecting that little outburst of praise in the middle of this post about a dead turkey. But sometimes it's just impossible not to praise our awesome Creator.


 Look at those beautiful feathers...


 ...and those tough feet!


 On the way home...


We made one stop along the way.
It's amazing what a little DQ can do.



Photobucket

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Judy :)
We can really appreciate those guys dedicating their work in helping others in a fire.
Nice feathers on that turkey.
Seems to have been a nice trip :)
enjoy your day!

Eva

Denise said...

My great nephew's dad is a fireman. Zachary loves visiting the fire station.

Unknown said...

Well, I've never actually seen a turkey up close and personal either... and I sure didn't expect to see one today!! LOL

Chatty Crone said...

Well let's see - I appreciate what firemen do and how hard they have to train. Amazing.

I love Dairy Queen.

Not so sure about the dead turkey - although parts if it were interesting.

I do have to say - I know what you mean about the Creator. HE is so amazing in all the things HE creates.


Love, sandie

Deanna said...

My husband is a volunteer firefighter. One of our son's friends is a film student in New Orleans and his final project was a film about a volunteer department. My husband found a house that someone wanted burned down and his dept. set fire to it for the film. It was fascinating to watch.

Unknown said...

Well you just have to love a purposely set fire, firemen, a dead beautiful turkey and DQ!! WOW, what a day you had.

Ruth Kelly said...

What an outing! Watching fire fighters practice and close shots of a wild turkey. We do try to imitate nature but yes, our Heavenly Father created so much beauty for us to enjoy.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What a lovely snapshot of your day! I haven't seen a turkey that close either. Very interesting bird.

By they way, those yellow water tanks the firemen use are called port-a-tanks.

Yenta Mary said...

A dead turkey, a fire truck, a buggy, AND Dairy Queen??? They'll never want to leave Grandma and Grandpa's house! Boy, do you know how to show the kids a good time!!! :)

Michelle said...

Wow, I've never seen a firefighter training, that would be so interesting. My two love firetrucks and DQ too!

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

I'm sure firefighters and policemen are not paid in accordance with the danger they face regularly. They are brave souls, for sure. The poor turkey is (was) beautiful. ---
shannon

Judy S. said...

Wow, you did have a busy day, Judy! Do you live near Chetek? Did you read Truck? That was my first intro to that part of WI. What is it about little boys and firetrucks? I've only seen wild turkeys once in OR but don't remember them being that colorful. Are their heads really red, and blue, or was it just the light?

Cranberry Morning said...

BTW, the colors you see on the turkey are true. That's why I was so surprised that they were that beautiful. I'd only seen them at a distance before, and hadn't seen those colorful heads and necks. We usually just see them as big brown birds in the field.

debbie bailey said...

We have some wild turkeys in the woods behind our house. In the early morning they start gobbling to each other. I love hearing them! In the twenty-two years we've lived in this house, this is the first year we've heard turkeys.

One of our son's college friends heard about them and wants to come shoot them. "No way," I said. "He can leave our turkeys alone."

If we had a large flock, I wouldn't mind him killing one or two, but there's not that many. So he'll just have to go elsewhere.

There's something hideous about the tom turkey's head and all that red stuff hanging down. Guess the female turkeys like it! But they are beautiful in other ways.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails