Monday, October 5, 2015

Oktoberfest 2015, Dallas, Kubb Tournament

 Beautiful little Dallas Pond and bridge
I think I can get away with calling that a fence.


 The local chess tournament
in our library

The grands were out this past weekend for a short but fun Oktoberfest visit and lunch at Sand Creek Cafe. It's always great to see them and watch their antics. Three brothers, close together in age, provide lots of entertainment.

 The REAL Robin Hood



Oktoberfest was held this weekend in little Dallas, WI with an enormous crowd flooding Valkyrie Brewery, the town, and park. The guys and granddaughter started out the morning by attending the pancake breakfast held at the fire hall.

The world's longest brat, made by world-famous Louie's Finer Meats of Cumberland (they've won many, many awards!),  was grilled on the 165 foot grill you see in the collage above.
 


The Valkyrie Brewing Company sign, designed by the very talented, artistic owner. They were formerly known as Viking Brewing Company, until some outfit in Norway made them an offer they couldn't refuse regarding their trademark. No problem. They changed it to Valkyrie, which I think has a pretty nice ring to it.


Above, you see photos of the largest Kubb tournament in the United States, or something along those lines. I watched the players for a bit, long enough to learn that they first throw sticks at blocks, then throw blocks at sticks. It was quite fascinating.


I guess it's the kind of game that's developed in countries where it's cold and dark most of the year. This one originated in Sweden, although I would have believed that it had come from Scotland if you'd told me so.


Lovely granddaughter, listening attentively to Grandpa's words of wisdom - or possibly expounding on the meaning of Kubb.

Coyote Lady

Not to be missed were the many vendors who had booths set up in the park. This one was wearing her coyote hat - yes, a full coyote, minus innards, perched atop her head. I've seen more beautiful hats, but nothing nearly as eye catching.

Now you've been caught up on the Oktoberfest celebration in Dallas. It was fun to see our little village so crowded with outsiders, most of whom were carrying either a stein or a glass of beer. The others were throwing sticks at blocks - or vice versa.

Wish you'd been there.


Typical scene at the Sand Creek Cafe
Did you already guess that those stools spin?

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more,
Get 1 FREE

'Figgy Pudding'
Natural, handcrafted vegan soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

36 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

That grill is amazing!! And spinning stools are great entertainment :)

Arlene G said...

What a fun weekend!! Your weather was better than mine! I loved the picture of your husband and your granddaughter. So sweet!!

NanaDiana said...

What a great weekend fest to attend! LOVE the pic of your hubby and granddaughter. She's a pretty girl! Here they lay claim to the largest hamburger in the world (Seymour, WI) and cook it on a roof top covered in tin (or used to-they may have improved their cooking issue by now). Hope you have a good week. Cloudy here this morning but supposed to be in the 70s tomorrow. xo Diana

MadSnapper said...

I am a lover of spinning stools and also the spinning chairs at the barber shop daddy used to get his hair cut at... the photo of your granddaughter is perfect and a beautiful shot of two beautiful people. love the grandson playing chess. alos love the old desk i see in that shot. Octoberfest looks like great fun. we went to Octoberfest in Daytona Beach years ago, but that was all about Harley Daivisons and their riders.

Bricks & Laurel said...

Love your observations on the kubbing (is that a word?). Aren't all sports kind of ridiculous, when you get down to it? Don't even get me started on curling...another "sport" from a cold, dark country. Your grands are adorable...and your granddaughter! That hair! Just beautiful.

Linda Kay said...

Judy, our Fredericksburg celebrated Oktoberfest this past weekend, and there were many, many glasses of beer served along with brats. There were polka bands and so many tourists that they had to park many blocks away from the festivities and walk. Your granddaughter is beautiful!

Cheryl said...

What a hat!! And this line..."I've seen more beautiful hats, but nothing nearly as eye catching."...made me laugh out loud. :D

Spinning stools are made for children. I have yet to meet the child who could ignore the call to spin.

Lovely granddaughter...handsome grandboys!

Tired Teacher said...

Personally, I like the hat your granddaughter is wearing!

I'd never heard of Kubb; obviously, I need to get out more.

Stephanie said...

Looks like a fabulous and fun time, my friend. What precious memories you are making :) An the hat....I love it {{smiles}}

Happy Monday to you. Hugs!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Judy, your post today reminds me how diverse our country is. The hat kinda did me in this morning--Lol! You and your family have fun together! Have a wonderful fall day. ♥

Red Rose Alley said...

Judy, Octoberfest, fun times! The girls try to go to Octoberfest every year, and they are having one in my town this year, but it probably won't be as festive as this! The largest brat is amazing. Your granddaughter looks so cute in these pictures wearing her hat, and I really love that one of them playing chess. That's a great picture and one to be framed.

Thank you for the birthday wishes for Jess today.

~Sheri

Gypsy Heart said...

Looks like a fun and entertaining weekend! :)

Pat

Linda said...

Looks like a fun weekend. Oh I bet that Figgy Pudding soap smells good (smiles)...blessing sweet friend.

TexWisGirl said...

the longest brat made me laugh. have never heard of kubb so thanks for the new thing!

Alex said...

Haha, the one that made me smile was the boys spinning their stools, yes that sounds familiar! Whereas Kubb does not!
A vivid description of the day - great fun! X

Angela said...

I love Elisabeth's Robin Hood-esque hat! Wish we could have been there.

Joyce said...

So envious of your lovely weekend weather. We aren't flooding like some parts of the state, but it rained hard the entire weekend. Better today, and the rest of the week is looking up. I'd have guessed Scotland too : )

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I wish I was there! That stick and block things sounds funny and interesting! The café looks so cozy and sweet. I have spinning spools in my kitchen and I find the center screw on the floor a lot!!

Terri D said...

So much joy in your post today!! Love the photos, and your granddaughter is indeed lovely!

Margaret D said...

Ah! What fun the boys are having spinning!

Denise said...

wow, looks fun.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

A great fun post

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I would have fun just people watching there...the coyote hat...how strange. Looks like the kids had a fantastic time!

Vee said...

Spinning grandsons, Robin Hooded Lass, and a coyote hatted gal...well, it is interesting. Must show John the game from Sweden. He'll be interested, too.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

looks like fun. i love words are wisdom ... i try to listen to all ... because you never know even a youngster can know a thing or two. you have a great week. no rain here this week so far, hoping for more sun. we had rain last week. ha. ha! ( :

Jerralea said...

What a great weekend! I love that first pond picture!

I'd have also liked to see that 165' long brat while it was grilling. I bet it smelled wonderful.

podso said...

What a fun place for lunch--stepping back in time. Enjoyed seeing the photos. Especially the coyote hat (I suppose it kept her warm) and chess in the library.

Pamela Gordon said...

A coyote skin hat?? Oh my! Reminds me of the senior ladies in my life (grandmother and aunts) wearing fox fur stoles and collars complete with heads and tails!! The Oktoberfest looks like a fun event. Never heard of the game Kubb before. Have a nice week!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Fun, next year we will have to join you.
I love your granddaughters hat! Robin Hood?? :-)
Carla

Lorrie said...

Oktoberfest in your town looks like a fun and happening event. Kubb is a new game to me - love the photo of your beautiful granddaughter in her hat listening to Grandpa.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

What an extraordinary Octoberfest with so much to see and do. Kubb sounds like an odd game by your description but I guess when watching it makes sense.
Hmm, I always thought Robin Hood was a taller chap. ;-)
Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday.

Anonymous said...

Pretty shot across the water--looks like a fence to me! Looks like a great family time.

Shug said...

Don't you just love celebrations like this? I do! cute little Robin Hood that you have there. Looks like a good fence to me!
Have a Blessed day.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I remember spinning t our local soda shop! Nice to know they still exist!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Great to enjoy time with the grandkids.

Ida said...

Some very interesting times here at this Oktober fest. - The coyote hat was certainly unique.
Enjoyed your pretty view of the pond bridge/fence.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails