Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Hodgepodging Our Early Thanksgiving

The Hayride
Mr. C. taking us on the scenic route
through the neighborhood.

WARNING:  This post is full of family photos from our Early Thanksgiving last weekend.


***

Join Joyce and the Gang
for
She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own post
and join in!


1. What would you say is your strongest sense?

Common. No, really - evidenced by hosting our family Thanksgiving in warm and beautiful October instead of cold and dreary November.

Pumpkin carving in the backyard

2. Do you believe in the idea of a 'sixth sense'? Why or why not?

I believe that a 'sixth sense' or intuition can be developed through experience and paying attention. I have a lot of experience, but I'm not sure how good I am at paying attention. I'll just blame my dad. He passed on the ability to be preoccupied in almost any situation. I mean really, there's just always so much to be thinking about!

And in the dark of night...

3. When do you most feel like a slave to time? Explain.

I work better under pressure, so I don't really mind being a slave to time, and maybe the most recent example would be making Thanksgiving dinner, getting two pumpkin and two apple pies made in 2 1/2 hours. It's also a challenge to try to get a whole dinner to be ready at the same time, a skill that comes from years of experience. I won't mention that the turkey looked like it had been rubbed with Coppertone and set out in the sun for way too long. Sometimes we learn from experience, and other times we just gain more experience. :-)

Photo by Courtney
(sorry. small file, can't enlarge)

4. Have you ever worked in a restaurant? How would you rate the experience? If you could own a restaurant what kind would it be?

Years ago I worked in something like a restaurant, and on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 3. It was kind of fun except for unreasonable or strange customers. If I could own a restaurant, it would be one without customers. Or maybe the customers would all be my grandkids.

Trying to make Tuppence pose for the photo

5. Ever traced your family tree? Share something interesting you learned there.

My family tree includes my maternal grandpa, who came to America from Denmark when he was 19 years old. He came here with $5 in his pocket, which presumably meant he could get a train ticket from New York to the midwest and maybe a meal to eat along the way. That was a very long time ago, obviously. Anyway, I know that information because of the ship manifest that our daughter found online. There was his name, his age, and how much money he had with him. So not all Danes were harassing the British. Some harassed the Illinoisians.


Trying to coax Audrey out from hiding

6. What did your childhood bedroom look like?
I'm thinking it was a mess. And yet, how could it have been a mess? My sister and I shared a room (smallish by today's standards), we had one medium-size closet for the two of us, and I know our clothes would have taken up hardly any room in the closet. We had maybe two pair of shoes each, and there were not piles of junk sitting around, nor did our parents have to rent a storage unit. Life was simpler then, at least for a kid, except when my sister got really possessive of her side of the bed and put a string down the middle of the bed with the ultimatum that I not intrude into her space at night, even if I was freezing to death - which I nearly did - many times, I'm sure. Sibling love.

Picasso - with diaper

7. Anyone who knows me knows I love_watching British mysteries.

Contemplating a big career

8. Insert your own random thought here.

 The bonfire

It was fun getting back to our Early Thanksgiving, held mid October, now that our daughter and son-in-law have moved to Wisconsin from their decade of exile in Texas. People started arriving Friday evening and although Friday morning was beautiful, by Saturday morning it looked like some of our fun would have to be canceled. Fortunately, the day was misty, not a drenching rain, and all day Sunday was gorgeous. It is the perfect time of year to have the family together for Thanksgiving, and this year only a few were unable to attend. It was a great weekend. And all day Monday I felt like I had jetlag. 

I'm thankful for this big family.



 The oaks at peak of color

 Mr. C. and grandson


 The neighbor's barn

This post is also linked to:

*** 
CHRISTMAS SOAPS

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Christmas Morning
Natural Vegan Soap 

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

50 comments:

Arlene G said...

Loved seeing the pictures of your family Judy!! All of my family came from England, Scotland or Ireland. I have thought of having my DNA checked with Ancestry but I am afraid I would be mad for paying for what I already know!lol These days whenever family can get together it is a good thing,

A Joyful Chaos said...

Common sense is an excellent thing to have as your strongest sense. Something it seems the world is lacking now-a-days.

TexWisGirl said...

how awesome! fabulous timing to celebrate the family! common, indeed. :)

Carla from The River said...

I loved all the family photos. What a grand time!! The weather has been amazing.
I liked your memories about your bedroom.
Have a great week!
Carla

Preppy Empty Nester said...

You and I answered #1 with the same answer! Great minds think alike. Have a great week, Judy.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved all the amazing pictures. My favorite was the barn. I have a thing for old barns, old churches, and old cemetaries....and of course....fall foliage. The hayride reminded me of a wagon ride we took in Ireland. It was so much fun.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I always enjoy your photography and the beauty that is yours to enjoy. I especially liked the pictures of the children. What a great weekend you had to add to your box of special times. Thanks for sharing.

MadSnapper said...

I love love love all the photos, every single one. the Audrey hunt under the bench is my favorite. I can feel and see the family joy and I think having TG on any day is wonderful.
my strongest sense is my nose, drives me crazy smelling what others do not. but close 2nd is common sense, I have a lot of that and know a lot who have not one iota.

I enjoyed the coppertone turkey and the string and sibling love stories. my child hood room had one dresser, 2 metal army cots on either side and that was as wide as the room. my brother in one cot and me the other. that was the entire contents. nothing I want to remember about it.

Cheryl said...

Oh, what a delightful read!! Yes, your common sense holds you in good stead as you celebrate Thanksgiving in October. Every year, I think we should observe Canadian Thanksgiving and give ourselves some extra weeks between holidays, but I never do it. If we lived in Wisconsin, maybe I could get everybody on board...

My favorite quote from this post: "Sometimes we learn from experience, and other times we just gain more experience."

My favorite photo: It's a tie between the one of Tuppence in her forced pose and the one of the little ones trying to coax Audrey from her safe place. :D Really though, all your photos are making me feel warm and fuzzy and Thanksgiving-y and family-ish.

Tired Teacher said...

Another fun and cozy post. Most of the hayrides I've been on were in the evening. Last night I told a friend that it would be a good night for a hay ride - crisp air, crunchy leaves, and a full moon. Ahh, life is good.

Pamela Gordon said...

Wonderful post Judy. You would make a great Canadian having celebrated Thanksgiving in mid-October. ;) It's nice to do a new tradition. I love the photo of the wagon ride down the tree lined road. Have a great week!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I follow you on Instagram and have enjoyed your pictures. I think we've been up to the same thing recently - lots of enjoying Fall and October! Fun reading your Hodgepodge today, thank you!

Barbara said...

Thank you for including us on your hayride! That first photo of the golden tunnel of trees is stunning!

I like your statement, "a 'sixth sense' or intuition can be developed through experience and paying attention." That's insightful.

You would have a restaurant without customers? You make me laugh! And "decade of exile in Texas" -- I've felt that way about a place where we used to live (which will go unnamed).

Thanks for sharing yourself with us on the Hodgepodge today! I need to spend more time 'wordsmithing' on my blog. You've written some memorable stuff!

Life Happens said...

That first picture of the scenic hayride was gorgeous! What a breath taking view of God's beauty! And what a great idea to have early Thanksgiving!

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

Your pictures are great. I can agree with a restaurant without customers. They seem to be the worst part of any business. Through the years, we have had some wonderful customers but more than our fair share of turkeys.

Empty Nester said...

By far one of the best Hodgepodges yet! I love seeing and hearing all about your wonderful family. You make all of us feel at home and a part of the fun, love, and laughter. :)

Suzanne McClendon said...

I love that barn. It is beautiful. I bet it would make a great house, too. :)

I think it is great that you had your Thanksgiving in October. I'm all for Thanksgiving in October, November, December has Christmas, and then Thanksgiving can pick back up in January, until Easter, then, start back where Easter left off. Did I ever mention that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and always has been? :)

I love your fall photos. Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

There's nothing better than family, and I'm so glad you shared yours with us through your pictures! I love the idea of an early Thanksgiving, too!

"Common sense" is a great answer, by the way :)

Terri D said...

Your early Family Thanksgiving is such a great idea! I sure do miss our big family gatherings. Yours is such a blessing, as I know you know!! Great photos and a fun Hodgepodge thrown in. Thanks for sharing the love! Hope Audrey survived her first big party! :)

Chatty Crone said...

You really have me in the mood for fall - that is my favorite season. You make it look so beautiful.

DO you know there are really 7 real senses - I know a lot about it - it is Sensory Processing Disorder - which Andy has.

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving.

sandie

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

OH I loved seeing all of the wonderful family pics Judy!! It truly liked like one of those perfect weekends. ;) Those are the moments when family look back one day at the fond memories you made being together and sharing such fun with one another.

So interesting about your Danish heritage - love it!

Love all the jack-o-lanterns...great job carvers!! Lol

We live in the most beautiful state during this time of year, don't ya think?
Blessings Hon. xoxo

Theresa said...

I agree about timing all that food to be ready at the right time comes from experience. Your pies look delicious. Love seeing all your beautiful photos and the diaper one is so sweet :)

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I love your early Thanksgiving, Judy! What a wonderful weekend celebration with your family. A hayride and bonfire and pumpkin carving sound perfect to me. I'm imagining your Coppertone turkey and am guessing it was yummy. My Mama's turkeys always had that glow--deliciousness. Hopefully you are over the jet lag and resting up after your busy celebration. Have a great evening. ♥

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the fun photos from your family time together. So many sweet memories. Your pies look delicious! Have a blessed evening.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I really enjoyed that, CM, both the excellent commentary (you do have a wonderful, sometimes tongue in cheek, style) and the lovely shots. It's a good job all the Danes weren't hassling us Brits or moving to the wilds of the USA; some of them had to stay behind to invent Lurpak and Lego.

Vee said...

Wholeheartedly agree with an October Thanksgiving especially having celebrated quite a few of them. Course Thanksgiving can be whenever the family needs one. Same with any holiday. Wonderful photos...especially loved The Great Golden Way and the grands working with the pets. Oh and the one that can not be enlarged (except that I did) with everyone doing his or her thing. Loved seeing the conversation at the sink. Looks as if a good time was had by all.

Wendy said...

Well I like to think I've got a lot of common sense but that answer never occurred to me! Enjoyed reading your answers and seeing all your pictures. Great idea to have Thanksgiving before the weather gets too bad and be able to enjoy having the family together. Your pies looked good :)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, they hayride looks like fun. The trees are so pretty and colorful. Your grandkids are all adorable. Great answers and wonderful photos. Happy Thursday, have a great day!

Tanya Breese said...

i love that scenic hayride and you have the cutest grandkids! i really enjoyed your hodgepode answers!

carol l mckenna said...

What fun photos ~ you are blessed with a loving family ~ thanks.

Wishing you a Happy Thursday ~ ^_^

Mama Squirrel said...

October is the RIGHT time to have Thanksgiving. But then I'm Canadian.

"So not all Danes were harassing the British. Some harassed the Illinoisians." That's the funniest thing I've read all week.

Anita Johnson said...

I could make lots of comments, but will just say I enjoyed this!

Bev said...

Looks like a wonderful family time!!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, loved your answer about sense - common sense! That hayride looks like such fun! And, of course, my favorite photo is of Tuppence and the grands - just adorable.

podso said...

Enjoyed your hodgepodge and family photos of what looks like a wonderful time together. Such great memories you're building for your grandkids. It would be interesting to collect stories of the first one in each family's arrival in the new world. Your grandfather's story sounds similar to my great grandfather. He didn't bring much money, but some trinkets to sell.

Lady Fi said...

Love the colours in that first shot.

Lowcarb team member said...

Dear Judy
A most wonderful post. I loved seeing all the family, fun photo's.
Thank you,

All the best Jan

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Wonderful to see all the family photos! Such a happy, beautiful family! I used to work in restaurants when I was younger.....you meet all kinds! Happily more wonderful people than not. Lovely photos of the scenery, too. Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx Karen

Judy S. said...

Loved all the photos! Sounds like you had a great time together and that's what Thanksgiving is all about, no matter when you celebrate. You also must be feeling better to host such a large gathering, and that's really good news. Have a great weekend!

DeniseinVA said...

This was so much fun to see your family enjoying themselves. Great photos!

vivian said...

what a great idea to host thanksgiving in october! or.. if we could just choose the weather we want for different occasions.. that would be good too! lol!
great pics! have a great weekend
xoxo
vivian

Lynne said...

Looks like the best family time ever . . .
Thanksgiving in October sounds like a winner . . .
We have a family gathering each October 31 . . .
Called . . . "Soups On" . . . this year three different soups . . .
The tradition began when the "grands" were little and now the grands
are the ones that look forward to this time more than ever.
Our quiet two person home is transformed into bedlam . . .
So much fun . . .
Wonderful you could all be together . . . love the pictures . . . and oh my, a hay ride!

Creations By Cindy said...

Good morning Judy, thank you so much for taking the time to stop by to visit me. It meant so much. i loved looking at your family pictures. Looks like lots of fun was had by all. I too have a big family and love it! Have a great weekend. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Ida said...

Looks like everyone was having a grand time at the "early" Thanksgiving. - Great idea. - Loved your Autumn colors, so pretty.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

It's heartwarming to see a family gathering having fun and eating good food together. I sometimes envy those with large families, ours is small and gatherings are fairly quiet.

Ruth Kelly said...

Your family looks as though they are having a wonderful time. It sounds like a great idea. Your kitty looks a lot like one of my daughter's cats.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Common sense is a great answer! I work better under pressure too. Love the little bit of information you shared about your family history. Looks like it was an awesome time with your family!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

what a great collection of family fun times and memories :)

Robin said...

Great pictures, looks like everyone had a great time at your early Thanksgiving. I've been thinking a lot about Tom and wondering how he is doing with the holidays coming soon.

Robin said...

Looks like everyone had a wonderful time at your early Thanksgiving. Have been thinking a lot about Tom lately, wondering how he is doing with the holidays coming soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails