Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Hodgepodging Springing Beauties


 Backyard, daffodils and flowering crab
May, 2016

This year, we were still snow covered in mid April, so it will be a while before we see daffodils and the flowering crab in bloom.  As I write this, it's the first of May, the snow is  [finally!!!] gone, and it's in the lower 70s. Once again, we went from winter to summer in about a day. That is not uncommon in NW Wisconsin.

Join Joyce and the Gang
for




 She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!
1. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Is there a flower you associate with a particular memory? Explain.
From April of 2012


The type of flower shown above is what I think we called 'springing beauties.'  When we were kids, we'd make May baskets out of construction paper on the first day of May, place a few candies, some springing beauties, and maybe a little note, and sneak to the neighbor's house to hang a May basket on their door before running off. It was intended to be a nice surprise. And I think they were supposed to chase us down to kiss us. (Or am I making that up? They'd probably be arrested these days.)

2. Last time you helped someone? Tell us how.

The last time I helped someone was a few minutes ago when I helped my grandson with a math problem.

3. It's National Salsa Month (the food, not the dance) so tell us, do you like salsa? Hot, medium, or mild? Homemade, store bought, or from your favorite restaurant only?
Mr. C's homemade salsa, the very best

I do like salsa, medium hot, but almost every other salsa, compared to Mr. C's, is a disappointment.

4. When I was twelve years old...

When I was 12 years old, my joys in life were my horse Shammar, playing with the neighbor kids at the creek, building forts, and playing football. Life would be so much easier if we could go from 12 to 25 and just skip those years in between.
 via somewhere on the web,
but looks like my horse Shammar

5. It's the first of May so let's run with it-first things first, don't know the first thing about it, first dibs on something, first impression, first rate, first cousin, first string, first come first served, at first light-which phrase can best be applied to something in your life currently or even recently?

Two grandsons are with us this week and last. So I'd say I'll go with: First things first. Let's get our school work done first, then go outdoors to play - unless it's going to rain. In that case, play first and do school work while it's raining.
 Grandpa's famous French toast and sausages breakfast
before starting school

6. Insert your own random thought here. 
So yesterday morning I was sitting in bed, drinking my early morning coffee, when the 8 year old appeared and slid in beside me. To set this up, I'll have to say that he has always been fascinated with the idea of my first and second hip implants.
G: Does your leg hurt?
Me: No, only if someone puts pressure on it.
G: or something falls on it?
Me: Right.
G: If a penny falls on it?
Me: No.
G: If a nickel falls on it?
Me: No.
G: If a dime falls on it?
Me: No.
G: I have a silver dollar. If a silver dollar falls on it?
Me: Maybe.

Games with friends,
after our Full Moon Walk

 April 29, on our Full Moon Walk
with friends (see above)

***


Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 
French Lilac & Lavender
Natural Vegan Soap


Handcrafted, Natural vegan Soap
No animal products, No harsh chemicals
Luscious fragrance, Luxurious lather


4.5+ oz. bars.
$5.75 each OR Buy 5, get another FREE


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

29 comments:

Sandi said...

Sweet photos! :)

Empty Nester said...

What a sweet conversation. I can't wait to have those times with Marcy. She already talks to me but I only understand every 5th word or so. LOL I do act as though I understand everything out of her mouth and she does love to talk which she comes by honestly. :) I'm sure Roland will be the same way. We are a family of motor mouths. I agree life would be easier if we could skip from 12 to 25. Goodness, those years. I keep thinking what an idiot I was but so was everyone else so... And now I want some French toast. Ha! Have a great day!

Lynne said...

Kids Thought Question Gems . . . Loved it . . .
The tiny blue flower . . . what is the name?
No Tommy and Smokey . . . ??

MadSnapper said...

my comment disappeared, not sure where. testing to see if you have comment approval on

MadSnapper said...

ok, i guess it is gone to never never land. love the GS conversation, my hip hurts with dog head pressure. i would love to skip my 15 to 20 years, high school nearly did me in... never heard of the may baskets, cute story

Cheryl said...

Looks like good times at your house! A little flashback to your own homeschooling days? I love the morning conversation with your grandson! He wants to get to the bottom of this apparently!

Happy spring!! You made it!! (Insert happy dance . . . as long as no silver dollars are nearby.)

Susie said...

Judy, I always love to see your photos. That blue flower is precious. I wish I had a yard full. I laughed about the leg test..penny, nickle,dime. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I enjoyed your "May Day" memories. Those were sweeter, simpler times. I remember doing a May Pole dance, as well.
I loved your random thoughts, as well. Cute conversation with your grandson :)
Kathy (Reflections)

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I love the stories of the May baskets and your grandson's fascination with your hips. Thanks for the chuckle and have a lovely day, Judy.

Vee said...

Crazy, fun conversations with the concerned grandson. How good to have warmer days arrive, but I will miss a string of 60° days. The heat will not make me any happier than the cold did. I am such a whiner. Happy school days to you! I told the coin story from last week to my grands and they loved it! It was, after all, a perfectly logical answer.

Debby Ray said...

I can see why you call those flowers Spring Beauties...they are stunning and I love the story you told about them. So glad your spring temps have arrived...the rest of the good stuff surely can't be far behind! Mr. C's salsa looks amazing as does his French toast and your sweet conversation with your grandboy made me smile. Enjoy your week!

Maribeth said...

Aren't grandchildren the best? My two year old grandson got all the way to Disney (first airplane trip) and all he wanted to do when they got to the hotel was facetime with me, his Oma! I felt so loved! Thanks for stopping by my Blog. I have bookmarked your blog and will be back!

Michelle said...

Hi, Judy! Thanks for stopping by.
I enjoyed seeing the pretty flowers!

Oh, to be twelve again. Dreaming!

Mrs.T said...

Great photos and what a fun grandson story. Like how he worked up to the 50¢ piece which he actually did have. Wonder if he had it in his pocket?

Around 80º here today and just a little too humid. Always something to complain about... I'm enjoying the sunshine, though.

Linda said...

How fun is this??? Your grandson sounds like a hoot and I love him already!!
Glad your snow is finally gone!!! It was a long time leaving!

Wendy said...

Good to know the snow has gone. We've had a cold snap again the past few days. Our flowers are very confused! Those blue ones of yours are really pretty. Loved hearing about the conversation with your Grandson. I bet you've loved having them.

Chatty Crone said...

I am so jealous (in a good way) of your wonderful life and your beautiful photos!!! Are your grands staying with you now? You still have snow - that I am alright without it is 80 here and almost too hot! Love, sandie

ellen b. said...

Glad you can see some spring instead of just snow. How nice that you are there for your grands and your kids. Soon I'll know about talks with our little grand. Looks like one of her first solid words is, AMEN! Have a good rest of the week!

Julie said...

Your 12 year old self must have had a delightful time! I remember May Day baskets and leaving them for my mom to find. Yes, they were supposed to catch us and kiss us, but I never actually ran very far. ;)

Terri D said...

Sweet times with that grandson who slips into bed with his grandma!! Hubby's salsa looks SO good! Does he share the recipe? This was a fun Hodgepodge (they all are)!

Joyce said...

Maybe you should be bottling that salsa and selling it on Etsy? It looks perfect-just the way I like mine. How special to have such a sweet extended visit with your grandsons. I'm sure they will treasure the memories made too.

Carla from The River said...

Hey, I mentioned Mr. C's salsa on the Hodgepodge today too. ;-) He is famous for his salsa.
We are so blessed with our friendship with you and your family. The moon walks have become a wonderful tradition!! Thank You Judy!!

Gattina said...

I wouldn't be able to help in maths I need a calculator to add 1+1 ! That's nice to have the two grandkids with you ! My 7 year old lives in Amsterdam and I only see him once in a while. Fortunately the telephone video exists !

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I've never seen those flowers before. I'm going to have to do some research. Have you posted Mr C's famous salsa recipe? I always have to make my own "special" version of salsas because I can't eat raw onions.

Creations By Cindy said...

Judy, what a precious post. Nothing like grandbabies. I know what people mean when they say they wished they had of had them first. LOL! I have made salsa but liked the store bought better. I need a good recipe. I sorta like a little kick to it. Hugs and blessings to you dear lady.
Cindy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You know we all want to BEG for Mr. C to share his Salsa recipe! You're making me SO hungry for some....and a bag of Tostitos! (do they still make that brand? heehee) Enjoy your afternoon!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

We never did that as a kid but I've always loved the thought of taking gifts to the neighbors house. Those flowers are gorgeous! Way to go grandma helping with the math problem. Those are beautiful childhood memories. That's a yummy breakfast. That's a sweet random story.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

The daffodils are just gorgeous! I especially liked the moon ;you held in the palm of your hand! Have a wonderful weekend!

podso said...

How fun to be able to take part in your grandsons' homeschooling, even if for a couple of weeks. They look like they are fun boys. And it sounds like you are a big help to the idea of weight and gravity. After my second new knee my granddaughter said, "grandma are you going to keep getting new knees?" Love the idea of your moon walks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails