Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Tommy & Smokey Update Medley


 Barn across the road




I'm starting out this blog post with a few photos I took on our walk a couple nights ago. The light just before sunset is so golden. I love it! And if you'll look closely at the first photo, you'll see the golden light shining on the inside of the barn behind the first barn. I didn't notice that until I'd already posted the photo on Instagram. Anyway, I hope you enjoy these. 


Join Terri and the Gang
for


She writes the questions;
we write the answers. Plug them into your own blog post
and link up at
Your Friend From Florida, Terri's blog.

THANK YOU, TERRI.


Terri writes in black. My responses are in blue.
There are some pretty serious issues on the National Day Calendar this week.
Let's take on a few of them!!  The titles are linked back to The National Calendar.

NATIONAL MAKING LIFE BEAUTIFUL DAY


1.  Tell us about a time you made someone's life beautiful or someone made YOUR life beautiful.

I might have made someone's life more beautiful when I relinquished our dear Tommy & Smokey last Saturday to Elizabeth, who drove all the way from Madison, WI to visit them, so we could get to know her and see if this would be a good fit for adoption.

As you know, we are moving to Wausau eventually, and because of our grandkids' severe allergies, and because we will be sharing a home with them and our daughter, it was out of the question to take Tommy & Smokey with us. I put up fliers in veterinarian offices, handed out fliers, wrote up a flyer for Instagram, for here on my blog, and asked everyone I knew to please pass the word along to help us look for a loving home for them.

Eventually I heard from a young woman named Elizabeth. And as you know, I later had phone conversations with the two character references she gave me. She came through with flying colors. So then it was down to the personal meet and greet. Would she be okay? Would Mr. C. or I get 'bad vibes'?? Would she look like a serial killer???

So last Saturday she and a friend arrived to meet the kitties. Tommy was a real gentleman and did his best to make her feel right at home. Smokey did her best to hightail it out of the room and hide upstairs. But after a nice time of talking with Elizabeth and Carlie, I think we all knew that she was going to be the perfect next home for them. She is so personable, obviously loved them immediately, and, as a bonus: loves books, loves maps, loves cats, and gave me a bag of King Arthur gluten-free flour. I mean really.

 Elizabeth and Tommy

 Think I should get non-glare lenses next time??
We're all pretty happy here (well, as happy as can be expected)
except for Tommy, who was wanting to get down.

This is the photo that Elizabeth posted on Instagram on Monday.
You can tell T&S are still a little tense, but I'm sure they'll settle in just fine.
I'll have to admit, though, that I got a catch in my throat when I was scrolling through Instagram and saw this photo of the two of them.
MY BABIES!!! 
Get over it, Judy. God gave you more than you had asked for in Elizabeth!!

Yes, God was so in this project of finding just the right person who would love Tommy & Smokey and give them a good, loving home. And Carlie the friend? She, believe it or not, volunteered to ride in the back seat of the car with the kitties, all the 3.5 hours back to Madison. That is one true friend!  I don't even dare ask how long they whined about being on a car ride. I'll pretend that they just lay down and took a great, long nap. :-))

 

NATIONAL SMILE POWER DAY

June 15th is the day we observe National Smile Power Day.  This is a day for everyone to share the power of the smile.

2.  Will you take on the challenge and smile more often on June 15th?  Why not start now!!  Have you been blessed by a smile that changed your day?

No, I won't take on the smile challenge. I already smile a lot. And I love smiling at complete strangers and trying to brighten their day. God has given me so much to be grateful for, starting with His Son and His Church, and so many other blessings besides, that how can I not smile? I'm a happy person!



 
These are the last photos of Tommy and Smokey that I'll be posting on my blog. So I would recommend following @lisbeth_michelle7  on Instagram (She has a private account so you'll need to request permission to follow her) or Elizabeth Sumner on Facebook. That's where the photos will be. I won't promise that I won't occasionally, however, post a re-run or one you've not seen if I'm feeling especially lonesome for them. But I'll try to let Elizabeth do the posting of her new 'fur babies' and stay out of the picture. This is not an easy thing!


NATIONAL RANDOM ACTS OF LIGHT DAY

“There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” ~ Edith Wharton

3.  Terri is a cancer survivor.  Cancer has touched most of us in one way or another.  When did someone reach out to you with an act of kindness or when did you last perform a random act of kindness for someone?

It's really such a grim subject, isn't it, and you'd think by 2019 there would be a cure. I have a friend who died of pancreatic cancer, and I know she left a huge hole of love and kindness and joy in her family and her community.  But she had hope for a future, never lost her sense of wonder and fun, and is presently with the Lord, awaiting the Resurrection of the body. God bless you, Tom, her wonderful husband, who was a perfect match for Bonnie.

 


NATIONAL LOVING DAY

National Loving Day is observed each year on June 12.   National Loving Day is an annual celebration that commemorates the anniversary of the 1967 United States Supreme Court decision Loving vs. Virginia.  This decision struck down all anti-miscegenation laws remaining in sixteen U.S. states citing “There can be no doubt that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the equal protection clause.”  Anti-miscegenation laws in the United States were U.S. state laws banning interracial marriage.
Childhood friends, Mildred and Richard, met when she was 11, and he was 17.  Over the years they began courting and in 1958 when she turned 18, they married in Washington.  They returned to their hometown north of Richmond and two weeks later, not realizing that interracial marriage was illegal, they were arrested.  Mildred and Richard Loving pleaded guilty and to avoid jail time; they agreed to leave Virginia.
The Loving’s moved to Washington D.C. and started legal action writing to Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy.  Kennedy referred the case on to the American Civil Liberties Union.  The Warren Court unanimously ruled in their favor, and the Loving’s returned to their Virginia home where they resided with their three children.

 Phlox in the ditches north of Sand Creek, WI

4.  Terri admits that this turned out to be not what she thought it would be.  Our country has come a long way in recognizing that people are people and our differences are what makes life beautiful, but we still have a long way to go, unfortunately.  Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that there is one race, Adam's race, and we all belong to it, whether some think they're a cut above or not. We're all living on a gracious and generous God's earth, breathing his air, and benefiting from all he has provided. ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and yet God is merciful to all who call upon his name. His mercy endures forever. He makes a great point of saying that over and over in Scripture. And how much does he love us? Enough to die for us.

Church on Pentecost Sunday
 

Each June 13 honors those who would like to cook and be in the kitchen, but it just doesn’t seem to work well for them.  After all, it is National Kitchen Klutzes of America Day.

5.  Had to lighten it up a bit.  Terri is a total klutz in the kitchen.  Tell us about something klutzy that happened in your kitchen... by you or another!  Can you laugh about it now?

P.S. (written after posting) I DO remember something that was prompted by another blogger's mixer smoking and quitting: I remember once when I was making a freezer dessert that called for whipping with my electric mixer for about 20 minutes. Right in the middle, my mixer died. And we were getting dinner guests that evening, so I didn't have time to waste. My husband put one of the beaters on the end of an electric drill and away we went!
And one more thing...

Okay, so I'll go with something that happened when I was a kid, and it's always possible that in the intervening years from the birth of this blog, back in February of 2010, I've already told you, but here it is:  I was probably 14? I was making 7 minute frosting for a cake. The recipe called for corn syrup. I couldn't find any. My ever helpful brother suggested corn OIL. It has to be the same thing, he assured me. Why did I EVER listen to him???  Well, you can probably guess what happened to my 7 minute frosting.

 My brother (that same brother) and his wife from Denver came to visit a couple days last week. As always, it was wonderful to be able to spend time with them.
The weather couldn't have been more perfect, about 75 degrees and sunny, so we rode in a CONVERTIBLE to see the lakeshore. After all,  Wisconsin does have 15,000 lakes, so it wasn't hard to find one nearby. 

 Fishermen ever present on Prairie Lake near Chetek, WI
in the summertime 

6.  Share something about your week so far, if you would.

The realtor, with whom we'll be listing our house, was out here on Tuesday afternoon. Do you remember the discussion as to whether or not we should remove the map wall between the kitchen and the living room?

 This photo was taken back when we had dog dishes on the floor and dog gates between the kitchen and living room.
And now I can start packing all my Emma Bridgewater and other England mugs! 

 Oh Audrey, it's you!!

Realtor says: Wall stays. Map and mug rack go.


That's a good thing because the mug rack was going to go with me anyway.
And the 1915 Home Comfort wood burning range is going with us also. The realtor said it would be a good idea to get it out of the house before any prospective buyer sees it, because if they want it, they might get their heart set on it. (Right! Keep your heart off my stove!!!). :-)) 

His biggest recommendations: paint everything a pale neutral color, have all hardware match, put in bright lights in all the light fixtures. We can do that.

And the project continues....

HomemadeSoapnSuch.Etsy.com
and
HomemadeSoapnSuch.com
are closed temporarily for this moving project. 
Do you ever have an itch that's just REALLY HARD TO REACH??
Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!
Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning


Judy

28 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Wonderful photos. Good luck to Tommy and Snokey, I hope they love their new home. They are cute kitties, adorable photos. Wishing you a happy day!

Marcia said...

Nice to read that Tommy and Smokey have a new home. It will take time but they will give her their hearts.

Lori said...

Hi Judy! I love your pictures!
I am so happy you found Elizabeth for your kitties! She sounds great! Thank-you for the update. I know it sets your mind at ease. Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so glad you found a good home for your precious kitties! One thing you don't need to worry about now! You have lots to do to get ready for the big move! Love all the smiling and loving days. I smile a lot too! I'm known for it....lol! Hugs!

MadSnapper said...

the only place that itches on my back is the one i can't reach.. love that little cow. my heart is so happy for your sweet kitties and she looks like she is perfect. i don't do instagram, so if you get something i would love send it to me or post it here. i do love happily ever after stories... i hope that map is not glued down. how hard will it be to remvoe it? yay for taking that wonderful stove. ha ha on the brother and the oil... my dad was pastor of a small church in DeWitt KY, when i was about 10 or 11. we went home after church to eat sunday dinner. the 12 year old girl had baked daddy a cake. when we ate the first bite, it was a little off. she had used corn meal, not flour.... she never lived that one down. i was feeling a little off about having a loving day, then i read what it meant. wow, i never new this story.. thanks for sharing that

Susie said...

Judy, I love all your photos. It was so nice to know that your sweet cats are with someone kind and loving. What a sweet girl she is too. I am happy for them all. Blessings and hugs to you too Judy. xoxo, Susie

Empty Nester said...

I don't envy you having to get the house ready to show. If I had to do all that I might as well stay where I am and enjoy the less cluttered, freshly painted look. LOL I have to admit I teared up reading about the kitties even though I know Elizabeth will love them dearly. I think I'm going to have to request to follow her. :)

Vee said...

💕Smokey and Tommy love... Elizabeth certainly does not look like an ax murderer or anything like that at all. She looks like a love and I hope that Smokey and Tommy warm to her nicely. I can not even imagine what this means to you on all sides...giving them up...having God find the right person to take them... Someday your grands are going to know how much you love them for sure. Where’s my tissue?

So the stove goes and the map and mug rack goes...good deal! The new owners can come up with their own wall covering...a very pedestrian one by comparison I am sure.

Your brother was blessed to have you welcome him. I see that you have not forgotten the incident, but that surely you have forgiven him. ☺️
I could have done well with that question as I have documented many flops in my kitchen.

Nonnie said...

So happy for you and Elizabeth and the kitties for the win-win outcome of this. You are a girl after my own heart on those sunsets and other answers today. Smiling? Check. One race? Check. All your photos are always beautiful, but today, the swing and the snowball bush bring back so many sweet memories of my Dad and my Granny. Blessings to you throughout the ordeal of getting the house ready. I think I would move in "as is." Corn oil!!!! lol!!!

Stacy said...

I would love the map wall! I like when a home has individuality and character. So happy for you that the kitties found a good next home. It has to be such a comfort to have found such a nice person to take them. By the way, was that a snowball bush in the one photo? If so, it is beautiful! I haven't seen one since we sold my grandparents' home. Blessings on the rest of your week!

NanaDiana said...

My heart hurts for you and losing your kitties- even though I know they went to a great home. Elizabeth just looks like a happy person, too!
That first photo with the light play on the barns is lovely.
Good luck on getting the house listed. A good realtor can bring you extra $$ by suggesting things to make your home more appealing to buyers. We are in a seller's market here right now with things selling as soon as they hit the market. Hope it is the same there.
Have a wonderful night- xoDiana

Terri D said...

I am so very happy that Smokey and Tommy got a great new home and that you will be in touch with her and can see them now and then. She looks like she will be a great mom to them. Thanks for joining the Medley today, which really was a medley!

Chatty Crone said...

Judy, Judy, Judy - this has got to be hard for you - to give you your precious cats to Elizabeth - but she looks like a very sweet girl. You had to do it for your grandchildren - great sacrifices we make for them with love.
I can't imagine oil instead of corn oil - yuck!
And now you are getting your house ready to sell for your new life!
sandie

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Life is changing for both of you and firstly the cats are gone but wonderfully to a very good and loving home. Now the next move will be you.

Creations By Cindy said...

Awe...what a sweet post about your kitties. So glad they have a good home. Not trying to change the subject but I do love your hair cut! Very stylish and looks great on you. Speaking of smiling...I smile lots. Once I was actually described as the short little woman with short blondish hair that smiles a lot in our ladies Bible Study. LOL! I really liked the little woman part you know!!!! A smile is the same in any language. I hope that you have a wonderful day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, so glad they're settled. I feel really good about Tommy and Smokey's new person. Unfortunately, I can't follow Elizabeth as I am not on either Facebook or Instagram. Is she on Pinterest or Twitter by any chance?

Anonymous said...

Awww. She looks perfect for Tommy and Smokey.

I love your map, but I understand it should go. But for the love of all things not trendy, if you paint, don't paint it gray! If I see anymore gray in home decor, I think I'm going to vomit. ;)

Mevely317 said...

Well, darn. I LOVE your map wall and mug rack! SO happy for Tommy and Smokey. I've never owned a cat (or been owned by one), but I'd feel the same way if I were compelled to re-home my little dogs. Love hurts sometimes, doesn't it?

Wendy said...

I'm so glad you've got those adorable kitties settled and can not concentrate on your move. I'm sure it's all a bit daunting.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I am so happy that you found a good home for the cats and even better that you can see them on Instagram! I am sure they will settle in within time. :)

Barbara said...

I have several comments to make:

1) forgive me, but I'm behind in my blog reading and I did not know you are planning to move. May it go well for you.
2) the cat pictures are adorable; I'm so glad you found a wonderful new home for them
3) I hope you will eventually have a wonderful place to once again display the mugs with that marvelous map!!!
4) I love your words, "We're all living on a gracious and generous God's earth, breathing his air, and benefiting from all he has provided." We must never take for granted all that our Lord has done for us, especially our salvation, but also the simpler things like heartbeats and lungs to breathe.

Mrs.T said...

Oh, I love, love, love that first barn photo! The light -- amazing, as are your photography skills.

So happy that things worked out with Tommy and Smokey's new mom. What an answer to prayer!

And your answer to #4 -- it is the best one I have read, far better than my own. Well said!

Robin said...

I think of Bonnie often, such a wonderful person. We are blessed to have known her. So happy when we get an occasional email from Tom.

Lynne said...

I know I should be commenting about everything you included in this post BUT
Tommy and Smokey will take Star Stage for one more time.

Their “new person” looks and sounds wonderful. I am sure T& S will be less tense in good time.
I went on Instagram requesting to follow the “new momma,” but haven’t heard back,
I will check again after I write this.

Imagining you are feeling “the change.”
Such treasures those two have been for you and for us!
Sending my love and warm blessings to you Judy,
for the many changes happening in your life.
Be well my friend.
love
lynne

podso said...

It's so nice to see the conclusion of your chapter of the Tommy and Smokey story! What a wonderful provision in Elizabeth!
I hate to see that map go but maybe you can find a large spot for it in your new house?
Trust all the prep work for the sale goes well and the house sells just in the time frame you are hoping!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Hi, Judy! Though I didn't find a new post this visit, I was very happy to have another look at Tommy and Smokey! Hope you are doing well. I can't imagine making all the changes you are making this year!

Celina Jeff said...


My friend convinced me and i had no choice than to follow my friend advice,because i never dreamed of loosing my lovely Husband. And i contacted_________Robinson.buckler@ { yahoo }. com, and i discussed with him all my problems and worries and so surprisingly,he told me that I’ll get my husband back a day after. I didn’t believed Him, until when i got home,the next day,my husband called me to inform me that he is coming back home…..So Amazing!! That’s how i got my back through spell casting and our relationship was stronger than ever. One of the price i was asked to pay was to tell it to the people around me that problems like this,can always be solved by Robinson Buckler So! my advice to you out there is to visit this same E-mail address,and tell him your problems too,if you are in any condition related to love issue or getting your ex back or and problem at all, pls Contact him and have a happy life

Debby Ray said...

So I just answered my own question...I missed this most informative post of yours! Loved seeing the photos of Tommy and Smokey with their new mommy...she looks as though she has loved them all their lives. I know you miss them too but at least you have a peace about them (at least you seem to). There were so many wonderful photos in this post!

P.S. There is a comment right above this one on your blog. Looks like you might want to check it out....looks like spam...and not the kind in a can. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails