Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Hodpodging The Wasps' Nest

Our entire crop of McIntosh apples
One measly apple from our poor tree.


Join Joyce and the gang

for


She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog
and link up!


1. What's on your September calendar? Anything fun?  YES, we're going to Westby for a weekend. I always love that little trek to the unglaciated (why is spellcheck questioning this??) and beautiful part of Wisconsin.

Photo from September 2014
We're much older this year.

 Country church cemetery
Near Westby, WI
 
2. You might be described as a natural born _____________________?  Problem solver. I've wasted a lot of time and annoyed a lot of people  - people who come to me with a problem but who, unbeknownst to me at the time, had no desire to have their problem actually solved. I think I have a callous on my scalp for the number of times I've scratched my head over that one. At least I've finally learned a thing or two, and don't always try to find the best and quickest solution to a problem or the shortest point between A and B. Many times, I've learned, people don't want the shortest route. They want the long, circuitous route that has no end in sight. It's been a foreign concept to me that has taken a long time to learn.

Basil for Pesto

BASIL PESTO RECIPE:
4 cups (packed) fresh basil
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (Pine nuts are expensive
and have a disturbing 'pop' when you bite into them. Makes me think of woodticks.)
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic
3 T. Extra virgin olive oil
Pulse in food processor
I made a double batch of this and put it in 1/2 cup containers and froze it. It's so nice to have those little containers in the freezer that I can pull out in a morning and use at dinner that night.

3. September is National Courtesy Month...what one act of courtesy would you most like to see more of in your home, town, or the world at large?  

Let someone else go first. Think of all the car accidents that might be prevented, the people who would be made happier, if we all just let the other person go first. (Of course, you literalists out there, I do realize that if we ALL did that, no one would ever get anywhere! Just bear with me.) Whether it's related to traffic or the line at the supermarket, it could make a huge difference in people's overall health and well being.

4. Eager beaver, chicken out, clam up, or let the cat out of the bag...of the phrases listed, which one have you related to most recently? 

Eager beaver might describe me in the morning, from about 7:15 or earlier (after that morning coffee has kicked in) until about 4:00 in the afternoon. I can get a lot done in a short amount of time. After that, it's a slow slide into evening with little-to-no energy or desire to go out after dark (and did you notice how early darkness arrives now??)   

 Picking beans is an every-other-day activity
with a cannerful after the second picking

 It doesn't pay to use leftover unused lids from last year.
Each batch has left me with one jar that doesn't seal.
I'm using 2015 lids now.

NEWS FLASH!!!
At least one jar didn't seal even with the new 2015 lids.
So it's not the process or the date of the lids,
but the fact that lids aren't made as well anymore.
I think there's less gummy stuff on them. Annoying!

5. What's your movie theatre snack protocol? Do you chow down on snacks during the previews or wait until the movie begins? Do you buy snacks or refuse to pay those kind of prices? What's the last movie you saw in a theatre? How many thumbs up would you give it?

I hate to watch previews, so I like to time it to arrive when the previews are done. That way I not only avoid movie trailers designed for 15 year old boys, but my kid pack of popcorn and Mike'n'Ike isn't already gone before the movie starts.  We prefer, however, to watch something in our collection of DVDs rather than go out to the movies. Also, Mr. C. makes better popcorn. The last movie we went to see was The Hobbit. We took two of our granddaughters to see it in 3D. It was incredibly boring and I found it especially annoying that the one redeeming feature, Mr. Thornton (North & South), kept looking UP, as though he were a dwarf or something.

No thumbs up.  North & South, on the other hand, (not to be confused with North and South) - two thumbs up! 


6. Henry Ford is quoted as saying, "Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind." Agree or disagree? Why?

This is a really tricky question. It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'work' is. Being busy is no guarantee that the mind is engaged. Work can involve physical labor or reading and thinking.  I can't picture C.S. Lewis working in an assembly line at a Ford plant, throwing hay bales around, or working out at the gym, but he was certainly not idle.

And actually, I can spend a lot of time thinking about that question. I need to move on. 

 Mr. C. found a wasp nest in the flowering crab.
It's at head height. It's a wonder that no one ran into it!


 If you look hard, you can see a few of the
angry wasps 
Makes me think of an old Poirot: The Wasps' Nest

7. What's the last job you completed or task you performed where you had to 'work like a dog' until it was finished?

Cleaning up after spending the day canning, so that I can wake up the next morning to a clean kitchen. It's not exactly 'working like a dog,' but then my dogs just lie around all day, so...

 Jazzie, workin' like a dog
8.  Insert your own random thought here.

In the past month, we celebrated 5 family birthdays!  Here are a few pics from the last two:

 Just turned two!

5 year old minion

Five years old - hard to believe!


Not the birthday boy,
but his little sister


This post is linked to Theresa's


and Eileen's


and Judith's

MOSAIC MONDAY


***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, get 1 FREE

'Frosted Apple Spice'

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop 


Have a great Wednesday, everyone!
 


Photobucket

58 comments:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Awesome pictures. The measly apple looked delish. I love McIntosh apples. Sorry you did not get more. Our big birthday month is April.

Anita Johnson said...

I say this each time, but I like the format of these posts...fun to learn something about you. This line made me smile...". After that, it's a slow slide into evening ". I like the thought of that. Have a good day!

Carla from The River said...

We have you beat with our apple tree, we have 5 apples. ;-)
Sadly, our other apple tree died this year. It was doing so well, in July it got sick and died.
We have four trees that are going to be cut down this November, 2 apple, 1 crab apple and our mountain ash.
Have a great day.
Carla

Tired Teacher said...

Loved this post and the photos.

I've never had good luck with old canning flats either. There is. I thing more satisfying than hearing the "ping" of sealing jars. My mother used to say, "That one made it" when she heard them. I silently counted the pings.

I thought the wasp nest I found was large. Yikes, yours is HUGE, and I'm glad no one walked into it.

Enjoy your trip.

Joyce said...

Well your single apple sure is pretty. Macs are my favorite. I'm normally the same way when it comes to getting things done. I accomplish so much before 3 PM, but after that I'm done. Yes, darkness is settling in earlier and earlier. I'm not ready for that yet!

Sandi said...

Still, that is a perfect apple!

21 Wits said...

Yummy I could take a bite out of that apple! Great captures of good times and wonderful memories being made!

Chatty Crone said...

Has anyone told you that your photos are some of the most awesome photos - wish I could eat that apple. And has anyone told you that your grands are so precious and sweet and cute? And lastly - your answer to number two - you and I are kindred spirits in that answer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy do I get that.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

You've been one busy beaver, Judy. Nice photos of you and your family. I too love the "slow slide into evening" ---Such a great line! ♥

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Your family is beautiful Judy. Not a bad apple either. Sounds like you've been very busy. Enjoy your week!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Oh that wasps nest is huge! Funny thing, we have one in our tree out front too..... Thankfully it is high enough up that none of the wasps have bothered anyone. We are waiting for the first frost to get rid of it.

I have two apples on my little tree! Very exciting! I am trying to decide if they are ripe yet or not..... Hopefully next year will be a better year.

Debby Ray said...

Oh my goodness, I have never seen a wasp nest so HUGE! It just amazes me how they create such a work of art...it really is beautiful! It looks as though you have been quite busy...I just love to see home canned goodies! Hope you are having a great Wednesday, Judy :)

Oliva Ohlson said...

You are one wise woman! I love your outlook in life!!! Are you and your hubby sharing the one measly apple?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Have a nice time. I have never heard about the area but I Googled it and read about it. Very interesting. I'm so impressed with you canning. I try to miss most of the coming attractions too. Love the pictures of the family celebrations.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I loved reading this post this evening and seeing all the photographs interstersed between each question. Now I have leaarned a bit more about you and yourr family. Hopeno one got stungwith a Wasp?

Joanne Noragon said...

Happy, happy children. I am still working like a dog to end my computer problems!

Paige McDaniel said...

Oh, my goodness -- I've never seen anything like that wasps nest. I hope I don't have a nightmare about it tonight! Hope you have a great week!

Linda Kay said...

Judy, such a wonderful post. I loved your collages and all the pictures, and the color in those vegetables is wonderful! I remember my mother telling me that you can't use last year's lids, only the rings.

TexWisGirl said...

such cute pics. the green beans look yummy! enjoy westby!

A Joyful Chaos said...

Wow! That is a big wasp nest!

Stephanie said...

Hello lovely lady! My, what a big wasp nest! It looks like something that would been in a horror film :) Your posts are always lovely and your family is simply precious.

Enjoy the remainder of your week. Hugs!

Terri D said...

Oh my, seeing that wasp nest just sent me into the shakes! I'm allergic to wasp venom and that huge thing would scare me into the next county!! Now it's all I can think about!! Joyce gave us another great Hodgepodge though and I enjoyed your answers and photos (except that one!).

Deb said...

This is always a fun post to read. Love all the family photos. How is that little guy 5 already? He's so adorable. Thanks for the basil recipe as I have lots and wasn't sure what to do with it. Your dogs sound as 'busy' as our Kane. Can you hear him snoring? Hugs, Deb

Denise said...

enjoyed this post.

Judy S. said...

Wow, that is a huge wasp nest! Hope nobody got stung. Our August is always full of celebrations, too, including our 50th a couple weeks ago.

Cheryl said...

Oh my!! Yes, it is a mercy that no one walked into that huge wasps' nest. No good could come of that.

You certainly have been as "busy as a beaver" with all of your gardening and canning and birthday celebrating! (August is a big birthday/anniversary month for our family too.) I can relate to the "slow slide into evening" as well as the reluctance to go out after dark. And I am content with that!

Lynne said...

Loved the 2014 photos and the "older this year" mention . . .
I enjoy your answers to the questions . . . And I think the
"Let Someone Else Go First." is the best ever . . .
Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing . . . if we would just think about it!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love the cute photos of you and your family . I agree with your NO.3 drivers could be more patient and less in a rush! Your trek sounds great, have fun! Enjoy your day!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Judy, love this post and enjoyed reading your answers. I too agree when driving to let others go first. I do this and find I still get where I'm going in plenty enough time. It's just a simply thing really. Great pics of family!! Enjoy your trip. Happy September.
cm

magnoliasntea said...

We had a similar harvest from our lone pear tree, but your apple is prettier. I agree with H. Ford, idleness is a killer.
Darlin' birthday girl!
Have a great Thursday!

podso said...

That is one gorgeous apple. If only one, at least it's beautiful.
Enjoyed your hodge podge today and hope you have a fun weekend!

Tanya Breese said...

apple season! we don't have any trees of our own but there is a apple farm nearby where we can pick some! happy birthday to the birthday kids!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

That is a very large wasp nest!! We are not quite at Apple season yet...but I am eagerly looking forward to it.

EG CameraGirl said...

EW! That wasps' nest is really scary!! Sorry you have only one apple. We have so many our two trees are weighed down so that I have trouble mowing around them. Our crop last year was more like yours so I suspect you;ll have a bumper crop in 2016. I love the photos of your birthday boy and little sister.

Anonymous said...

Nice shots! Shame about your apple crop.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Congrats to you and all the grandchildren!
~

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Ooh the pictures of the foodie items are wonderful and make me hungry! Your grandchildren are so cute! Your apple crop sounds like my Endless Summer Hydrangeas- only two blooms this year. Late frosts I guess nipped them! We had a wasp nest last year hanging rather low on a branch and couldn't believe we hadn't noticed it sooner. Dan took it down as it appeared to be abandoned. It's really interesting to see the inside. I like the fence at the cemetery.

Ida said...

Well that's a bummer about your apple crop.
Your cemetery fence is really nice, they make them sturdy around cemeteries. I wonder if they think the dead will try to escape!
#3 - I so agree. I hate it when I'm trying to back out at the grocery store and someone is coming in and just buzzes right by and expects me to pull back into the space so they can get by.
#5 I sneak snacks in because that's where the Theater makes their money by chargin an arm and a leg for the concession foods.
#7 - Loved your (dog tired) shot.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Just love all the photos! So picturesque in our beautiful State, isn't it?

I love pesto!! I may need to copy your recipe and make my own. Yum!!

That wasp next looks scary huge! My hubby is allergic so I would be very unhappy if I saw that and would be removing it pronto. ;)

Sweet birthday Pumpkins. Such a beautiful family Judy. Doesn't time fly too fast? ::sigh::
Blessings to you xoxo

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

I love your pictures. Your gardens are so beautiful. Glad I found your blog.

Hugs from Oklahoma,

Valerie
Cottage Making Mommy

Debbie said...

awwwww that's so sad about your apple tree. i wrote down the pesto recipe, i have a lot of basil!! thanks!!!!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I always your answers. You are sooooo sensible! Not to mention funny.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I always your answers. You are sooooo sensible! Not to mention funny.

Rose said...

As always, interesting to read.

Hannah said...

We had a wasp nest like that over our front door, I could get up on a ladder inside and look at them through the glass window. I try to leave them alone if they don't bother us, they are such good predators. I am a natural born naturalist. I love plants and the outdoors. I'm picking lots of beans too, but I haven't gotten into canning, I freeze stuff, which makes us dependent on electricity. You do sound like a busy beaver! I have a lot of flowering ground covers, especially comfrey, which bloom early in spring and feed the bees, plus I let my kale and collards stay in the ground over winter, and they make late-winter greens and flower buds I can eat and and then make lots of flowers the bees love in early spring. That helps keep the bees happy to stay here and pollinate my fruit. I got great plum crops, usual apples, but not many pears. Sometimes it is raining when the trees are blooming, so not much fruit set.

Lowcarb team member said...

Great post to read and some lovely photo's too.
That apple looks a fabulous colour, sorry it's only one.

Have a lovely weekend.

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That was a fun and thoughtful read! I enjoyed it. That's a pretty Apple, hope next years crop is better. Canning is hard work ... As I remember ( have been out of that business for many years now).

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Really enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge! Adorable photos of the kiddies!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Judy, just stopping back to say thank you so much for linking up your cute Jazzie and post. Have a happy weekend!

Mary said...

My dad & I put up some pickles this summer, and some of the lids didn't pop. they just don't make some things like they used to!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

"Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind." Agree or disagree? Why? I agree. Why? Because I think that our brains have to be active in order to maintain a certain stability and a need to be inquisitive. As Hercule Poirot would have suggested. . ."the little gray cells" are nourished by their use. Have a wonderful day! This is a grand post!

Joyful said...

Lovely photos. Enjoy your trip and thank you for visiting my blog :-)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A shame about the apples and although that is a huge wasp's nest, they are a thing of beauty. Think of all the work and trips it took to construct it. Often they're not seen until the leaves fall from the trees and no one is the wiser. :-)
Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Judy, have a great trip.

Donna said...

Lots going on there...sad only one apple from your tree but your other harvest is quite huge...we are picking beans daily too!

Lorrie said...

Your one apple is a beauty, well worth photographing. That wasp's nest is huge! I do love the shape of them, although the inhabitants are not welcome at any time.

Lorrie said...

Your one apple is a beauty, well worth photographing. That wasp's nest is huge! I do love the shape of them, although the inhabitants are not welcome at any time.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

happy birthday to all/ ONLY ONE APPLE :( scary about the wasps nest and basically I just love these posts..you have a nice variety but for the most part you have me laughing through most of them! :)

Tomoko said...

Hello,from Japan!
Wow, so many photos of your harvest and family. They are so pretty and make me smile. Happy birthday to your grandson. He is adorable and his sister too!! I especially love the fifth photo of the basket with many beans in it.
Happy days!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails