Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Hodgepodging Summer's End


Birthday Boy
Little grandson, looking slightly lost
at his birthday party on Sunday afternoon.
His parents put on a spectacular party.


Join Joyce and the Gang
for
She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!

1. It's National Waffle Day (August 24th)...what decision are you currently 'waffling over'? (or share one you've recently 'waffled over')
I rarely waffle. And mostly on things like: Should I use a filter on this photo or not? or One crutch or two?


2. It's the middle of August, but I'm already seeing lots of autumn-related posts. Do you think we rush the seasons? If so, does that bother you? I saw (here) an end of summer bucket list that included-

It seems to me that the school year beginning in August is responsible for rushing us into fall. I don't like seeing Christmas decorations and goods in the stores so far ahead of the holiday, or Valentines rushed onto store shelves the day after the Christmas sales. The only season that should be rushed is winter, if we could somehow confine it to three months instead of five.

As for the second part of the question, I don't like S'mores, I'll read a book at home on the porch, I won't be attending the state fair, I'd rather eat something bad for me that I've made myself, and actually I see that none of the others apply to me this year either. I'm not doing too well, am I. I think I'm starting to sound like a cranky introvert. Oh, that's right...

make s'mores, read a new (or favorite) book in the park, eat something delicious and bad for you at a state fair, be a tourist for the day, have a pot luck picnic, book a last minute summer getaway, relax by or in the pool, take a hike to watch the sunset, have a day on the lake, try a new summer recipe

Which activities on the list might you squeeze in before summer officially comes to a close?
So I won't be doing any of those things, but I will soon be tracking my husband and son on their England getaway. That's exciting even to me, who will not be going along, but will be here with my granddaughter - a real treat for me. We'll have a week of baking, photo excursions, soapmaking, reading, journaling, etc..
I'm looking forward to her visit!



3. Your favorite summertime 'art' found in nature?

Clouds and blue summer skies. If you're following me on Instagram, you'll have noticed that I can't seem to stop posting photos of the clouds I've been seeing from our front porch. They look a lot better in real life and on Instagram. And yes, some of these should look familiar. I hope to be getting out and about to get new photos - soon.

4. Stephen R. Covey is quoted as saying 'We judge ourselves by our intentions, and others by their actions.' Agree or no? Do you define yourself based on your intentions, your actions, or something else? 
Oh, I think that's totally true!  Trying not to do that is something I work on and pray about almost every day. I hate a self-righteous attitude from anyone, especially myself. 


5. Are you useful in a crisis? Elaborate. 
This is a really tough question. I think I'm good in a crisis, but I suspect we all are when the responsibility is ours alone. In the case of an accident, if someone else competent and trained is there who wants to take charge, I would definitely prefer to take orders. The example I can think of is if I came upon a farmer with their arm caught in the corn picker (doesn't happen often anymore, thank goodness.) But think about it. Isn't that a horrid situation??! I realize that accidents happen all the time, but at least we now have cell phones to call for help if we're first on the scene. Shudder.



6. What's been your go-to dish this summer? Is it something you'll continue making as the seasons change?
Salad. Lots of salad, which means a combination of lettuces or cabbabbages and tomatoes, peppers, any other fresh garden vegetables, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, shredded Dubliner cheese, and a drizzle of dressing. I'll make it year around. A couple nights ago I made chicken strips and hot apricot/mustard dip. Whoa, was that good!  Check out this OLD blog post with the recipe.

August 2015 garden collage
This year we have tomatoes and peppers and peas - That's all.

7. Adult coloring books are a thing now. Have you jumped on the bandwagon? If not is this something you think you might enjoy?

I've heard that people find coloring to be relaxing. I can't imagine it being relaxing to me, unless I were coloring with one of the grands. I think I'd prefer to try watercolor or fancy types of lettering (from someone whose penmanship is barely legible these days, but then I do suffer from years of typing.)

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

 Littlest granddaughter on top of 'The Big Hill,'
aka the top of our alfalfa field.
Do you think she's watched The Sound of Music  ?



***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 
Frosted Apple Spice
Pumpkin Spice


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning


Judy

45 comments:

camp and cottage living said...

Yes, I could see your little G'Daughter going into a swirl anytime now and belting out 'the sound of music'. Have a great time with your other G'Daughter. It sounds like fun!

MadSnapper said...

all three of your grand kids are just beautiful, the little one that had a birthday makes me jealous of his skin, so perfect and pretty. make that handsome skin.
love ALL the photos today especially the one with the wrong way sign. have fun with your granddaughter while the cat is away. ha ha.
I don't like Smores either and I am a sugar addict. makes no sense. I have always been good in crisis, I went through many with my two sons, we went to ER so many times they knew my name when I walked to the window.. these days they would accuse me of child abuse. when the blood is flowing I am really good but when it is over I cry like crazy. I am also bossy and a control freak, a take charge person, which is sometimes a problem.

Joyce said...

Your grands are awfully cute : ) I'm slightly obessed with the summer sky too. Have a great day!

Arlene G said...

Your little grandson is just so precious Judy!! Give him a birthday hug from me. And what a trip for your granddaughter. I am sorry you cannot go along but you keep taking care of that hip! I have fall decor on my blog today...my aunt's not my own. She has her things in storage so whenever a grandson can come help her, she gets busy!! Like, you, I am a cloud lover....they are so amazing and so beautiful.

Dicky Bird said...

I agree with the winter statement! Enjoy your grandchildren - I need to journal more.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Hello Hodgepodge Sister... That first picture of the birthday boy is precious. How great that you will have some extra quality time with the grandkids. Who needs England when you have adorable grandkids to play with. Have a great week!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Don't the precious grandkids have the sweetest expressions on their faces...happy and well...happy! Have a good day sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Clouds and grandchildren are hard to beat and not necessarily in that order. Your photos always inspire me to get outside with my camera, but this hot, southern, humid weather drives me right back inside. I am looking forward to taking some pictures on our upcoming trip to the Smoky Mountains though. Have a beautiful weekend.

A Joyful Chaos said...

I always enjoy seeing all your pictures. So tranquil.

Blessings~

Nonnie said...

Your photos!!! Stunning! The grandchildren and the clouds are beautiful. I did notice in that first pic of the barn, I think it is a roll of hay on the left by the barn, but it almost looks like a big brown bear peering into the side of the barn. You also have very good wisdom in your answers. That is one of my favorite things about reading everyone's answers in Hodgepodge - so much wisdom in many of of the answers.

21 Wits said...

Happy Birthday to such a sweet little one! All your summer photos are just more reasons why, how did it get so late already! I so want to have a long and lovely fall.

Chatty Crone said...

As usual - I LOVE your photography. Andy wants to take a class in it. Also happy birthday to your grandson - little cuties. Love the clouds and I bet you are great in an emergency. And lastly you have a beautiful granddaughter too!

Carla from The River said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Oliver. What a cutie!!
I am so happy your granddaughter will be staying with you.
Love, Love, Love that photo of Lucy.
xx oo
Carla

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOL I love The Sound of Music photo!!

All your sky shots and other photos are lovely...I find myself often running out to try to capture the clouds as well and it is true...the camera does not do justice to the glory that I see before my eyes.

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I'm with ya' on those garden fresh summer salads. I'm going to miss them!
I'm a cloud watcher, too. I love your picture.
Kathy (Reflections)

Tired Teacher said...

Impressive cloud formations - I love to watch clouds, but in recent years the summer skies have been filled with smoke - no visible clouds.

Enjoy the time with your granddaughter.

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful photo's of the little ones ...

Enjoy these last days of August

All the best Jan

Susie said...

Judy, Don't we love those grandkids?? Yours are so cute. I loved all your wonderful pictures. Have a great time with your granddaughter. Hope you get to enjoy the last days of summer. My daughter's town is having their festival this coming weekend, it's called "End of Summer Days" fest. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Theresa said...

Ha, a cranky introvert, I sure feel that way sometimes. Those skies are so beautiful, especially the one with the puffy white cloud that looks like it touches the ground. Have a great week with your granddaughter, sounds like a ton of fun!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

All of your grands are adorable, Judy. I imagine you are going to have fun with your granddaughter while Mr. C is in England--the lucky chap. Here's hoping you share some of his photos! All of the scenery around your home is lovely. I especially like the clouds! They are lovely. I imagine you are progressing with your PT and will be walking soon like a pro. ♥

Terri D said...

You will have so much fun with your granddaughter! I have a feeling that you will be pining for England though. I love how you always insert photos in your Hodgepodge! I love seeing the beauty around you AND your beautiful grandchildren!

Stephanie said...

Your grandchildren are simply precious, my friend. You are going to have such a wonderful time with your granddaughter.

Lovely post, Judy, and your photos were a joy to view. Hugs to you!

Stacy said...

Your grandkids are absolutely adorable and the scenery where you live is incredible. I love shots of old barns and farm scenes.

TexWisGirl said...

love the skies. and the barns. and those sweet and cute grands. :)

Empty Nester said...

If it's a short winter you want, move here. Last winter, I don't think it lasted two months. It was awful. Of course, you'd miss the beauty of your area... Your grandloves are so stinkin' cute! I'd much rather stay and hang out with my granddaughter than run around England. :)

Jill said...

I love all your pictures, you have a great eye for it! Your grandchildren are just adorable!! I love clouds too... just something so fascinating about them. I remember when I was little laying out in the grass and just watching them and guessing what they looked like... a face... bird... tree.... etc :-) Great memories. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Blessings,
Jill

Lorrie said...

Beautiful grandchildren. What fun you'll have with your granddaughter. Clouds are wonderful for sparking the imagination. Great photos!

podso said...

I wonder if it's the time of year. Our clouds have been amazing. I need to get in my childhood mode and lie on the ground and really enjoy the view. So special your granddaughter will be with you while Mr. C travels. Sounds like fun things planned. Enjoyed all your answers.

Vee said...

Well hello you, COI, you! Ha!

They are going to England without you? When are you and the granddaughter going without them? (A week following those pursuits with her does sound like fun, though. More fun to me, actually, than travel because I really am a cranky, old introvert.)

As to the early return to school being the reason for early advent of the new season...I think you're onto something. Had not put that together. Do you suppose that there will ever be a return to after Labor Day first days of school? They make so much more sense in many ways.

It is never a problem to see your beautiful photography again!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are doing so well! Your photos are absolutely beautiful, especially your cloud photos. I am very fond of clouds. Hugs.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I especially like that last photo because it brought up wonderful memories of me as the little girl standing in the alfalfa field. How exciting that your husband and son are going to England! Much as I love England, right now I think I'd enjoy staying home with you and your granddaughter more!

This N That said...

Happy Birthday to your grandson...Lovely photos

genie said...

Your last picture really captured my shot. She is BEAUTIFUL and has the sweetest face. Like that first shot, too. Those bales are definitely definitely different from ours. Or, maybe the piles have not been bailed yet. genie

Summer said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your sweet little grandson ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

As always, I love your grandchildren photos! You're sure to have great fun with your lovely granddaughter while your hubby is away. Do you feel a little sad to be left behind this time? (Although a new and improved hip has got to be better than a trip to England!)

Barbara said...

Your granddaughters are beautiful girls! Such sweet faces.

That one photo you posted between questions 4 and 5 looks a lot like a Van Gogh painting!!

I do some coloring, but water colors have caught my attention and that's been relaxing while listening to good (emphasis on "good") music.

Enjoy your visit with your granddaughter!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Such lovely photos, your grandchildren are beautiful! I hope your grandson had a wonderful birthday!

Ruth Kelly said...

Those cloud photos were amazing. Loved seeing the bounty of fall produce. It was too hot for tomatoes this year, I only got two but now that it is cooling some, maybe a few more will come.

Cindy said...

I hope you have a great time with your granddaughter while others are in England!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, These are the sweetest photos of your grandchildren. I know you look forward to baking and soap-making with your older granddaughter. The clouds are really gorgeous. This is my favorite time of the year here in the South.
God bless your weekend.

Lynne said...

Happy Day a few days late Birthday Boy . . .
Sorry I am so late . . .
I can't get caught up with my own Hodge Podge . . .

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your granddaughter time! It sounds like you two will be quite busy. I know she'll treasure this time with you. I'm not a fan of S'mores, either. I liked your waffling choices. :D

~Pam~ said...

Happy September!! Love you blog!! xo

Judy S. said...

Great photos, Judy! I'm sure with you on coloring books! Didn't care for them as a kid and can't see the attraction now. Too much yarn to contend with, that's for sure. The summer went way too fast, here also. I think someone put the calendar on fast forward or something. Have a wonderful time with your granddaughter!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Hello my sweetest Judy! Just playing catch up yet - don't mind me.;)

I love seeing the pics of our beautiful state and your lovely grands. Never tire of it. I do, however, tire of winter just like you and agree with rushing that part. Lol

I think it will be so nice for you and your granddaughter to get such quality time when your boys go on their trip. I was so close to one of my Grandmas and treasure any time I got with her like that. I still miss her deeply (& that's whom my Anne - aka "Annie" is named for).

I've been a salad girl too!! Can't enough of these wonderful fresh veggies. My tomato plant is just a little cherry tomato one. But a friend of my Mom's that has a big garden gave me a gigantic cucumber and tomato the other day. Needless to say, I had the yummiest, juiciest BLT for lunch today. Yum!!! I'm going to check out your chicken strip apricot/mustard recipe too.;)

Blessings on the rest of this lovely holiday weekend. xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails