Monday, April 15, 2013

Barns of NW Wisconsin

Barn on Hwy O
SW of Cameron, WI


My granddaughter and I took a short drive the other morning, taking some photos of barns and such. This is one of my favorites, and I see it every time I drive to Rice Lake. It seems like the perfect combination of barn, silo, milk house, and 'mystery structure.'


Bale storage in the neighborhood



Fence and two bluebird houses
And yes, this photo was taken in April



Got any guesses as to what this big metal structure is used for?

This one is several times bigger than the one in the first photo!


If you're interested in Wisconsin Barns, here are a couple past barn posts you might like:



Added Tuesday:  Both of those 'mystery' structures are grain bins, used for storing dry corn or oats, etc.

***

Be sure to enter the Mother's Day GIVEAWAY
Hosted by Isabelle Thornton of Le Chateau Des Fleurs
Ends April 16th

***

'Cucumber Peel & Aloe'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at


 This post may be linked to some of the following: Le Chateau des Fleurs and  Mop it Up Monday  and Get in My Tummy and  Cure for the Common Monday and  Clever Chicks Blog Hop and  Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and    Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Creative Showcase and  Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday  and Love Bakes Good Cakes  and Overflowing With Creativity and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Wildcrafting Wednesday and   Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and Creative Things Thursday and Be Inspired and Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Friday Fences and  Thursday's Inspiration and  The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and Creative Things Thursday and   Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and Freedom Fridays and  Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and  A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday and  Market Yourself Monday and  Saturday Nite Special

35 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

what a cool place. love all the details. so neat. have a great week. ( :

Diane said...

Great photos! Really nice to see.

Yenta Mary said...

Those old barns have such character! And oh, the stories they could tell, standing tall as generation after generation tends the land, modernizes, holds down the homestead, grows up and grows away, etc. ....

Empty Nester said...

I LOVE this one! Yeah, I know. I say that about all of the barns you post about. What can I say? I love barns too. :) I'd love to venture inside this one.

podso said...

It must be nice to leave in the country and have such wonderful, peaceful scenes every day! I'm guessing the last structure is storage of some sort--grains, feed-- We have strange pyramid structures here that house salt for the roads in winter.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

i love old barns. I live near the ocean so we don't have too many barns around here...old or not. But, we do have old fishing shanties.

MadSnapper said...

I enlarged that first photo and just sat and stared at it. perfect composition. it has so many shapes in it and lines. I love the trees and the shapes. a truly fantastic foto.
maybe they keep grain in that round one, but if so what is the silo for..

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

You find some of the best places to take photos!! They always look so professional!!

RURAL said...

That's one lovely barn, and I love the shots you got of it.

Is that a Silo, my husband the cow farmer would know for sure...

LOL.

Jen

SImple and Serene Living said...

These are great photos, but I sure hope your snow is gone soon. xo Laura

Lynn Blaylock said...

Wonderful pics. I'm a sucker for barns and old buildings.

laurie said...

Your pictures are always a joy to see...they tell so many stories!

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog. I am a happy new follower.
Elle
http://bodybyzen.blogspot.com

Ruth Kelly said...

I think they use that metal round building to store grain.

Chatty Crone said...

I love the first barn and it is so unique looking. Good morning. sandie

Paulette said...

Old barns, new barns I like them all. In the next county they have maps that guide you around the Quilt Barn Trail. The barns are the canvases, and the quilts are painted on the barn. Combines both of my favorite things.

Samantha said...

It's round so it's obviously a giant pie storage unit!

Cranberry Morning said...

Ding!! Samantha got it, it's a giant pie storage unit! LOL

Actually, it is for grain (corn, oats, etc.) storage, as some of you guessed. The difference between a silo and one of these metal structures is that the silo contains silage, kinda like salad for cows. It's chopped green and blown into the silo, and is wet when taken from the silo and fed to the cows. If there's a real farmer out there who wants to correct me, feel free to do so.

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Wonderful photos. A question for you, do you pull to the side of the road to take the photos or just slow down and have the passenger take them?

If you do pull over and get out,do you have any stories about on lookers. :-)

I have been honked at, given the bird and thankfully given some smiles along the way. I always pull way over, so I am not in the way. So I never understand the ugliness!!
A lot of darkness in this world!

Wonderful photos and fun post. Thank you for the light you shine.

Carla

Terri D said...

I'll try this again! It's not letting me post my comment!

Lovely photos and I'm sure it was a lovely time with your granddaughter! I love seeing barns - big, little, new, old....and I really love to see how people turn them into homes!

Denise said...

I love barns.

Curtains in My Tree said...

I am taking a tour of the Barn Quilts of Missouri this summer can't wait

Those barnes you pictured are wonderful

Anonymous said...

i'm curious as to what the shorter one is, too. maybe a silo, also, just not as tall? i don't know.

thank you so much for joining

isn't it pathetic how journalists spend so much money to go to college, then completely throw it out the window... i don't watch mainstream secular news anymore, too bias & they turn everything that bad into good & good into bad, extremely frustrating.

Judy said...

Don't ya just love these Wisconsin barns! I have no idea about the big metal structure, but would love to know.

Tanya Breese said...

i don't know what that would be used for but i love the photos...what a nice day spent with your grand daughter!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love the barns. I love to decorate my flower gardens with old farm equipment.

Anonymous said...

Old barns are so cool. I love the shape of the first one.

Sonya @ Under the Desert Sky said...

That's a great farm! I love the photo of those big round bales.

Pamela Gordon said...

What a wonderful barn with all it's outbuildings. Great photos! Pamela

Nell at njschout said...

A great farm yard with milk house and all. The mystery structure is probably for grain. : )

Kathe said...

I have always wanted to live on a farm with a barn just like you get to see all of the time :-) Mr. B grew up on a farm and he wants nothing to do with that idea at all LOL! Thanks for sharing at the party this week Judy. I've featured this post on my Facebook page too!

Elaine said...

Love that first photo! Wonderful barn.

Mari said...

What a beautiful big barn! I grew up on a farm so had a little insider knowledge on grain bins.

Carole said...

That is a fabulous barn. Love the shape of it.

Noteworthy Musings

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I love the barns and the grain silo your photos are awesome. B

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails