Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hopping into the Hodgepodge

The little pal at my pond the other day


Join Joyce and the crew
for

                                               


1. As August draws to a close, share what's been your favorite weekend of the entire summer?

The family reunion at our home in early August.





2. Labor Day is marked in the US of A on Monday, September 1st.  What paying job have you held that you've loved the most? Liked the least?

Paying job I loved the most: clipping turkey toenails at the turkey hatchery - when I was 16 - the same summer I got my first kidney stone. The kidney stone was not a favorite part of that job, but the rest of it was pretty fun.

 allcreatures.org

Paying job I liked the least: - when I was 15 - babysitting for 3 kids the entire summer.  Long hours and extremely poor pay. I think I was told that it would build character. I don't think it worked.

Non-paying job I loved the most: Homeschooling my own kids for 21 years.

One of my favorite students

Non-paying job I liked the least:  Cleaning the refrigerator.  (Unfortunately, this still applies.)

3. Does the new school year start before or after Labor Day where you live? When do you think it should begin? There is much discussion now about older students having later start times to their school day...your thoughts?

I think that public schools in Wisconsin now start after Labor Day. They used to start about August 18. Since most kids stay up to all hours of the night anyway and don't seem to be able to get up in the morning, I suppose it's not a bad idea for them to have a late-to-late school day, as long as they're able to grow up and find late-to-late employment.  Are there no morning people these days?

4. What's something you've worked at recently that could be deemed a 'labor of love'?

Baby Oliver's baby blankie. I've located the flannel, the batting, and the satin edge. Now I just have to get to work and sew it. I wasn't in a rush because the weather's been so warm - until today. Suddenly, fall is in the air and I see myself sitting at the sewing machine in the next couple days. I don't want to be responsible for that little fella getting cold!

5.Which of the following work idioms can you most relate to right now...'A woman's work is never done.', 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.' 'Many hands make light work.'

All of them apply at different times, but right now none does. Maybe, 'All play and no work makes Jack a jerk.' That might apply to me this summer.

6. Crab or lobster or thanks, but no thanks? Favorite way to have your choice prepared?

No thanks. Beef tenderloin, please, made just the way America's Test Kitchen made it. Mmmmm. I would be happy to be a taste tester for them. (That one and Lydia's Italy are the only cooking shows I like and I rarely even catch those.)

7. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, 'Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.' Which of the three do you consider to be the most important? Share one of your own 'rules of work'.

Maybe, 'From discord find harmony.' One of my own rules? Work comes first. Only after chores are done, is it time to have fun. It was a rule at home when I was growing up. I think it's a great idea. I can't even read a book if the house is a mess. I have to have order in order to think. I have to make sure the kitchen is clean before I go to bed at night.

8.  Insert your own random thoughts here.


Tuppence drinking from the dog water bowl
This would explain why her own water bowl is never empty.

***


Check out my handcrafted, vegan soaps!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

32 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog and I have to tell you I love the way you think! Also, I'm a soapaholic. Will visit your etsy shop shortly. :-)

Joyce said...

Clipping turkey toenails? Who even knew that was a thing? : ) You learn something new every day! I think the idea behind the later start time has to do with the bodies natural rhythms at certain times of growth and development. It's kind of interesting to read about some of the studies that have been done. Enjoy your day...I hope there is a little work and a little play!

SImple and Serene Living said...

Cutting turkey toenails....hmmmm!!! I am old fashioned enough to think school should start the day after Labor Day. The kids look so hot waiting for the bus. xo Laura

Debbie said...

Wow...clipping toenails? I just can't imagine! I need to read up some on the later to school hour thing. Enjoy your day!

Susie said...

I never heard of clipping turkey toenails before. ever. I have had some tough jobs. Some scary jobs. But your job was new to me. LOL. xoxo,Susie

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Clipping turkey toenails? I've never heard of that but I bet it was fun.

Gage's water bowl is always full. He prefers the toilet in our bedroom. Lol!

Primitive Stars said...

I agree cutting Turkey toenails?? Lovely post, Blessings Francine.

Arlene G said...

I love these kinds of blogs where we get to see the real blogger! I remember a long time ago everyone did the simple woman's daybook meme. I always enjoyed reading those and I may just do one on my blog soon!! Thanks for sharing.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Clipping turkey toenails at the turkey hatchery has to be the most unique job I've ever heard of :)

Noelle the dreamer said...

Love this post Judy! It was like reading a periodical article and discovering a whole new world!
Glad we 'connected'!
A nip in the air this morning, Autumn is on its way I think...
P.S. The grankiddies' faces says it all: We are loved!!

Cheryl said...

You have definitely gotten everyone's attention with the turkey toenail trimming job! And it was your favorite! :D I can relate to your favorite non-paying job...it's the best!

Your own work idiom kind of applies to me right now too. Well, maybe not "all play", but I think the balance has tipped more toward the playing end for me this summer.

Our cat rarely drinks out of her own bowl. Usually it's the bath tub (yes, we turn the water on for her) or the bathroom sink (ditto) or the outside cat's water bowl. When she does drink out of her own bowl, she must stick her paw in it and move the bowl to another spot. Quirky, that cat. (Aren't they all?)

TexWisGirl said...

cute tuppence. :) yeah, the turkey toenail was an interesting one! :)

MadSnapper said...

nuber 6 is most important, burger or pizza every time.
why is it we all hate cleaning that fridge.
my favorite paid job was CNA in Dialysis unit at the hospital and dressing the mannequins at Sears. i worked both those at the same time, 2 jobs to make ends meet.
least fav paid was Sears paint and hardware. YUCK..

Diane said...

Neat frog-- do you know what type it is? My old cat rarely drank from his own dish too. What is it with cats? Anything to be contrary??

Linda Kay said...

Loved reading your responses and the pictures. Congrats on the home schooling...I could not have done it.

Nikki said...

Turkey toenails? I wonder if i was supposed to trim my chickens toenails! Although that is something you have to be careful with, especially with a cat or dog. I usually take my dog in to get his trimmed.
cute kitty! My cat used to have her own water glass next to my bed. She was obsessed with my water cup one day and started drinking from it, so i just let her have her own!

Eileen H said...

Interesting read. Not sure I could clip turkey toenails!
Tuppence is a clever puss :)

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

What a beautiful and interesting post. Especially loved the lawn mower ride and the little girl with the horse! My worse job was spinning yarn from raw wool on the night shift in a mill near my home-- was going to night school and reported for work at 11:00 PM. Otherwise I've enjoyed every job I ever had, and there were many, starting over 70 years ago!

Vee said...

Now that's a job I had never even thought of! It's a rotten thing we do to ourselves when we feel guilty for reading if everything isn't done because everythingwill never be done. Good to know that cooler days are on the way. They are the ones I like best.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well that is definitely a job I never hears of clipping those toenails! Why is it that the water in a bowl that is not theirs is always the best?

Debby Ray said...

Fun hodgepodge answers, Judy! I especially like the job you had when you clipped turkey toenails! Now, that is really something to have on your resume! I have always thought it was sad when the started shortening the kid's summers. After Labor Day seems to be the time to start back! Just in case you missed my little emergency post earlier this afternoon, I apologize for any spam that may have come your way via my email account...I was HACKED! It has been fixed but I am so sorry folks were getting junk from me.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Judy, the turkey toenails were a hoot! Love it!

How are you? I am back in the world of blogging after being MIA for a bit. A long bit, but still back. ;p

I enjoyed reading your answers. I need to try this with y'all at some point. It has always looked like a fun Meme.

Sending love your way from sunny Florida! Yep, I posted a summer tablescape that it supposed to signal the end of summer, but we have it pretty much year round!

XO,

Sheila

Empty Nester said...

I'm the same way---I have to get all my work done before doing anything else. I just can't focus if I have chores facing me. I had to click on the family reunion link first and LOVED that post! We're still facing 90 degree weather and I am OVER it.

tlcukjourney said...

I have tried several times over the last couple of weeks to post comments on your blog through bloglovin and I can't seem to do it! I never have a problem with other sites so I wonder if I have something set wrong? In order to comment I have to come directly to your page... so be it!! I will just have to do it that way! I love this little write up! I didn't know you home schooled! What a woman you are, you deserve a metal! I know that's hard work, I honestly love working with children and I love my daily job of going to a school, but I know that homeschooling families have to be dedicated and have to be motivated! Also... the turkey toe clipping nail thing?? LOL... too funny!! Much love to you Judy, have a great Labor Day weekend!! Tammy xx

Terri D said...

I can't go to bed with a dirty kitchen, either. I've never been able to let dirty dishes pile up. I clean as I go, always.

You clipped turkey toenails? I didn't even know that was something that had to be done. I trim cat toenails, though, so why not turkeys?! LOL

I enjoyed your Hodgepodge, Judy!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How interesting! It seems we are all stuck on the turkey part of your post! haha! Enjoy your evening my friend! Sweet hugs! (I'm going to write to Karen and tell her how much I love your soaps!)

RURAL said...

Tuppence is gorgeous...and that's probably why she can sneak water out of the dogs dish.

Here in Canada the school starts the first week of September...but due to the labor disputes, who knows now.

Jen

Debbie said...

Fun thoughts, I have had so many fun weekends but family reunions are always best!!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Loved your little frog. Did you kiss i? No, you already found your prince.
My cat only drinks water from the bathtub...

Ida said...

Some fun and interesting facts about your life. I enjoyed the post very much.

Anonymous said...

I would think it a tricky shot to photograph a frog. Nice work! I saw an article in the local news regarding school starting so early in the morning. I think there was a recent survey regarding kids needing more sleep--but then there's the issue of the parents needing to send them off to school early so they can get to work on time. There are so many things wrong with that picture--in my eyes. My daughter home schools, too. What a blessing.

Lynne said...

I need a picked up, clean kitchen/house before I go to bed too!

Turkey toe nail trimming, not on my life . . . what a gal you are!

Ever detassled corn . . . ten acres with my dad back in my college days almost did us both in! Gave me tuition monies though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails