Monday, August 18, 2014

Returning From Salzburg

Delicious Dark Chocolate Truffles

No, not me. I'm not the one returning from Salzburg. You might think so, for the little I've been visiting your blogs this weekend. Actually, that was partly due to the fact that our daughter and son-in-law, (Texans transplanted from Wisconsin) were visiting. She is the one who had just returned from Salzburg, Austria, where she had attended an opera written for/performed by Jose Carreras. She came back with the most amazing photos of Salzburg, which is now on my list of places to visit. So did I think to grab a couple of her photos for my blog? Of course not.

Aren't they cute!

 Snoozing on the Front Porch

We had amazing weather while they were here. Mid 70's, probably, sunny, gentle breeze - who could ask for more.


 There's about a 10' drop-off on the south 
and southeast end of the porch
as you look straight ahead in the photo

Before the family reunion, a week earlier, Mr. Cranberry had put up a temporary 'railing' to keep the little ones in the family from falling off the deep end of the porch. We still need to put the facings around the posts and put on the ceiling and railing for the steps, but if we never got more than this done, I could easily live with this woven wire fencing. It is perfect! I'm actually considering leaving that and painting it, and not putting up a railing or wall on the remainder of the porch. It's only 2 feet off the ground on most of the porch, and even the four year olds won't get hurt if they fall off that part (unless they're really trying). 

The vintage chairs were found on the property when we moved here and were repainted last summer. The quilt that you see on the single nap bed was a $4.00 find at GoodWill. Who would not love flowers and bird houses? It's a queen size quilt, so I have folded it in half for that single bed.

 North wing of the porch
The berries on the cranberry bush behind the glider
are orange right now, turning red.

The porch is in the shape of an L. This is the part of the porch that we are planning to screen in. There will be a door where the window (see photo above) is currently located. There will be no access to the screen room from the other part of the porch, only from the house. I know all about kids and running the circle of the house. We have that on the inside of our house. I don't need it on the porch as well.

My new melodic chimes, a birthday present!!
And we had a real deluge (about 2" of rain)  on Saturday afternoon.
Can you see the rain pouring off the roof of the porch?



Photo from last November
to show you the L shape of our front porch


I suspect that there are a lot of green beans that need picking today. I hope there are enough to completely fill a canner.


***

Check out my handcrafted, vegan soaps!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Mandarin Orange Spice
Natural, Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



Although I usually forget to do it, there is a chance that this post will be linked to one or more of these great linky parties:  Inspired Monday and Mosaic Monday and Amaze Me Monday and  Inspiration Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday and Treasure Box Tuesday and KatheWithAnE and Rubbish Tuesday and Tuesday with a Twist and  Knick of Time Tuesday (vintage)  and   Tweak it Tuesday and Adorned From Above  and All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and Good Fences on Thursdays and  Time Travel Thursday and Freedom Fridays and Junkin' Joe and Vintage Inspiration Friday

32 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

How awesome that they got to visit Salzburg! I hope to visit there next year since I'll be living in Germany then! I love that porch by the way.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Salzburg sounds wonderful! They look cute snuggled up on the porch. I love the wrap around porch you have- what a great home. Wisconsin is very similar to Northern Michigan so I know how fresh the air is and beautiful the outdoors is to enjoy. We had that big downpour of rain too on Saturday- it was great! (Check out my new post - you may like it,) :-)

Linda Kay said...

Makes me want to grab my coffee and a book and sit a spell! Lovely.

Suzan said...

What a wonderful porch for watching the world go by!! PERFECT weather for napping!! Smart kids!

MadSnapper said...

i love your porch and your home. and great idea for the high end. i think it looks good and will look good painted and screened. what a view..

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your porch! What a wonderful place to have a nap. I can almost feel the warm breeze and hear the crickets chirping. I also like your two metal chairs. What a great find on your property. A lovely spot with gorgeous views!

Vee said...

That is a great compromise on the porch. You can still see your beautiful views and have that indication that the porch ends here for the children (adults, too).

What a cozy sleeping bed on the porch! Do you use it?

Your daughter and her hubby are very cute and I see that she returned with gifts. Always nice! ☺

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful porch!! You're sure to make many memories there. (I suspect that you already have, considering your recent family gatherings!)

So nice that your daughter and son-in-law could come for a visit. And, yes, they are cute! :)

TexWisGirl said...

i like the railing and wire! it doesn't impede your view! glad you had a nice visit with your texans!

Debby Ray said...

Judy, I really like your homey, cozy looking house with it's L shaped porch! And it looks like a great place to take an afternoon nap!!

Carla from The River said...

How exciting. I love to hear about peoples travels. It is so fun to learn about other places.

Your porch is beautiful.

Diane said...

What a great porch and a great view!

Sue McPeak said...

Yes, they are a cute couple, and Austria would be a place on my list, too. What a find for $4 and with bird houses...perfect for your wonderful 'L' shapped porch. Such a nice place for a nap. Fresh snapped green beans...that sounds good, too. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. So nice to hear from you.
Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

Maude Lynn said...

I LOVE your porch!

Donna said...

Those young ones sure have sweet smiles! The look of utter contentment.

Love the porch spaces! As you know, I am a huge fan of porches and we use at least one of ours on a regular basis.

Amy Burzese said...

Love that porch. Your whole place must be a wonderful place to live. Glad your daughter had a great trip and safe travels.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a trip they must have had! That is exciting! Your pictures are all wonderful. I love that porch!

L. D. said...

Your porch that wraps around is so wonderful. We have a farmhouse also but you look like you have a side by side one. Your location is a beautiful area.

Susie said...

They are a cute couple. I love your porch. It's so nice and lots of comfy places to sit. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Linda said...

I loveeeeeeeeee your home..very pretty. What a lovely couple..thanks for the smiles.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

A beautiful quilt like that sold for $4? Wow. Your luck is another person's lack of perception!

Short on words tonight. Headache.
Praying for Noah.

Terri D said...

Judy, I love seeing your home and your wonderful porch. I really miss a porch. How nice to have a bed out there! I would sure take advantage of it on lovely, comfortable days like you have been having! Ahhhhhh.

Mama Hen said...

Oh I dream of having a porch one day. It looks lovely. I love that Mr. Cranberry secured it so the little ones wouldn't fall off. :) I would love to have a yummy lemonade and a good book while enjoying the beautiful view on your porch. Lovely. Enjoy it every day! :)

Mama Hen

Anita Johnson said...

I miss a big porch like that...decks are nice and we use ours all the time...but a porch says HOME to me!

tlcukjourney said...

You have such a gorgeous home, I adore that porch! And the scenery, you are truly blessed.
I had to laugh when you wrote that you know what it's like having the kids running in circles and you don't need that on the porch as well!! haha!! kids eh?
Much love and I Hope your week is off to an awesome start!
Tammy x

srpprcrftr said...

I am so envious of your daughters' trip to Salzburg. How wonderful an experience to see that beautiful city. Only seen it on Tv but so gorgeous.
I am so envious also of your wonderful porch and views from it. When my hubs was a trucker in MT we used to go across that way very often, I always loved it when we did as I used to go with him as much as I could. Wisconsin is certainly beautiful. I so enjoyed getting to travel our country.
Your home looks so comfy and welcoming, just right for your big family. Enjoy your home and that comfy porch. We lived in KY for 5 yrs.outin country north of Bowling Green on 1 1/2 acres and home my son completely renovated for us,climate there was very hard on me so we came west again. I feel bunches better here in Western CO but wish we'd gone back to MT instead of Grand Junction, CO. pretty pricey here after KY. But regrets don't make things better. At least here we have our youngest and her family, great feeling. Happy week to you, enjoy your wonderful home.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Love the shots of your property - looks great! Go to Salzburg, you'd love it. I visited on holiday when I was about 11 and have been meaning to go back ever since. Mind you, it may have changed a little; I wonder if they still do 'Sound of Music' tours??!

podso said...

Enjoyed seeing more of your porch and love those painted vintage chairs, We had some of those on our porch when I was a child. We visited Salzburg when our kids were little. It was in the shadow of the turret on the castle on the hill that I told the kids the story of Rapunzal. Odd how that's the biggest memory other than the Sound of Music Stuff. But you would love it, stopping there on your next visit to England!

Lorrie said...

Your porch is a great space. I love the idea of snoozing on the daybed there under that cozy quilt.

I visited Salzburg once a couple of years ago and would love to return and explore more. Mozart's birthplace and those iconic scenes from the Sound of Music. And the Salzburg sweets!

Robin said...

I love your porch!!! Great pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

They are a cute couple! I imagine she has some beautiful photos from Salzburg. I love your porch, and the screened room you'll have. I grew up in a "circle" house--what fun my brother and I had. Now our grandkids do the same thing at their house. What a great quilt! I need to pay more attention when I go to Goodwill, etc.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a view and that porch is absolutely wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails