Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Hijacking the Hodgepodge for a Wedding!

 
 Back in Wisconsin,
after spending a weekend in... 

 Minnesota/South Dakota

And for a very good reason - 

It was our granddaughter's wedding day!


And okay, I do have a few photos to show you.
So bear with me.


And in the meantime, be sure to join
Joyce and the Gang
for




She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog
and join in!

1. Can you believe we're rolling in to the Labor Day weekend? What's a project you'll labor over this fall?

I hate to mention this, because I've said in the past that I was going to clean out the house. It's been a busy life, and everything else is way more interesting than cleaning out the house. On the other hand, it's something I don't want my kids to have to do after I'm gone (no immediate plans for a funeral, but you know what I  mean.)


I didn't really mean to hijack the Hodgepodge today, 
but did I mention what a wonderful wedding it was?
First there were photos out at the home farm of the
bride's great grandparents


2. Tell us about the best perks you ever had in a job?

It would probably be either working in the turkey hatchery when I was a kid, and was allowed to take home a couple turkey eggs which I got to see hatch out on top of the old TV in my bedroom OR it was homeschooling our kids, which meant I got to work from home, compile the curriculum, go on lots of nature hikes and field trips to interesting places like battlefields and museums. And the students were cute and fun and intelligent (oh wait, they were my kids, so that's bragging.) :-)





And the bride was taken to the wedding venue (another barn) for the ceremony, riding in fine style in her great grandfather's 1942 Chevy truck that had recently been restored by her uncle. Our son is the bride's father, but you might have figured that out. He's the happy man in the photo above.


3. August 31st is National South Carolina Day. Have you ever been to SC? Any desire to go? According to Southern Living, these are the top ten things to do in South Carolina...

Explore Charleston, bike, golf or relax on Hilton Head Island, see the beach and the boardwalk at Myrtle Beach, visit the state museum in the capital city Columbia, observe the wildlife and natural beauty of the Ace Basin, take a walk or hop on a trolley and check out Greenville's charming main street, visit Fort Sumter where the Civil War began, stroll through Pearl Fryar's Topiary Garden in Bishopville leaving time to check out The Button Museum, also in Bishopville, see Morgan Island (also known as Monkey Island)-home to nearly 4000 Rhesus monkeys. 

We drove through SC on the way from Covenant College in Lookout Mountain, Georgia to Washington DC by way of Grove City and Beaver Falls, PA back when our daughter was looking at colleges to attend. Also, when we took our granddaughter on her junior college trip, we visited Bob Jones University among others (Patrick Henry, Grove City, etc.). What I remember was that BJU was gorgeous, but I'm really glad she didn't end up attending there. I think I'd like to visit Myrtle Beach on a beautiful summer day when no one else is there. :-)

Which is most appealing to you today? If you're a SC native, resident, or frequent visitor what would you add to the list?

I  can't wait to see what Pam from EmptyNest writes for this one. 


 And it was one of the best Christian wedding messages I've ever heard. I even got to have some good discussion with the pastor afterwards. I'm sure he enjoyed that. LOL


 I choke up whenever I see the photo of THE HUG. Every parent who's ever entrusted their child to another human being knows what that feels like. Note the happy (and probably relieved) parents when the wedding was all over. It was an incredible amount of work for them, but they pulled it off beautifully.

4. Beef, pork, country-style, barbecued, baby back, spare or short...your favorite kind of rib? What's a dish you enjoy that really 'sticks to your ribs'?

After reading this question, I got out the pork and have a pork loin in the CrockPot for pulled pork this evening. Jack Daniels BBQ sauce was the only one I could find that didn't have the usual poisons that give me a headache, so I went with that. And I know it's good. We served it at the family reunion eons ago in early August.

5. What's one important skill you think every person should have? Why?

EVERYONE needs to learn how to read a map. Because. Just because. Everyone should know where they are on the planet and how to get to somewhere else.

 lib.utexas.edu

The red line marks our 6 1/2 hour trip from home to Brookings, SD, where the wedding was held. And the next day we did it all again, in reverse. But just look how much longer a drive it could have been!


 One needs to be able to navigate spots like this.

I can imagine someone getting stuck in one of these for days.

6. Insert your own random thought here.



 I'll have to admit that although I was, indeed, listening to the wedding message, it was hard to take my eyes off the cute ring bearer (our grandson) during the wedding ceremony. I think he was a little bored, don't you?


 ***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 
Woodland Flowers
Natural Vegan Soap

No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Great lather
Leaves skin feeling soft and silky



...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning


Judy

36 comments:

Joyce said...

I love weddings! Thanks for sharing your pictures! It looks like a beautiful day! Best wishes to the newlyweds : )

Arlene G said...

Thanks for sharing all the wedding pictures. They are so precious and touching. Best wishes to the happy couple.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I just love all the lovely wedding photos. Your granddaughter is beautiful! Best wishes to the happy couple!

Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

MadSnapper said...

I love pulled pork and I hate those magic roundabouts, we have several here. I really love looking at wedding photos even when I don't know the couple. these are beautiful photos of your beautiful family. the bride is gorgeous and I love her dress.. the first two photos of where your were and where you went look a lot alike, as in taken in the same state. my favorite ha ha moment is the little boy with the bale on his head, he looks so ho hum with the wedding party. as for laboring through labor day, since the 5th is my birthday each day I labor to turn another year old. once every 7 years it ison labor day, this year the day after and we will be having a cousin reunion on labor day at the home of a first cousin once removed

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

What a beautiful wedding! Enjoyed seeing all the photos from it. The roundabout sign with the multiple roundabouts was like nothing I've ever seen. I thought one was enough to navigate...let alone a handful! Map reading is a great skill to have. We have a U.S. map on the wall and the girls and I enjoy looking at it (it's been referred to many times during our homeschooling years). Hope you have a great week!

Nonnie said...

Oh what joy in this blog today! I positively love your answers and your photos. What a cool wedding and I'm sure I would have cried throughout because that's what I do ... especially when the message is a good one.
Watching turkeys hatch out on your tv? Wow? That IS a perk!
We had our share of troubles with a roundabout in Vail, Colorado one year and the instructions from Mapquest.

Linda said...

I lhave ved your hijacking! Such great photos and they captured that feeling of excitement and anticipation!
Beautiful people - every one!
I loved homeschooling my youngest two children! Those were some good times!
I love your memory of the turkey eggs! Not just anyone has that happen in their childhood! You are special!
At the ranch, there is a brand new baby peacock that just hatched from his egg! I can't wait to get down there and see it! Sherry says it's the size of a month old baby chicken at birth. I bet the baby turkey was big!

21 Wits said...

Oh my what a beautiful opening view, and then all those lovely wedding photos, she is a beautiful bride and what a lovely idea and place for a wedding. Excellent way to begin a marriage, much love and happiness to the couple!

Stephanie said...

Good morning, dear Judy! My , what a beautiful wedding! The bride took my breath away :)

Your post was truly a delight and a joy to read. Enjoy your day! Hugs

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I enjoyed reading your answers today, but oh my goodness those wedding pictures are awesome! So glad you had a safe trip there and back, too.
Kathy (Reflections)

podso said...

Enjoyed the answers but the star of the show was your wedding photos and comments. It looked like the perfect country kind of wedding with beautiful surroundings. I bet you are savoring the memories now. And yes, such a cute (handsome) ring bearer. It makes sense to try it on his head.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Looks like it was perfect weather for the big day! Thanks for sharing all the lovely photos. Your granddaughter must take after you and your love of old barns.

Lynne said...

WONDERFUL pictures!
Beautuful granddaughter BRIDE . . .
Handsome GROOM . . .
Everyone looked GRAND . . .
Loved the restored TRUCK . . .
RING BEARER photo was the best . . .
Oh yes . . . the BARNS look charming,
HAPPY the wedding message was the BEST ONE EVER.
(I liked the HUG too . . .)

Empty Nester said...

Your granddaughter is beautiful! I loved the pictures. They showed so much love and joy and who doesn't want to see that? :) But, how do you have a granddaughter old enough to be married???? Wow, time. That last picture? OMGosh! It might be my favorite. :) No, no, no to Myrtle Beach. It's a tourist trap and my friend who teaches there spends a couple hours getting to and from school and it's only a couple miles from her house. Come to Charleston and we'll drive up there if you want to go. It's only an hour and a half from us. Of course, once we get there we'll probably just sit in traffic so... :)

Susie said...

Judy, What a beautiful bride. I loved all the photos. Everyone looks great. Have to say, I love that old truck too. Blessings to all, especially the bride and groom. xoxo, Susie

ellen b. said...

What a gorgeous bride! The wedding really looks like a great celebration. I'm with you on that map reading skill!

Marcia said...

Lovely wedding!

Tanna said...

SUCH a beautiful wedding!! Loved seeing the photos. May God richly bless their marriage and all their family to come down the line. How wonderful to see generations continue to keep Christ as the center of their relationship. LOVE maps. LOL! blessings ~ tanna

Terri D said...

Oh!! I want more pictures!! Your granddaughter is beautiful and the wedding looks like it was so much fun! Who cares about the Hodgepodge when you have wedding pictures to share!!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

What a meaningful spot for a wedding, Judy. It's beautiful. The bride looks lovely and very happy. Darling little ring barer! May they enjoy many years together.
I agree about reading a map. I'll never forget my brother-in-law being so impressed that I knew how to read a map. My Daddy made sure of that! Love the Magic Roundabout! Yikes! Those roundabouts are something else in the Uk! ♥

Chatty Crone said...

YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER IS GORGEOUS! The day was wonderful. Did she get married at your place. Your photos - I always wanted to be a National Geography photographer - in my dreams - but you should be - I am not kidding. Everything was lovely!

Michelle said...

This looks like a lovely wedding!

Vee said...

Is there anything more celebratory and Narnia magical than a wedding?! Lovely bride and handsome groom...many blessings to them.

Creations By Cindy said...

Adorable wedding pictures Judy . So glad you shared some with us . Your granddaughter is beautiful . Hoping you have a wonderful Labor Day sweet lady . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, lovely wedding! Loved your answers. The one about the roundabout reminded me of our first encounter with a roundabout in England. No one had told us about roundabouts and there we were - stuck. I marvel that I am here today to tell you about it rather than being *still* stuck!

This N That said...

Beautiful Bride, cute kids, handsome couple...I wish them the very best...Have a good weekend.

Ida said...

What a beautiful wedding & such a happy couple. Always great times at weddings.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That hug has us all choked up...how wonderful! And what a gorgeous bride. Glad you had a nice trip. I LOVE maps! Hugs, Diane

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a beautiful bride and a lovely wedding!
I mention cleaning out the house all the time and I've been talking about it for years. Enjoyed reading your answers along with all the wedding photos. Have a nice Labor Day weekend.

Carla from The River said...

WOW! I just love all the photos. What a beautiful day. I love the hug too. So sweet. And a beautiful bride.
Congratulations to you all.
Carla

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Judy, I just had to stop by and leave a comment ...
What a wonderful wedding, your photographs are a joy.

Many congratulations.

All the best Jan

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

WHAT a beatiful bride and family you have!!

Love all of the photos, starting out with the beautiful skies and every one after that.

You are very blessed :)

Terra Heck said...

Congrats to your granddaughter. Love the wedding photos. I hate, hate, hate roundabouts. Luckily, we only have one in our town.

Patti said...

A lovely bride--and she picked a wonderful dress for her special day.

We have visited many areas of South Carolina, and look forward to returning there in October. The weather is still very nice then, and you pretty much have the beach to yourself. I recommend the Charleston Tea Plantation tour. It is run by Bigelow, and is the only tea plantation in the U.S. It's pretty much a one-man operation, for the most part.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Wonderful shots of a wonderful day, Judy. I don't know how you've managed to get a grandchild married - I'm still waiting for a grandchild; you must start really young over there!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Wonderful shots of a wonderful day, Judy. I don't know how you've managed to get a grandchild married - I'm still waiting for a grandchild; you must start really young over there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails