Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Hodgepodging Pigmania and Fairy Tales

 Our Amish neighbors, hoofing it into town.
 (Taken from the front porch in a split-second opportunity)


Join Joyce and the Gang
for


 She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in !

Thank you, Joyce, for another fun Hodgepodge!
1. I feel most energized when I _______________________.

am outdoors and walking!! 

OR, when I'm out taking more photos.
OR, when I've just had my morning coffee.
OR all of the above.


2. Where were you ten years ago?

July of 2008

I was here, enjoying the family for the weekend. Pictured above are son and grandson.

3. July 17th is World Emoji Day. Do you use emojis? Which one's your favorite? Your most used?

I do use emojis, hopefully not overuse them, but I'm not sure about that. My favorite emojis were the cute dog, cute cat, and cutest ever blackface sheep. Now my phone (or somebody) has changed the emojis so that it's not a cute dog, it's a stupid looking cat, and blackface sheep have been replaced by boring sheep. I'm so sad.

How hard would it be to bring back my favorite sheep to Emojiland???
Maybe I should start a petition.

4. What song would you put on a wedding DO NOT PLAY list?

I know that I'm really living dangerously to reveal this song as one I hope I never ever hear again, because probably many bloggers have had this song sung at their wedding. 'The Wedding Song' aka There is Love.  It has been SO overused, oversung, and overrated. And it's just plain dreary! I wouldn't like it any better sung by Patricia Forbes than by Peter Paul, and Mary. Well, maybe I would. Well, yes actually I guess I would. .. but...Did the Beatles sing it?? That might have helped it. Anyway, you get the drift. Please forgive me if it's your very favorite wedding song. I'm just trying to be honest here, Joyce, and you did ask. Wouldn't it be safer to just stick with reading Scripture?

 Tommy & Smokey on the window seat
Do you think Smokey is comfortable??

5. What deserves less of your attention? More of your attention?

Hmmmmm. What deserves less of my attention? Probably cleaning the refrigerator - Oh wait. It couldn't get any less. And what deserves MORE of my attention? Same ole, same ole... downsizing. Sigh. But what I loved giving attention to last weekend was this:

Pigmania, Popcorn, and Progeny
If you've never played Pigmania (more recent version called Pig Out),
you must do as soon as possible! 
Toss those pigs like dice.
Will it be a razorback, a hoofer, or a leaning jowler?? 
The suspense is killing me!
These two fun grands LOVE playing games.
And I love THEM!


6.  Insert your own random thought here. 

We are waiting to hear news of the birth of our first great grandchild. I am hoping that she will be born on her grandfather's birthday (our son, the guy pictured above in Question 2), whose birthday is on the 19th.

This is one of my favorite photos of the soon-to-deliver mama. 
She's a bit older now, but just as cute.

I hope the new mama reads fairy tales to her little one (well, maybe not right away, but...). Do you remember reading fairy tales or having them read to you and being scared, and enjoying being scared? Well I came across this quote the other day and love it (as I do most things from that brilliant, eccentric man):

"Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon. Exactly what the fairy tale does is this: it accustoms him for a series of clear pictures to the idea that these limitless terrors had a limit, that these shapeless enemies have enemies in the knights of God, that there is something in the universe more mystical than darkness, and stronger than strong fear." - G.K. Chesterton (of course). 




***


Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!

Buy ANY 5 or more, Get another of your choice FREE 

Frosted Apple Spice
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap
No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Delicious fragrance
Real apple peel from our sweet McIntosh tree
Luxurious lather
4.5-5 oz. bars
Labeled and Wrapped, ready for gifting.


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

24 comments:

Joyce said...

Congratulations on becoming a great-grand! I hope this new little one is read Fairy Tales too. The church my daughter is getting married in allows only sacred music, so there will not be any Wedding Song sung. I happen to love it though : ) Have a great day!

Vee said...

Well I shall be sending that quote to a niece who plans not to read fairy tales to her little boy...perhaps in a book of fairy tales. Chesterton is brilliant! Love it. And, yes, I am a lover of fairy tales and of which, I have several volumes.

Exciting times for your family as you wait for the birth of the new baby. 🤱🏼 (It figures that a fairy tale lover would also love a good emoji.)

Sandi said...

I love the Amish buggy photo!

maddie/cadesmimi said...

Hello,
I love that shot of the Amish horse and buggy!
How exciting to be awaiting the arrival of a great-grand! I sure hope I live long enough to experience that joy, too.
And yes, I think Smokey is quite comfortable in that photo :)
Kathy (Reflections)

MadSnapper said...

I had the big book of fairy tales and loved all of them, I still like fairytales. Rapunzel was my favorite back then. I loved everything from Jack n the beanstalk to Cinderella and The Princess and the Pea is what my hubby says I am because a wrinkle in the sheets can make me restless... my favorite book of my childhood that I read until it was ragged was Tarzan and the City of Gold.

congratulations on the coming great grandchild and yes, both those cats look comfy to me... I would love to see the horse and buggy from my porch, if I had a porch

Marcia said...

Wow! Didn’t think you were old enough to be a great grand ma. My oldest granddaughter is 4 so I have a long time to wait.

Debby Ray said...

Love the Amish horse and carriage pic! A great-grandma? How wonderful and exciting! So, just to let you know, I am not one bit offended that you stepped all over the song that my brother sang and played at my wedding. At the time (1976) it had not yet been played to death or over used and my brother's version as he played his guitar was quite lovely. But I certainly know what you mean about that. I remember loving fair tales as a child and they in no way seemed like reality or scared me...it was just fun reading. There are so many things out there today that should scare the pants off some parents...but it evidently doesn't. :O

Annsterw said...

Congrats on the soon to be new great grand baby!

L. D. said...

I always enjoy seeing and reading your replies. The Amish being nearby would be a special to have. Your grandkids are sweet and a new great grand baby will be special too.

Mrs.T said...

Although they weren't necessarily my favorite reading, I don't remember ever being frightened by fairy tales ... it was real life that frightened me as a child. First grade was particularly traumatic.

Love the pic of your Amish neighbors on the way into town!

And that soap looks delicious enough to eat!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Oh my what wonderful photos. And I add my congratulations! Wishing a grand rest of the week!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How exciting to be expecting a new baby in the family. I'm so happy for you! And fairy tales allow children to be creative and to use their imagination, I think! Hugs!

podso said...

A great grandmother! I guess being great aunts gently leads you to that next step. I walked up the aisle to the congregation singing Praise My Soul the King of Heaven, which the Queen of England also used as her processional, and love that we sing it regularly at our church--even once on our anniversary, unbeknownst to those who planned the service. I love the Chesterton quote.

Lynne said...

I have enjoyed every pic of Tommy and Smokey . . .
I think a children’s story is in order!

Fairy tales . . . oh yes . . . when I was young.
One thing I miss with my great grand is not doing nursery thymes together.
My kiddies knew them all . . .

I hope your wish comes true . . . great grands are really fun!

Terri D said...

Awww... a great-grand!! How exciting! I love the way your cats cuddle each other! I always enjoy your photos!

JanCT said...

My gray cat Herbie is ALWAYS sprawling out on top of my yellow cat. Maybe it's a gray cat thing? I always loved Snow White as a kid. Still do!
Jan
Laughter and Consistency

Stacy said...

We have that pig game around here somewhere, but it goes by yet another name from the two you gave. I can't remember what it is, though.
I used to like the wedding song until everyone started using it and not everyone sings it well. It seems to have fallen out of favor around here.
Love your planner page...so colorful and cheerful!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I trust today is the BIG day for your family. How exciting it must be to anticipate the birth of your first great grand baby. I had not read that quote before, and wonder why not. It is excellent and I could not agree more. I started reading fairly tales and nursery rhymes (which you never hear of anymore) to my children right after they were born as I nursed. They also listened to classical music as well. I am going to miss your posts on the Hodgepodge but will continue to enjoy the Instagram pics.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

I remember attending a wedding many years ago where the ceremony started with "We've Only Just Begun." Didn't like that at all! The worst song I've ever heard at a wedding reception was when the couple had their first dance to, wait for it, Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye.

Loris Glassworks said...

Congrats on the soon to be new great grand baby! I love your photo of the Amish buggy, as always your photos are amazing, even in a flash moment. I always enjoyed your answers on hodgepodge. I'm sad that Hodgepodge is going on break, just when I'm joining again... Let me know if you participate in any other blog surveys like this one.
Cheers!
Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Those are all good reasons to be energized. It's okay if the add emojis but they shouldn't take any away. Looks like last weekend was a good one. Oh my, a great grandchild, how exciting. I'm waiting for my first grandchild this October. Would love for him to be born on my birthday!!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Enjoyed that, as usual, Judy. Great grand parents??! - you're kidding! Wonderful - of course - but what do they feed you on over there? I have never heard 'There is love' - sounds like I'm in a minority. Just found it on You tube and it's pretty good - but then maybe you liked it the first time you heard it too. The Beatles did not cover it, so far as I'm aware.

Judy S. said...

I'n with you on the downsizing! It's so difficult. Wow, a great grandbaby; there's probably no chance we'll ever see that. Don't think I've heard that wedding song either, but it's been ages since we've been to a wedding. Our GK are way too young to even be contemplating that!

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I love the horse and carriage photo. I'm in a mission to declutter even though I don't seem to be succeeding. Congrats on your upcoming grand baby! I like Hodgepodge and enjoy reading the answers and only joined in once...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails