Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Hodgepodging Nostalgia

 Red Dragon Wing Begonias,
just outside the back door.


Join Joyce and the Gang
for



 She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!
 
Thanks, Joyce, for another fun Hodgepodge!

 
1. What's something in your house you'd like to get rid of but can't?

More books.
 
 'Here she comes with another armload of books!'

2. When is the last time you experienced a sense of nostalgia? Elaborate.

When I was trying to get rid of more books. I think especially the old (and I mean old) text books, any books about England (no, I couldn't part with even one), and books I especially loved reading. But I did manage to clear out 15 linear feet of books, so it should feel like progress - but doesn't really. My goal is 120 linear feet of books. I've still got boxes and shelves full of books upstairs that I need to go through. Some days all I can do is stand and stare at them. I know some of you can relate to this.


 Red Cedar Trail, Menomonie, WI


3. You're only allowed three apps on your smart phone or tablet...which three do you keep?

Daily Prayer from C of E, Amazon Music, and Snapseed.  Maybe. Definitely keeping the first two. It's unbelievable how many Google apps I never ever use are stored on my phone, from the factory. There's not a thing I can do to get rid of them, as far as I know.

Red Cedar River, Menomonie, WI

4. July 11th is National Blueberry Muffin Day. Who knew? Do you like blueberry muffins? If you were going to have a muffin would blueberry be your choice? What's the last thing you baked?

I like blueberry muffins, but my first choice would be a crusty-on-the-outside, moist-on-the-inside lemon poppyseed. The last thing I baked was a batch of gluten free chocolate chip/walnut cookies, and they're in the freezer downstairs so that I don't eat the whole batch at once. Mr. C. does not have a sweet tooth. He's all about salt.
 
 Red Barns, Dunn County, WI

5. What's the biggest way you've changed since you were a child? In what way are you still the same?

Sometimes I don't think I've changed at all, except gotten bigger with gray hair and wrinkles. I've always liked to spend time outdoors, near water, but I no longer drink from mud puddles or lick salt blocks out in the pasture.
 
 
 
Yes, it was a REALLY bad hair day.
Warm and near or at 100% humidity
And I actually wore this out in public.
I should've kept my Roy Rogers hat.


6. Insert your own random thought here.
 
I had a lovely lunch with Martin Shaw out on our screen porch yesterday, thanks to Vee. Unfortunately, by the time he arrived, I'd already eaten all the salad and all that was left was a little bowl of pistachio shells. But it was an interesting hour. Vee knows I like the George Gently mysteries and Martin Shaw was featured in 'Who Do You Think You Are?' which I watched on YouTube. Thank you Vee!


 Tommy wasn't impressed.

***



Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy ANY 5 or more, Get 1 FREE 

 NORTHWOODS

 Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap
With Balsam and Siberian Fir Essential Oils

 
Gentle, mild soap
Delicious fragrance,
Luxurious lather
No animal products
No harsh chemicals

Labeled and wrapped, ready for gifting
4.5-5 oz.


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning
 









Judy

30 comments:

Cathy said...

I love your first picture of the red dragon wing begonias. So pretty. I have fire storm begonias hanging on my front porch this year and really love them.

You look really good with a scarf wrap. I wouldn’t even begin to know how to wear one.

Stacy said...

Yes, I can identify with your book situation, but I love them and don't want them gone. I'd get rid of other furniture to have more books if I could. I never use any of those factory installed apps on my phone (like 4 or 5 screen loads of them!), but I'm also afraid to delete any for fear they might have something to do with the way my phone works. Good to know you've given up drinking from mud puddles! LOL You really do look good in a scarf. Have a lovely day!

Capri K said...

I love your before and after pictures!!!
Purty kitty cat!
I love Who Do You Think You Are. Wish I could hire them to take a look into our past.

Arlene G said...

I lol'd at your description of changes since you were a little girl, Judy. I am glad you no longer drink from mud puddles. And hey, I like your pretty scarf!! Looks good on you.

A Joyful Chaos said...

Books are something I find very difficult to part with. I also need to go through the ones we have.

Susie said...

Judy, You do have the same cute smile from when you were a kid. :) Yuck on mud puddle drinking and pasture salt licks. LOL Books are a love of mine too. They are everywhere here. Growing up, there were no books in our house, other than bibles. We just were that poor. My first hard cover book was , To Kill A Mockingbird. I have tons of design books and art books. I have some classics, I keep. I thought just the other day, I need to start getting rid of everything it took me a lifetime to gather...no one wants to sort all this stuff one day. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

MadSnapper said...

Tommy is impressive all by himself so no need for him to be impressed. were you visitng via skype? I have only under 20 books in the house, and 6 of those are different translations of the Bible. if I kept all the books I have read since age five I would need the library of congress to store them. I am a totally different person than I was as a child or as a teen. the only thing the same is my bullheaded controlling personality... got that from daddy. we both love blue berry muffins, my favoirite is the same as yours, the lemon poppyseed and bobs is banana nut.... my first two hardcover books were Tarzan and the city of Gold and Bomba..next were Nancy Drew and Hardy boys. most of my books were library. we had no money for books.

Joyce said...

I think you're rockin' the scarf! I am one of those who understands how you can just stand in front of books and look at them. Or intend to pack some in a box but instead find yourself sitting on the floor reading. But hey, fifteen feet is a start!

Debby Ray said...

Just when I thought blueberry muffins were my favorite, you had to remind me about a crusty lemon-poppy seed one...thanks, now I want one! Your answers are always so to-the-point and #5 cracked me up. And if I looked that good with a scarf wrapped around my head, I would never worry about having a bad hair day!

Mrs.T said...

Love all your photos and your scarf solution to a bad hair day. Humidity wreaks havoc with my hair too. One day I actually contemplated a scarf. You pulled the look off really well.

My parents had books literally in every room other than the main bathroom. I find as I get older (and have discovered ThriftBooks) that I, too, could have the book-buying gene, but when I buy books I try to get rid of some. And I have all those books at my parents' to get rid of! Many of them I've donated, but there are hundreds more to go ...

I didn't think of Amazon Music as being an app (silly me) but it's not one I'd want to be without. So I can count that as my third.

podso said...

You take the best cat pics! And aren't we glad for pretty scarves for bad hair days? Well, I don't look good in them, but you do.
Congrats on the book cleansing. The gardener spent hours Saturday sorting and has packed several boxes for a seminary overseas. Many books hold such meaning for bibliophiles it's hard to let go.

Annsterw said...

Yes - I am completely with you on the lemon poppy-seed muffing!!! YUM!!! I think you look beautiful with the headscarf on! I love that look!Annster's Domain

Chatty Crone said...

The picture of you I don't think that I have ever seen your face before - you are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the same kind of blueberry/lemon/poppyseed muffins you do.
Love your cat pictures!
sandie

peppylady (Dora) said...

I once recall I went though some cookbook and reference types of book and took 10% of them to a thrift store. It didn't even look like I made a dent in it.
Coffee is on

JanCT said...

I think you were ROCKING that scarf. When I first saw your photo for #1, I thought you were going to say you wanted to get rid of your cat! Then I read the text. (Smile.) I know what you mean about holding onto books. I've managed to keep the book collection fairly manageable, but it's tough!
Jan
Laughter and Consistency

Nonnie said...

I like your photos at the end. And I do remember eating dirt and some kind of clover we picked and called sheep sour or something like that. We also loved honeysuckle. Books. My stepson says he doesn't understand keeping books once they've been read. How sad.

Lynne said...

I was a bit nervous when I read question #1 . . .
I thought maybe Smokey was going to be history . . .
Thank goodness it was “just books” . . .

BTW . . . looking your head photo . . .
And nice scarf look for a very hot day!

Deb said...

Haha! I always enjoy your hodge-podgin'.
The cats are so cute. A box is the best cat trap ever made.
I love the photo of you as a child and now.
I need to find a scarf like that to wear when I cat-sit. lol

Terri D said...

Love the cowgirl picture of you AND you look just fine in your scarf. Joyce gave us another fun Hodgepodge!! I enjoyed reading your answers and had to download Snapseed on my phone! Never heard of it and now can't wait to play!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Your begonias are so lovely, Judy.. It's so wonderful to see blooms when we gaze out a window or go outside. You look darling in your scarf! Even though I love them, they only look okay around my neck and I wouldn't want that these hot, humid days of July. Good for you clearing 15 linear feet of books. It's so hard to remove books that mean so much to our hearts. ♥

Cindy said...

I love the picture of the barn. In April we went on a two week road trip from Seattle to Philadelphia and back again. So many farms and barns and I thought about you a lot!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Love that cowgirl photo--adorable! You look great in a scarf, by the way. I would look totally ridiculous in one. I'm very impressed with your book-weeding project. You're off to a great start. (PS My current cookie has less than a teaspoon of sugar per cookie, so you could have a few. But I love to freeze treats, too, to limit consumption!)

Vee said...

The books...*groan.* Yes, I know the joy and the agony. I was able to get rid of a bookcase recently. Unfortunately, the books in the bookcase are sitting in piles all around me. I have a plan...just little energy to implement it.

You wear the scarf well. Wish I were doing so well with my new skorts. 🙃 Comfortable but not cool like your scarf.

Thanks for the mention. Glad that you and Martin shared some time on the porch. It was an interesting story.

Lady Fi said...

So many lovely shots. I have a Kindle so can go on a shopping spree for books without adding to the weight.

Maribeth said...

My husband is not a sweets eater either! Perhaps it is a man thing. I love my sweets, but I have to stay away from them! I do love Blueberry Muffins, but what about a Cranberry one? Those are wonderful. Cape Cod, where I grew up had so many Bogs back then. And I really loved those muffins!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I do understand. I don't have as many books as you do but the ones I have I want to keep. However I do have a lot of collectibles and feel the same way about them. I'm with you on the lemon poppy seed, that sounds so good. I enjoyed all of your photos.

Breathing In Grace said...

You're beautiful! No need for filters at all! 💜

Pamela Gordon said...

I love the both the photo of the younger you and the 'today' you. You still have the same beautiful smile. :) Nice to stop by and visit you here - always a favourite. Enjoy the summer and I'll see you on IG.

Theresa said...

Love the pictures! Curious what Snapseed is, gonna go search it out:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Barbara said...

Your pictures from Menominee (sp??) are so beautiful. Love all the green.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails