Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Wednesday Medley and Bits of Life Wednesday

Cute little red barn and silo in Chippewa County, WI


Join Terri and the Gang
for
 She writes the questions;
we write the answers. 
Plug them into your own blog,
then leave a comment on Terri's blog
so that we can all find you and visit your blog!
Click HERE for Terri's blog

1. This week is County Fair Week in my old stomping grounds.  The Fairfield County (Ohio) Fair holds fond memories for me, especially of the marching band show on the race track, in front of the grandstand, and of 4-H sewing projects.  Do you have a memory to share of a county or state fair!!  

I have a memory of visiting the Minnesota State Fair with my parents and friends when I was a kid, and loved going on the Ferris wheel, getting to the top, and rocking the bench. I'm not sure why I thought that was fun. I think of it now and if I were with one of my grandkids and they did that, I wouldn't stand for it. Just the thought of it makes me shudder.  Even worse is the thought of the first brave people to go on the newly-invented Ferris wheel. I  believe that Mrs. Ferris was among the first. What a trusting wife!

From Wikipedia:  "The original Ferris Wheel, sometimes also referred to as the Chicago Wheel, was designed and constructed by George Washington Gale Ferris Jr.. With a height of 80.4 metres (264 ft) it was the tallest attraction at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois, where it opened to the public on June 21, 1893."

Most of what I know about the Columbian Exposition of 1893 and the Ferris wheel comes from the book, 'Devil in the White City,' about the parallel happenings in the lives of the architect of the Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer who prowled the city during that time. A real page turner! And it's true. Written by Erik Larson. 

 Maple tree in the front yard and the cornfield



2. If animals could talk, which would be the rudest?

Donkeys. Remember Eeyore.  But then, I read that camels spit. Horses, on the other hand, are practically perfect in every way. So are German Shepherds. :-)

 Little white church in the countryside in Chippewa County, WI.
There was another smaller sign next to St. Bridget's which read,
"Holy Ghost Grilled Chicken Buffet"
Surely there must be an explanation.:-)
Sure enough, there's a Holy Ghost parish in the nearby town of Chippewa Falls.

3. What mythical creature would improve the world most if it existed?

I think it would be the unicorn. It would certainly make my little granddaughter happy. 

This might be a Little Pony, not sure.
But I know she loves unicorns. :-)


4. What is something that everyone looks stupid doing?

Taking a selfie.

 Remember that boa constrictor I told you about last week?
Well here's our grandson holding another one.
(Photo taken by his mom, last week)
I don't think he plans to eat it, however.

5. Is intelligence or wisdom more useful?

I will let you know if I get any quantity of either. But I suspect that wisdom is more useful. I guess it depends upon your objective. At this point in my life, I'm seeing that wisdom would be (would have been) far more useful.

 The woods are full of spectacular color right now.
I cannot look at it without praising God for his generosity!
I had a dental appointment in Eau Claire, and I wish I could have shown you the woods just north of Chippewa Falls. We have a lot of trees up here, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Northern Wisconsin. Both sides of Highway 53 were spectacular, even in the pouring rain. I think the last year we had color this great was 2013. Maybe, if the sun comes out again, I will be able to get some better photos, if the leaves aren't all gone by then.

6. Tell us something random about the rest of your week!

The rest of my week will involve cleaning house, baking pies, roasting a turkey breast and ham, peeling potatoes, making a pot of chili, making my sister-in-law's fabulous orange jello, and generally getting things ready for our family's Early Thanksgiving next Saturday.  We have a huge bonfire ready to go, and if the cornfield is wet enough, we might be able to light it. And if not, we'll have a large campfire instead.




"When we try to satisfy the hunger for God with something less than God, we will naturally be frustrated, and then in our frustration, we will convince ourselves that we need more of that finite good, so we will struggle to achieve it, only to find ourselves again, necessarily, dissatisfied. At this point, a sort of spiritual panic sets in, and we can find ourselves turning obsessively around this creaturely good that can never in principle make us happy.”
Bishop Robert Barron (Word on Fire)

I will sing of your steadfast love, O Lord,forever;
    with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations. 

 I declare that your steadfast love is established forever;
    your faithfulness is as firm as the heavens.

From Psalm 89 


 I'll have to get a photo of Tommy & Smokey in the daylight, although we've had so many dark and rainy days, it's not easy. This one was taken in the evening - poor light, and I can't believe how early it gets dark now, and how soon the big W will be descending upon us.

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Mandarin Spice
Natural Vegan Soap
An incredible fragrance from essential oils
No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Luxurious lather 



...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop

Please close the back door
when you leave so that
Tommy & Smokey don't become eagle food.


Have a great Wednesday, everyone!
Join me on Instagram @cranberrymorning


Judy

19 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You have some beautiful color in your neck of the woods right now! And I love the cornfields. I took pics of them in NC every chance I got. A bonfire....oh I would love that! Hugs!

Dönüşü Olmayan Orman said...

Lovely post. You may be interested in my posts.
https://forestofnoreturn.blogspot.com

Debby Ray said...

You have some gorgeous color going on there and your photos are fantastic...I'm still waiting on mine. I hope you have beautiful weather for your early Thanksgiving gathering...my mouth was watering as I read about what you were preparing...enjoy your time with your family!

MadSnapper said...

on another post of these questons had no answer for rude, but now I remember how rude the llama was at a rescue place. they spit and bite. also I have never owned a cat or been owned by one, but I have met some really rude cats, that said, tommy and smokey appear to not have a rude bone in their body... I love all your fall colors.. and enjoy your early TG it sounds like fun to me...

Carla from The River said...

I just love that last photo.
I also like Tommy's toes peeking in the photo of those two sweethearts.

Have a great weekend. The forecast looks like you will have a Sunny Saturday. :-)
Carla

Wendy said...

Really enjoyed reading your post and the lovely pics (except the one with the snake! lol) Happy early Thanks Giving. Hope the weather is good for you.

podso said...

Love the back door shot! (And the rest of your post.)

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Wow, it's amazing color your way, Judy! Your photos are always beautiful. I hope you have a lovely early Thanksgiving celebration. The menu sure sounds delicious! ♥

21 Wits said...

Wow, looking out your door with autumn spilling all over, that is just perfect!

Terri D said...

I hope those two cats know just how lucky they are!! Thanks for joining in today!! I enjoyed your answers and your story about the fair! Your fall colors are beautiful and I hope they stay on the trees for your early Thanksgiving next week. I just love that your family does that!! Hugs!!

Chatty Crone said...

I love that photo of the red barn. That tree is gorgeous and I bet it is old. I think I will take the Little Pony instead of that snake - cute children tho! Love, sandie

Red said...

What lovely fall colors! Is it cold yet in your area?

Not a huge fan of the Ferris Wheel, but the one time I rode the one on Chicago's North Pier, I surprised the guy I was with by leaning in for a kiss. "You HAVE to kiss at the top of a ferris wheel" was my logic. I never repeated that sentiment when I was later on a ferris wheel with a friend I didn't see in that light!

Vee said...

The ferris wheel was a favorite of mine as well. Today, I feel no desire to find the nearest one.

Yes, I know just what you mean about the beautiful sights to photograph if only you’d not get killed in the doing it. Fortunately, I had a driver yesterday. Course, I missed all the best shots to include an eagle swooping about.

Your little grandgirlie is so darling and she is rocking that outfit no matter what she is.

Your week sounds very busy and also as if you have happy pursuits, given the weather. Now if it turns off sunny and beautiful, it is going to be tough being tethered to the kitchen. Shall I pray for more rain? Right up to Saturday?

May your Thanksgiving be merry and bright! (I may have my holidays confused,)

Susie said...

Judy, You have the best pictures. I always love to see the barns and churches. Of course kids are cute too. I want a pretty little pony girl too. I miss my babies. Oh that snake...awesome colors. My daughter took me to a small zoo, they had a boa constrictor , they called him Julius Squeezer. I loved that name for a boa. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Marcia said...

Enjoying the fall colors you shared. Ours are very disappointing. Many trees have just lost their leaves without turning colors. We just were inWest Virginia and not much difference at their higher elevation. Lots of bare trees. Must be all the rain we have had and missing sun.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, autumn would definitely be my favorite season there. Gorgeous! Love photos (in any light) of Tommy and Smokey! The Ferris wheel was always my favorite ride, but I've never been on one of the really big ones--too much excitement for ME!

Cheryl said...

I remember riding the Ferris wheel and swinging my little legs and rocking the car . . . while my aunt implored me to stop! I couldn't imagine why she wasn't having fun! Somewhere along the line, I developed a fear of heights. I don't do Ferris wheels. At. All. I, too, am in awe of Mrs. Ferris!

Hope your Thanksgiving celebration was wonderful!!

Lynne said...

I am so behind in reading, following . . .
Forgive me . . .
Tiny little Lone Rock Wisconsin village . . .
Cake Walks and Pies . . . I remember.
I can see the building in my mind where the events happened.
I wonder if it is still there.

My mother was a WONDERFUL pie maker.
(I was not blessed with her talent.)
Her Lemon Pie and Banana Cream were not like ANY others.
Truly the BEST!

I remember one year riding in the car to take her Lemon pie to the fair . . . AND
as she stepped out of the car . . . it slid to the ground.
Poof . . . done . . . gone.
(and that is a memory of 75 years ago)

Smokey and Tommy . . . do they ever curl up in separate spots?

Cindy said...

Those colors are stunning! I forgot you have an early Thanksgiving (I think you wrote about it last year.) I pray you have a wonderful day, thanking the Lord for all His blessings.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails