Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Wednesday Medley and Bits of Life Wednesday

 Quick glimpse of the front porch on a sunny yesterday.


Join Terri and the Gang
for


She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog,
then leave a comment at 
so we can find you and read your post!

Thank you to Terri for providing these questions!

1.  The Circleville, Ohio, Pumpkin Festival starts today.  All things pumpkin are everywhere. What is your one very favorite pumpkin flavored food or drink?  Do you wish it was available all year or do you only want it in the Fall?

The gluten-free pumpkin muffins I made last week are incredible! An IGer had mentioned the source of the recipe, (www.blessthismessplease.com) so I thought I'd check it out. 


2 c. rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 eggs
3/4 c. plain Greek yogurt (not fat-free)
1/3 c. maple syrup
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. sea salt
2 t. pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
1 c. mini chocolate chips (semi sweet)
1 c. chopt walnuts

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
In the jar of your blender, add the oats. Cover with lid and process until the oats look like flour (1-3 minutes). Pour oats into your KitchenAid mixer bowl or some other mixing bowl. This is supposed to be a blender-only recipe, but when I made my first batch that way, it set up like concrete in the bottom of the blender. I wasn't about to try that a second time!

Into the mixer bowl add pumpkin puree, eggs, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix.
Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Spoon batter into muffin tin.

Bake at 400 degrees for 17 minutes or until muffins spring back slightly when touched.

I love this recipe!

 The neighbor's Jerseys.
Thinking about that yogurt

2.  What product would you seriously stockpile if you found out they weren't going to sell it anymore?

Coffee beans. Can you imagine opening the door of our largest guest room and coffee beans come gushing out? Try. Just try.

North of our farm about 2 miles on 17th Street.
Gorgeous color on the 11th of October.

3.  What is the most interesting thing you have seen online this week?

The most interesting thing I saw online this week was a set of Bruynzeel colored pencils, which I purchased. The color feels so nice and smooth as you're working. (playing). The Banksy (graffiti artist) spoof, was the most interesting thing the week before. 

More neighborhood pics

4.  Is it better to be a "big fish in a small pond" or a "small fish in a big pond"?

A big fish in a small pond is more likely to encourage one's ego and give us a false sense of our own importance. A small fish in a big pond is more likely to make us dependent upon God. From this great distance on the timeline of my life, I'd choose the second option. But as my mother-in-law used to say, "Too soon old; too late smart." 

Here's an interesting article, entitled, 'Your Life Does Not Belong to You.'


I wonder if a gangster or a serial killer holes up here
(in our neighborhood)

5.  My Joe has become obsessed with playing chess on the computer.  Do you play chess?  Are you good at it?

I played chess when I was young, but haven't played it for years. I'm  more likely to play a word game. 

(or maybe HERE)

6.  Tell us something random about your week.

 Yes, that's snow you see
Making its autumn appearance on October 14.
(Daughter-in-law and three of the grandkids)

I thought you'd never ask! :-)  We enjoyed a nice gathering of family and friends for our Early Thanksgiving. Not only did we all get an opportunity to tell each other one thing we were thankful for, and not only did my son bake two apple pies to go along with my two pumpkin pies, and not only did my daughter make a killer gluten-free, dairy-free green bean casserole, and not only did we have too much ham and turkey, and not only did the kids have a blast playing out in the sudden snowfall, 
 


and not only was a group around a game table in the library and from the sound of it having a rip roaring time, BUT our son and his wife, who are expecting the birth of their second baby in February shared a 'gender reveal' with us. I'm showing a video for all of you, but especially for those friends in the UK who would probably be arrested and hauled off to gaol for doing such a thing. LOL


And not only do we have 'open carry' in Wisconsin, but we have 'open shooting,' I guess, as long as it's not at any living thing, including a tree. (Okay, the last part was my rule for the BB gun when our kids were young.) I guess this would be considered target practice.

Some of the gang on the hilltop with their pink or blue balloons, their guess of the baby's gender before the big explosive 'reveal.'

Two of the cousins, both 8 years old


One of the lovely granddaughters

Expectant mom and dad and older 4-year old brother


***

Christmas soaps are up in my Etsy shop
Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE



Figgy Pudding
Natural Vegan Soap


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Have a great Wednesday, everyone!
Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

26 comments:

Preppy Empty Nester said...

It looks like a good time had by all! I am still chuckling from the comment you left on my blog about Eugenie and the fascinator! Love the first pic of your home and gorgeous tree!

Arlene G said...

I am not a big pumpkin spice person myself. We just did not eat Pumpkin Pie at our house for Thanksgiving. We had Pecan Pie. Love the beautiful leaves...we are just beginning to see some fall color here in the South. Snow...you can keep that.:)

MadSnapper said...

your family is so beautiful and your home is gorgeous. that view through the trees is spectacular.. the only pumpkin I like is pie, nothing else. and I prefer sweet potato pie over pumpkin. the cows have captured my heart completely.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love the fall colors and views. The cattle scene is cute. Your family is beautiful, lovely photos. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Okay, your pictures today convinced me I want to live near you. But not in either of the buildings you showed. LOL! I have a hard time satisfying my love for fall colored leafs down here. And you know I love snow, but I may be ready to come back south after a few weeks of it, so I won't make a rash decision to move. Congratulations on the soon-to-be new grandson. What fun you must have all had together.

Hootin Anni said...

I love the photo of your granddaughter by the tree! And so enjoyed your answer to #4.

But, I'm VERY partial to the beauty of your first photo...view off the porch!!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
I joined in today. I will try to join in as often as I can. I am glad Terri is taking this on. :-)
Your Thanksgiving looks like a grand time. Congratulations to Joe and Family.
xx oo
Carla
P.S. Tell me more about the pencils. Atticus is a serious artist and would be interested in them.

Chatty Crone said...

I am going to copy that recipe - thank you.
I just have to say that I LOVE your photos - I know I tell you that every time but I just think you have the most gorgeous photos. I love your house and the cows.

I'd rather be a small fish in a big pond, I am VP of the District of our church area and there is too much pettiness going on - so when I am done next year - I just want to work with no responsibilities to make others work. lol

I just want to work - lol.
You have a very LOVELY family too.
Have a good day.
Sandie

Robin said...

The Circleville zpumpkin Show is so much fun. Love go8 g there, not able to go this week. Judy, lovely pictures of your family. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with your family, and how exciting a new grandchild on the way.

podso said...

That might be the most fun gender reveal I've seen! He must have hit the target well too. Beautiful fall color and I can pick up a sense of your delightfully cool weather (still waiting here.)

Terri D said...

What a happy post!! I loved the 'reveal' video! Thanks so much for joining in on the Medley! I enjoyed your answers and think coffee beans is a great answer! If the guest room is full, your house would smell amazingly good!!

Maribeth said...

Beautiful Autumn photo's. I adore Cows! I don't know why it's just always been like that! What a fun gender reveal!

Vee said...

Oh a wonderful weekend... Crazy fun gender reveal...glad that Big Brother will have a Baby Brother. Don’t spend too much time thinking about gangsters now...

Jenny Woolf said...

That first photo is really something. How wonderful for you to have such a great property to live on. What a fun weekend you had!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Wonderful family shots and colours, Judy. I've never been able to get that excited about pumpkins, I must admit (and it's only relatively recently that they've started to get 'big' in the UK) - but I think I'm with you on the coffee. And I do take comfort from the way you spell 'gaol' - the correct way, of course! I'm a bit slow, so it took awhile to realise what you meant by 'gender reveal'! Interesting approach - I can't see it catching on in East Finchley, though... :-)

Lynne said...

I always enjoy seeing, hearing about your family!
Like the reveal party pic.
Best picture ever, the YELLOW near your front porch.
My random thing this week, making Sisal Pumpkins.
Love these mini creations!
We dipped to Real Frost On The Pumpkin . . . this morning. 10.18.18

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I love your family (never met them, of course, but I can "tell!") and your photos. Your muffins sound wonderful, but I will leave out the chocolate chips. And here's how I'd answer those questions:
1 Pumpkin Custards (just posted today), 2 Loose leaf black tea, 3 Not sure, 4 Small fish in a big pond; actually, small fish in a small pond! 5 Not really, and No.

Mrs.T said...

Just a fun read today, Judy! I so enjoyed reading all about your early Thanksgiving fun. Your family is beautiful and so is that gorgeous yellow tree in the top photo. The muffins sound fantastic, and I will be trying them.

Snow here (just a dusting, nearly gone now) this morning and very cold temps. With wind chill it was around 25º when I went out for a walk at 10 am. Not predicted to get out of the 30s all day!

This N That said...

It's beautiful there. Our leaves have not yet begun to change. Happy early Thanksgiving. The muffins sound wonderful. Great looking family there. Enjoy your day.

Debby Ray said...

Oh that yellow tree in all of it's glory! Just stunning! Loved your answer to #4 and all the rest of that gorgeous fall scenery. And how much fun was your early Thanksgiving?? It's pretty evident it was the highlight of your year...loved all the family videos and pics! And what a cool way to reveal the baby's gender...I love it!

Susie said...

Judy, I loved seeing your porch and the beautiful trees. All your pictures are so nice. Sleeping brown cows. :) Beautiful grandkids and wonderful families. Some s getting a new boy baby...so wonderful. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What fun family time....I sure miss things like this. And you have some beautiful color now...well except for that WHITE color! heehee! I may have to try this recipe. It's something I could probably eat...without any sweetener. Enjoy your afternoon!

Lady Fi said...

Gorgeous autumn colours!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Autumn looks beautiful where you live! Beautiful photos of your children and grandchildren. Those cows look very content and you muffin recipe sound delicious.

We also had snow--at least 4 inches and a deep freeze for a couple days. Now back to sunny warm skies. I love autumn!

Cheryl said...

This "medley" was chock full of fun stuff!

Coffee is what I'd stockpile too! Loved your word picture of coffee beans in the guest room. :D I am also totally with you on the word games! But my favorite is #6 with all the photos of your beautiful family and the new grandbaby and the gender reveal and the happy family celebration!

Red Rose Alley said...

Your home is charming with the big tree and the golden Autumn leaves, Judy. I love that cow picture, and I love your answer to number 2. Yes, coffee beans! Me being a coffee lover, I smiled big when I read what you said. This picture of your grandkids is a treasure, Judy. Autumn is beautiful around your neck of the woods. Enjoy the rest of the October days.

~Sheri

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails