Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Hodgepodging July in Wisconsin


I don't know how I could have lived in this area for so many years and not known that the red barn above even exists - and right in a residential section of Rice Lake. I'm sure that it was part of a farm that has long since been replaced by homes, sidewalks, curb and gutter. I hope the cute little weathered barn stands for many years to come. I'll check in on it from time to time. I'd sure hate to see it disappear. For any who know Rice Lake, it's just a little NE of the armory.

Join Joyce and the Gang
for

 She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!



1. We've reached edition number 315 here in the Wednesday Hodgepodge. So tell us, what were you doing at 3:15 yesterday? Is that typical? On a scale of 1-10 (with 1 being low and 10 being high) what's your energy level usually like at 3:15 PM?

First of all, Joyce, it is amazing that you have come up with 315 weeks worth of Hodgepodge questions. That is quite a feat. And I know we all appreciate your dedication! Thank you!

I have no idea. That was about three weeks ago - it seems. It's been a busy week already. I was probably eating some almonds and a bite of very dark chocolate. On a scale of 1-10, my energy level at 3:15 PM is about 6, with it dropping to -5 after eating dinner, often with an ensuing nap. I pretty much sleep in installments, rather than one long stretch. That's why it's nice to have my Kindle close at hand at 4 AM.


2. A frisbee, a tantrum, a towel, a party, a punch, or a curveball...which have you most recently thrown or had thrown at/for you? Elaborate.

No tantrum, no throwing in the towel, no parties until August 5, etc. etc. I can't think of anything I've thrown anywhere, except for throwing clothes into the wash.


3. What are three things that would help you right now. Tell us how or why.

1. Self-cleaning floors
2. Self-cleaning bathrooms
3. Self-linens-changing beds
Family coming.

4. Do you think you're strong? Why or why not? What makes you strong?

I'm probably strong in most ways except physically, but that's improving. There is an exception, however, when Mr. C. walks into the room unexpectedly (SNEAKING IN) and I'm reduced to a 'mass of screaming, quivering jelly,' I think he calls it. I know he loves doing that, but of course he says it's completely unintentional that he scares me half to death! If that's true, then why does he ALWAYS have a grin on his face afterwards?? 

But I'd say that any strength emotionally that I might have is because I believe in a sovereign, loving God.


5. Do you enjoy reading historical fiction? What's your favorite book set sometime in the past?

Fiction isn't my favorite thing. I've forced myself to read some of it and enjoyed Jane Austen and others, but it's not my first choice. However, if I read fiction, it would be historical fiction. My recent favorite that I can think of right now is Pillars of the Earth about the building of a cathedral (like Canterbury Cathedral.) It was a lot of fiction but also in an historical context and was entertaining, plus I haven't met a cathedral I didn't love. I just started reading the sequel, World Without End - in between non-fiction stuff.




6. Insert your own random thought here.

 times two

I've just committed to renting two pontoon boats for the afternoon of the birthday party weekend. Should be fun. In August we have our family reunion, a bridal shower for our granddaughter, a wedding, and the next three or four weekends after that are also busy. This is Wisconsin in the summertime. We cram everything into the summer (six birthdays in July and August!) so we can spend all long, cold winter doing nothing at all except complaining about the icy roads and ash from burning wood and having to go anywhere after dinner. It's DARK.



Backyard, Christmas Day, 2013
And of course it just accumulates until sometime in March or April
I really dread this. 


Linking to Maggie's Mosaic Monday
and Eileen's Saturday's Critters
 

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 
'Cranberry Tea'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

Moisturizing and Gentle
Luxurious lather
No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Mild fragrance



...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram @cranberrymorning 

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Judy

'Get him off me! I was here first!!!'
(Tommy & Smokey)



36 comments:

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
If you find the self cleaning floors, bathrooms, and self changing sheets, send me a memo! ;-)
I am excited for all your family fun coming your way!
Love, Carla

Arlene G said...

When you find a company that sells all those self cleaning things, please let me know.:) Have fun with your family!!

Vee said...

Oh that self-cleaning bit was good. Is Mr. C. just making sure your heart is being jumpstarted on a regular basis? That's the standard response in these parts to jumping a person. I still don't like it. I have been using your kitty photos to try to tempt my daughter to get siblings
from the same litter. She thinks adopting an older cat and a kitten is the way to go. Then when the old cat "goes," she'll get a new kitten and thus never be without a cat again.

Happy family times! Sounds like fun...

Debby Ray said...

Well, I racked my brain about the 3 things to help you now question and never once even considered your ideas. I could really use some self-painting woodwork and doors about now. Loved you beautiful barn photos as always. The pontoon boat birthday bash sounds like tons of fun...enjoy the time with your family!

Marcia said...

Judy, I have found the self cleaning items here at Vantage House, our retirement community. This was an unexpected surprise when we moved here. Discovered it when the residency counselor asked what size bed we had. We wondered why she wanted to know and she told us because they provide the linens and fresh towels each week when our apartment is to be cleaned. Wow! When we travel and need sheets or towels for a rental, or when we have company over to sleep on the queen sized futon or twin blow up we just asked for sheets and towels for them. It is marvelous.

MadSnapper said...

get him off me, I am ROFA.. love it. I read a lot of historical fiction many years ago and I always loved the 1700 to 1800. now I read only the Now fiction. I have never read a nonfiction book except for a few they forced me to read in highschool.
have fun with the family and the pontoons... like all the others, let me know if you find anything at all that is self cleaning. what would make me happy is a housekeeper/cook..

Cheryl said...

Oh, so Mr. C. is one of those! (The sort who loves to sneak up on their loved ones and scare the thunder out of them.) My son was (is) one of those. But revenge is sweet! My oldest daughter and I still laugh about his reaction when we successfully turned the tables on him. (Can you hear me laughing at the thought of it?) :D

I like your answers to #3. Indeed those would be helpful! Even without your helpers though, I know you're getting excited about all the happy occasions that are soon to come!

NanaDiana said...

My son/grandson are both- "let's give mom/nana a heart-attack" sort of guys. Drives me nuts and scares the devil out of me sometimes (well, the devil is never scared too far away, obviously)...lol

We cram everything we can into summer here, too. Just crazy....we have lots of rain here today though so I will be doing inside stuff.

Hope you have a blessed day- xo Diana

Chatty Crone said...

I love that red barn and it does seem to be taken care of. Have now idea what I did yesterday! lol Sounds like you have some wonderful things and activities coming up in August. I would love to go on a pontoon boat. You had all this wonderful warm photos and then that snow - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! sandie

21 Wits said...

I love running into these unexpected finds, that have been right there before my eyes. I can see how you could miss it, because you do travel and share a bunch of places and things and then all your family time! This red barn is a wonderful gift for us too! Thanks.

Kim said...

Ah...the self cleaning house, sign me up, too, please! I have a house full of teenagers in the summer time and they are sadly not always self-cleaning. ;) Love your Instagram, can't believe I have never been to your blog! Enjoy your family fun.

Joyce said...

Soak up every minute of August goodness you can. Sounds like lots of fun plans this month. Happy pontooning, and enjoy your family and all the celebrations!

Trudy said...

I have been to Rice Lake, but have never seen the barn. I will make a point of looking next time I am there.
I felt privileged to have a self cleaning oven. I never thought to ask for the other self cleaners. What a great idea!
I, too, have a startle reflex. Not just my husband can trigger it. The other day at the eye doctor the assistant called my name, and I jumped and screamed a little.

ellen b. said...

Well those things in #3 would be nice! We have the changing of the guests happening here right now, a kind of revolving door where you've got to stay ahead on the linens. Looks like some good fun heading your way. Enjoy.

Terra said...

You found a beautiful classic red barn. I like the idea of the pontoon boats; my sister used some in her marriage celebration on a small Wisconsin lake.

Debbie said...

I need to jump back on the hodgepodge....soon. Enjoyed your answers. Your plans for the month while busy for sure sound soo good. Enjoy!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Always love your barn photos. Almonds and dark chocolate sound really good to me right now. I like your list of three things! Wow, you are really busy. Those boat should be fun and I hope all your parties are enjoyable.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

Your post was full of great photography and humor as always. The self list should have been mine as well. I'm finding if self doesn't do it, it doesn't get done. It sounds like your August is a time to anticipate and enjoy to the fullest. Can't wait to read about all your goings on.

Empty Nester said...

Your husband sounds like a hoot! Your photos are just wonderful as always. I'll take self-cleaning ones of all those you mentioned. Y'all cram it all in the summer, I wait until December and January. Where's the happy medium? Never mind, I'd probably complain about that, too. LOL I can't wait to see the pictures from all the August festivities! And those kitties. :)

Unknown said...

Make hay while the sunshines, is what I was thinking reading this post. I'm a hermit during our long hot humid summers in Arizona, but looking at the last picture of your backyard, I shivered, Brrrr. I love your picture of your little kitties:).
Kathleen in Az
The 2 books you mention, I read both of them, very good reads.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Sounds like you are in for busy family times ahead, Judy. I love that you are going on the lake for some of your time with them. My husband scares me like that sometimes and gets that same grin as he says he didn't mean to! Ha! I loved Pillars of the Earth, but have not read World Without End. I must fix that. Have a great evening. xo ♥

Barbara said...

Your photos of the red barn are wonderful. Like so many others, I LOVE red barns!

Your photo of the picnic table buried under the snow -- I know that scene very well. However, I don't expect to see any snow in person this next winter . . . . . (smile)

Terri D said...

Pontoon boats are SO much fun! Great idea! I really loved Pillars of the Earth and have read it twice. Great story!

A Joyful Chaos said...

I never thought I'd get to this point, but I'm finding myself enjoying fiction less and less. I still have a few series that the characters feel like old friends, but a lot of the new ones I try reading aren't holding my attention as they would have several years ago. I don't know why that is.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I like yur idea of the self cleaning items. I could use them here too. I love your red barn images, the cattle and the cute kitties. The pontoon boat sounds like a great party. My favorite reads are mysteries, I even enjoy watching the real life mysteries on TV. Great answers and photos. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

SImple and Serene Living said...

How fun that you found that wonderful red barn so close by. I would love a day on a pontoon boat. xo Laura

Ann said...

Thanks for the cold reminder of cramming everything in to summer and hating those long winters. As I sit here in AZ, sweating non-stop at 105 plus humidity during the monsoon, looking at dirt or mud, I remember this is my winter where we hole up. Being from Wisconsin for 29 years, I so miss weather, green, flowers, and barns, but reminding myself that I have 9 months of weather that is livable.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, Tommy almost looks a bit Lionelish in that photo! I love pontoon boats. My dad lived on a lake and had a big one, 28 feet long, with roof over most of it so shade for everyone. Very customized. Lots of room. He made a special swimming ladder, a gazillion times better than any you can buy, for the benefit of my aunt. Good times. Have fun!

Lynne said...

and I see the snow and think . . . can't wait . . . my favorite still!
Love the red barn . . .
I grab a nod, sleep, whenever . . . with iPad near by . . . five-ish here . . .

eileeninmd said...

Hello Judy, I wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up your post. I always love to see the cattle and barn scenes. Your kitties are adorable. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful barn and animal photography ~ my favorite, though, are two kitties ~ adorable ~ ^_^

Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

Cindy said...

You really do have busy summers, but they sound like a lot of fun! (Wow that's a lot of snow!)

A Colorful World said...

I really adore beautiful barn, and am so glad you found it. Enjoyed your post...I have trouble just sharing five things! :-) Your recent read sounds so interesting!

Inspired By June said...

Those red barn shots are just fabulous, Judy! Have a wonderful birthday weekend - pontoon boating is so fun!

RobertN said...

Beautiful post.

Tanna said...

Ahhh, your August is like our June and July. ;) Wishing you all WONDERFUL celebrations!! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails