Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Hodgepodging Childhood Memories


 My maternal grandma as a teen
She was at least one generation removed from the photo grin.
And I wouldn't smile either - with that stiff collar choking me!


Join Joyce and the Gang
for


She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!



1. Growing up, were you close to your grandparents? Tell us one or two specific things you remember about them.

Oh yes, I was close to both sets of grandparents. I remember my maternal grandma bringing bananas and doll clothes out to the farm, I remember her sweet nature and her love of Jesus, her leading Child Evangelism classes in her home, and her generosity to her neighbors even though she certainly did not have an extra penny to her name. Even so, she paid for me to take a taxi from her house to my piano lesson (in town), gave me old copies of McCall's magazine so I could cut out the Betsy McCall paper dolls, fed me raspberry sauce as a treat, etc. etc. And I mostly remember that her house was cluttered and INTERESTING. (Take that, you spartans!)

My paternal grandma kept nothing extra, but she made up for it (having a kind of boring house) by making great homemade bread (and putting butter AND salt on it), teased my grandpa about the fact that he spoke Swedish when he was a kid, had a very dry sense of humor which I loved, and gave me fond memories of her - AND of my grandpa, whom I remember praying in church and crying as he prayed. Because he was an emotional person? No. He was a humble man who loved God, who was overwhelmed by the realization that God became man to rescue him (and all of us) from ourselves, from our sin, from eternal death - because God so loves the world. And I'm totally with my grandpa on that. It never ceases to choke me up.

You really got me with these first two questions, Joyce, and you can consider yourself lucky that my answers aren't longer than they are!

 Shammar looked kinda like this horse, 
with a white blaze the length of his face.

2. What's an item you were attached to as a child? What happened to it?

First, I was attached to my horse, Shammar, who kept me slightly scared of him the entire time, although I loved him. He was Arabian/Welsh and beautiful, scared of butterflies and would freak out if a fly or butterfly flew past him as I was riding. Then I had to simply hang on for dear life as he bolted back to the barn. I can't tell you how many times that happened. Sometimes I wasn't lucky enough to stay on and had to brush myself off and walk back to the barn. You can tell I wasn't a great horsewoman, but I loved that horse enough to decorate his side of the calf barn with photos of other horses, took him sugar lumps and carrots, etc. He totally didn't deserve me.  And when I was out of school, my dad sold him to some people in a neighboring village. I don't know whatever happened to him.

Secondly, I was attached to my shoebox full of baseball cards. All the best players: Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Bobby Richardson, Hank Aaron, Juan Marichal, Roberto Clemente, etc. etc. etc. And my mom threw them out the year I was in Bolivia. I've complained about this before, so I'll let it go without piling on. But they would have been worth something today. See? It pays to keep stuff.

 Henry and Mr. C. playing frisbee in the south yard

3. When you look out your window, do you see the forest or the trees (literally and figuratively)? Explain.

Literally, I see the forest. This is rural Wisconsin. Figuratively, although I love detail, I think I'm pretty good at seeing the forest, the bigger picture, and try to look at all angles of a situation and being willing to admit that I was wrong. Or that I've been wrong for years.

Greek Yogurt with Raspberries!
The raspberries in the garden are ripe about three weeks earlier than usual.

4. Do you like sour candies? Which of the 'sour' foods listed below would you say is your favorite?

No, I don't like sour candies, except for the sugared sour gummy things, whose name escapes me, but I don't go out of my way to buy them. If they happened to be the only candy in the house, I might eat a couple - if all the chocolate chips were gone.

grapefruit, Greek yogurt, tart cherries, lemons, limes, sauerkraut, buttermilk, or kumquats 

I don't think of Greek Yogurt as being sour, but I do love it - and tart cherries.

Have you ever eaten a kumquat? What's your favorite dish containing one of the sour foods on the list?

Not a fan of kumquats. I would love a tart cherry pie, but I'd probably be eating it all by myself while Mr. C. ate a bag of salty chips. So I'll pass on that one.

 The gluten-free cherry pie I made for July Fourth
I wasn't thrilled with the crust, but the cherries were good.
GF dough is nearly impossible to weave because it breaks.
And guess who ate most of the pie. Somebody had to get rid of it.

5. July 1st marked the mid point of 2017. In fifteen words or less, tell us how it's going so far.

Like every summer in Wisconsin, it's going far too fast.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

 One of my favorite places:
The Amish community near Westby, WI

 Another Barn Raising nr. Westby

 I made the mistake of draping a fresh-clean blanket over the bench.
Tommy and Smokey, cute as usual


Linking to Maggie's Mosaic Monday

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE


 'Raining Violets'

Natural Vegan Soap

Olive oil, Castor Oil, etc.
Moisturizing, delicious fragrance
Gentle soap, Luxurious lather
No harsh chemicals
No animal products

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

37 comments:

MadSnapper said...

one of my favorite things I kept for years was a suitcase FULL of paper dolls, and Betsy McCall was in there. my maiden name is McCall... nope, no relation, but I thought we did... loved my maternal grandma most, the other one I remember but not well, she lived next door until I was 10 and that was the last I saw her.. I am my maternal grandmother as if we were peas in a pod... she was just like my dad, only she was my mothers mother. we all did a lot of arguing since we were 3 peas in a pod.. I was 28 when she died. I love that whole list of sour stuff and eat Greek yougurt every day. I don't count it as sour either. enjoyed all your answers today. I love kumquats, my grandmother here had lemons, oranges, mangos, kumquats and the other tiny orang things I can't remember the name of and cherries. all in her yard. no wonder I loved her

MadSnapper said...

the other fruit was loquats, even more sour. this has stirred up a lot of memories..

Sandi said...



Such serious posing going on in that photo! I guess smiling was undignified? Or maybe they had to hold the pose for so long this was easier? In the far off future, when people look back at our photos of today, they will wonder what we were all so happy about. ;-)







Arlene G said...

Judy, I loved the story of your grandparents. I try to do things for my grands that they will remember when they are grown ups.

Vee said...

Well, see, one memory sparks another...one of my grandmothers had an interesting house and the other had a clean house. =) I love the description of your grandfather praying. John was like that.

Love the turn of a phrase...Of your horse who so did not deserve you.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a great photo of your grandparents. I have trouble smiling for the camera too. I love the pretty horses and your sweet kitties. Great shot of the frisbee playing. It is great you are making long lasting memories with your grandchildren. I think Greek yogurt is really sour, I have to have fruit mixed in. Wishing you a happy day!

Empty Nester said...

My first answer could have been way longer, too. Your answer reminded me how we went to church every Sunday and sat in the very same pew in the very same spots every single time. My grandmother sang loud and proud but Granddaddy didn't. He did let me put the offering in the plate every Sunday. It was always a little more than the 10%. I loved going to church with them. I love that picture of your grandparents. Your grandmother was absolutely beautiful. My mother threw out all my stuff that might have been worth something. The horse that didn't deserve you...LOL Cherry pie is good, isn't it? Oh, those kitties. They are a hoot!

Stacy said...

What a wonderful memory of your grandfather! As someone whose family insisted on church attendance, but had no real relationship with the Lord, himself, I stand in awe of families who have carried on such strong faith through the generations.

Mrs.T said...

Beautiful memories of your grandparents, Judy! You are so blessed to have those memories of grandparents who knew and loved the Lord.

My grandmother saved McCalls for me too, for the same reason. I had a huge box of paper dolls including many I had made myself. I had a Betsy McCall Fashion Designer kit (with a light box that I still use) with which I made literally dozens of dolls and outfits, not to mention those that I made (without the kit) for my standard paper dolls using colored pages cut from magazines.

Stephanie said...

Oh Judy, what a wonderful post filled with sweet and rich memories! I so enjoyed today's Hodgepodge. Grandparents...such blessings from the Lord!

Your pie looks oh-so-tasty and the crust looks very soft and flaky. YUM!

Hugs to you!

Trudy said...

You reminded me of the paper dolls. I wonder if girls today still play with them. The neighborhood ladies would give me their magazines to cut Betsy out of.
A Wisconsin summer is much like summer in Minnesota. Poof and it is gone!

Creations By Cindy said...

Loving the hodge podge today.

1. Growing up, were you close to your grandparents? Tell us one or two specific things you remember about them.
Oh my! I adored my grandparents. They practically raised me and several other siblings matter of fact. I have so many wonderful memories about them. One being that because of them my somewhat dysfunctional childhood became normal and I was allowed to grow up knowing that God loved me. I praise God for grandparents that step up to the plate to care for their grandchildren in order to give them a healthy life. God is good.

2. What's an item you were attached to as a child? What happened to it?
The only thing that comes to mind was a Indian Doll that was almost tall as me at the time. I thought she was the prettiest thing I had ever saw. Well, besides my new shiny red bike with a bell and basket on it. LOL! It is kind of crazy as the things I was truly attached to and still am to this day was a camera of some kind!

3. When you look out your window, do you see the forest or the trees (literally and figuratively)? Explain.

Oh I have tons of trees when you look our my window, especially my kitchen window. But you can look out my front door and see woods, woods, woods. Living in the country has it's benefits.

4. Do you like sour candies? Which of the 'sour' foods listed below would you say is your favorite? (grapefruit, Greek yogurt, tart cherries, lemons, limes, sauerkraut, buttermilk, or kumquats) Have you ever eaten a kumquat? What's your favorite dish containing one of the sour foods on the list? Love me some sweet tarts and lemon heads. I like icebox lemon or lime pies that has just a tad of tart going on.

5. July 1st marked the mid point of 2017. In fifteen words or less, tell us how it's going so far. Well, like you, HOT! Good grief I do not like HOT weather. It is going good so far and will be better in a few days when my family hits the beach for 7 days. But so far in July several things has been accomplished. A call for a Pastor for my church has come to a close after ten long months of me serving on the Pastor search team. Our new Pastor will begin August 6 and I am so excited. My middle daughter celebrated a birthday and an anniversary. Our Vacation Bible School will be coming to an end this Thursday. And....I have enjoyed the best tomatoes ever from my little garden.

6. Insert your own random thought here.
One more day until my vacation officially begins!

So much fun today. Glad I could join you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

maddie/cadesmimi said...

I loved your memories of your grandparents! So sweet.
My grandma gave me her old McCall magazines, too! I loved those little Betsy McCall paper dolls :)
Kathy (Reflections)

Debby Ray said...

Oh what precious memories of your grandparents...you are so blessed to have these memories. I don't thank many folks smiled for pictures back in the told days and I wish I knew the answer as to why not. You are tempting me with that yummy yogurt and raspberries AND even more with the tart cherry pie...YUM! Loved your hodgepodge today, Judy!

Debby Ray said...

think...not thank (I know I live in the south but I'm not THAT southern! LOL)

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Judy, your memories of your grandfather praying is quite touching. Grandparents have quite an influence on the modeling of our future. I pray for those positive influences with my grands. I love picturing you riding your horse! What a great childhood you had. ♥

Sister in the Mid-west said...

I am glad I joined Hodgepodge this week. I really enjoyed reading your answers. I love the fact that your memories of your Grandparents included their love and service to our savior Jesus Christ. What a rich heritage!

Nonnie said...

I absolutely loved your memories of your grandparents and they conjured up more about mine. I need to go back and write a special blog about my grandparents because so many memories there. My Granny loved Jesus too and I am so thankful for the godly examples in my life. The Greek yogurt with raspberries look delicious as does the cherry our. Dark chocolate chips are my go to snack.

Lynne said...

Your memories of your grandparents, triggered my own memories.
"Little gramma" was the name for my grandmother.
Catherine by name, also nicknamed "Kitty".
I remember her vividly and my grandfather.
Really have memories of grandparents on both sides . . .
Sunday dinners, cousins, gatherings, visiting them, getting home sick, ham, dressing up for dinner . . .

No sour candies for me . . . Chocolate . . . Mister Irish is my Pie Guy. Pie doesn't interest me much.

Dreadfully hot here, high humidity! Scheduled my youngest grand to work here trimming trees . . .
Too warm, we put it off for a few days!
M

Michelle said...

I also love those sugar covered sour gummy worm things. Delish!

ellen b. said...

It was good to read your hodgepodge. My father tears up when he prays, too. Hope you are having a good week!

Terri D said...

It has been fun reading about everyone's grandparents in the Hodgepodge today! I always love your photos and those two kittens are so adorable.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Love the stories of your Grandparents - so sweet. I had a Welsh pony that was just as wild as yours :) I am craving cherry pie now.....love the photos. x

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Loved that, Judy. You're lucky to have such special memories - they sound like marvelous people. Loved the photos too - especially the one with the frisbee. It cracks me up that you call it a 'yard'!

podso said...

Enjoyed your grandparent memories. I hope my grands have a few good memories like that! I would never tire of that view out my window! Beautiful. Hope you're having a good week!

Cathy said...

I love going to Amish areas and seeing the laundry hanging out like in your picture. I think it makes such a lovely picture.

Terra Heck said...

I love looking at older photos. It's great that you had a close relationship with your grandparents. I loved my grandfather for the same reason you loved yours. I was always in awe of his humble spirit and love for the Lord.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, loved your grandparent memories. Loved my grands! Always happy to see a beautiful barn being built, maintained or added to.

Joyce said...

It's funny you mentioned your grandparents home as cluttered, but to a child interesting. I think that is so true, and know my kids would say the same of their trips to hubs parent's home. Tiny and full of treasures : ) Now I'm craving raspberries. The color is perfection!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

You reminded me of several childhood enjoyments; McCall paperdolls and baseball cards. I even cut out Sear Robuck paperdolls and had my favorite models. I even created families for them and gave each family a house with cutout furnishings. I also wonder what those baseball cards would bring today. Loved the memories shared of your grandparents. What a blessing they were to you! Oh to be that for our grands, huh.

Cheryl said...

I loved paper dolls as a child. My sister and I would play with our paper dolls for hours sometimes! (Some of my favorites were my Lennon Sisters paper dolls.)

Interestingly, my youngest daughter also had an affinity for paper dolls. Of course, they've changed over the years to include self-stick clothes, magnetic clothes, and other variations, but she dearly loved to play with any kind. We have saved many of hers for her own children to play with some day. Bekah's favorites were her Civil War/Southern Belle paper dolls with all of their fancy gowns and accessories!

Loved reading about your grandparents!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Loved what you shared about your grandparents. Sorry about those baseball cards. It does pay to save things from the past. It won't be quite the same in the future with things today. Yep, greek yogurt and raspberries is the best! Enjoy your weekend.

Cindy said...

Such special memories of your grandparents. I especially liked the grandpa who cried in church because he knew exactly what the Lord had done for him. Some days the realization can be overwhelming.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I knew from the title that I was going to enjoy this post as always love family history, and of course I did.

But I left craving cherry pie.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I knew from the title that I was going to enjoy this post as always love family history, and of course I did.

But I left craving cherry pie.

BeachGypsy said...

Enjoyed reading your sweet memories! The kitties are very appreciative of the nice fresh clean blanket you've provided especially for THEM! ha ha LOL--I'm sure that's how they view it, right? LOL Oh you had paper dolls too?---How I loved them, and my Ma-Maw saved her magazines for when I came so I could get my Betsy McCalls out---the little girls of today dont have that and I think it's sad. We spent hours with our paper dolls and when I would visit, my Ma-Maw would buy me a new set at the drugstore, there were MANY TO CHOOSE FROM, so it was a hard choice! They were awful pretty back in the day, weren't they? There were brides in their long lacey gowns, with bridesmaids in pink satin, and pretty flowers---a going away corsage for the bride as she left on her honeymoon! There were Civil War ones, with big hoop skirts and big fancy bonnets. There were "career girl" ones---with the doll having several office type suits and very businesslike crisp white blouse, and pumps! Later on there were "groovy" fashion paper dolls, with go-go boots and mini skirts! As you can tell..........I loved the paper dolls!

Aritha said...

Love to see the old photo! But also the other pics. Thanks you so much for writing you memories out. So great that you remember that your maternal grandma was bringing bananas and doll clothes to the farm. Bananas? Why?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails