Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Hodgpodging A Holiday

 

I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July, celebrating the good old U.S.A.  On the past weekend, we had family here, so on the actual Fourth, we spent without family and instead walked the Red Cedar Trail in Menomonie. It was a gorgeous day for it!

The following are a few pics from when some of the family was here and we took the kids to Sand Creek, WI, where there's a beautiful, wadable creek (about which I've written in the past.)





 Sand Creek, Wisconsin

Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 312

Click HERE to join Joyce and the Gang

for Hodgepodge Wednesday.

Happy July 4th Hodgepodgers! And if you're joining in from outside the US of A, then happy Tuesday! Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog then jump back here tomorrow to share answers with all your friends and neighbors.

Also, there's a little something going on with Photo Bucket right now causing my button (and thousands of other bloggers buttons, headers, content, etc ) to look a little funny. Until my IT department aka Daughter1 gets it sorted it's fine to just link to my blog without the button this week.

Here we go-

1. When and where were the best fireworks you've ever seen? Speaking of fireworks...do you know your hot buttons? The things people can say and/or do to set you off? When was the last time someone pushed one of your hot buttons?

Barron, Wisconsin. Because we were there with friends and had lots of popcorn and Twizzlers and the kids were playing games in the school yard. Hot buttons? People who leave their dogs outdoors in HOT or FREEZING weather and who don't provide fresh water for them and don't take them for walks. People who don't scoop their cats' litter boxes every day (or more often). People who tell me I'm obsessive about my pets. LOL  Actually, life has been pretty calm lately, no hot buttons pushed in the recent past. People are getting smarter, I guess. :-) Except for Wisconsin Public Television and Wisconsin Public Radio who seem obsessed with gender identity, fluidity, etc. etc. etc. What is the deal anyway?? 

 And don't they look thrilled that Grandma's taking their picture!


2. Have you hosted any outdoor summer parties this year? Attended any? What makes for a great outdoor party?

When I read this week's Hodgepodge questions, I wondered if this was the week I clue you all in to the fact that I really am a boring person (in case any among you hasn't yet caught on). Parties aren't my thing. Occasionally I'll host a party, but haven't done so in a long time. A great outdoor party is one that is far enough away that I don't have to hear it and one I'm not obligated to attend. On the other hand, I do love visiting with one or two or a few people at a time.

 Tending to the bluegills,
Taking them to the garden pond.

3. What does freedom mean to you?
Freedom means, first and foremost, freedom in King Jesus, who gives me freedom from guilt, shame, and fear, freedom from sin and death. As Lord of the Universe, he lives and reigns today and forever, and I love the freedom that I have to be myself and not have to prove anything to anyone, that I am completely acceptable to God because of Jesus. And I love the joy that freedom brings me every single day.

Secondly, freedom means freedom of thought, freedom of expression, freedom of speech, etc. which are precious and which need to be protected from overzealous legislators who would like to make a law about everything.

 Yes, we need to get the lattice installed.


4. July is National Cell Phone Courtesy month...what annoys you most about people's cell phone habits?

Of course, the thing that bothers me the most is talking on a cell phone or texting while driving. The other thing is when I'm in a store and someone is walking around, getting their groceries or whatnot and talking (loudly) on their phones so that everyone is informed of their business.


5. What's your current summer anthem?

Anthem? Is this another trend that I'm not privy to?? 


6.  Insert your own random thought here. 

          
Over the weekend we played Monopoly with the kids. I'm not the best player because I wait to buy particular properties, such as Piccadilly and Strand and Trafalgar, rather than being strategic about the whole thing. It's why I'm terrible at Scrabble: I'm working at constructing a GREAT word while everyone else is winning because they're putting down boring little four letter words. Sigh.

ANYWAY, that's not what I was going to tell you. This little boy in the photos above wanted to play Monopoly. It ended up being played on parts of two days. He is a real trooper. As you can see in the first frame, he is quite glum about having to pay rent to a greedy, meany landlord and he has no property. He's sure he's going to lose.

The last frame shows a happy boy who is winning, who I think got all of Grandma's Monopolies (yellow and red cards) at the end. He was a delight to play Monopoly with and has an incredible attention span.
***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Enchanted
Oakmoss, Patchouli, and Lavender

Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap
No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Gentle and Mild
Great lather!
 

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

27 comments:

Sylvia said...

The little ones are precious, Judy. Love your hosta.

Sandi said...

Love the photos!

Sand Creek..that is stunning!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your grandkids are all adorable. Love the shot of the creek. We celebrated early with my son and his girl and also had a quiet 4th of July. Have a great day and week ahead!

Joyce said...

Love a creek in the woods! I played a game of Harry Potter Clue with my 11 year old nephew recently and it was hard : ) So many more nuances and rules and things to remember than the original version. I didn't win-ha! Have a great day!

Vee said...

A two-day Monopoly game? That is incredible attention span not to mention stamina! Loved the trio of grands, two of whom are really just barely hanging in there. LOL! I'd say that we are pretty much on the same page regarding #3. Have a happy week, Judy!

Cheryl said...

Awwww . . . I love your fun family photos! Good times! I also love the faces of the Monopoly player. It is nice that Grandma could help with the transformation to happy. :)

P.S. I play Scrabble games with some Facebook friends. It was so difficult to learn the strategy of layering and making multiple (short-ish) words. Like you, I wanted to play a great word! (But I also wanted to win, so I started playing words like "za" and "xi.")

MadSnapper said...

if is said in comments everything I am thinking my comment would be longer than your post. I loved every word and every photos. will try to shorten my thoughts.
Favorite Photo is the 3 kids that look like WHATEVER grandma
LOVE your lattice work on your porch.. LOL
I want to wade in that creek.
your hot buttons are my hot buttons plus I have a zillion others.
texting/talking while driving and walking in store is a BIG hot button. also answer cell phone 4 times in an hour while we are eating lunch together is a big hot button.
I agree with both your freedoms, but mine that popped first was that I am free to walk and leave home and come home and go where I want when I want. my upbringing was very 'contained' and tightly controlled. my freedom is free from restraints of other people and God blessed me with a hubby who lets me be free and doesn't mind at all....love your post today

Debby Ray said...

I'd like to play in that creek too! I agree with everything you said in your hot button answer. There were many things people do these days that make me wonder what is wrong with them. I think every kid need to learn to play monopoly :) As always, your pics are lovely and your grands are just adorable. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Chatty Crone said...

I love the pictures of the kids - they look like you stopped them from playing or you caught them in trouble!
Those photos are they all from your property - the stream and all - how wonderful.
Happy 4th.
sandie

Trudy said...

I love the creek. It looks so cool and refreshing. Wading is the only thing I do in the water. I really enjoy saying, "I walked across the Mississippi."

Stacy said...

Thank you for sharing all the photos. Your place brings back memories of my grandparents' home and oh, how I miss it....the farmland, the creek, the swamp-turned wildlife refuge...

You are a far, far better grandma than I. I hate Monopoly and go to great lengths to avoid it. I will say I don't mind Monopoly Jr. My kids had that and even I can stand the game for 30 minutes or so. I also don't mind the Big Bang Theory version I picked up on clearance after Christmas last year. It's kind of funny.

ellen b. said...

Good morning Judy. I enjoyed reading your answers to the hodgepodge this week. Your home is so charming. I'm with you on the loud talking in grocery stores or other stores. Oye! Have a good rest of the week!

Mrs.T said...

Great answers, Judy -- they all resonated with me, especially #3. Oh, that creek is beautiful. All the pictures are amazing as always. And I would not say you are a boring person, not in the least.

Got a chuckle out of the 3 kids -- only the oldest is the slightest bit willing to cooperate with a photo op. And another chuckle out of the poverty-stricken lad handing over his life savings to the evil landlord.

Arlene G said...

That game will teach your grandson that life is like a game, it is not always fair. And I must say your Hostas are magnificent.

Robin said...

Love the pictures.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your answer to the cell phones are two of my pet peeves also! Looks like you had a nice time with your company.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Judy, your grandson has a better attention span than I. I feel that Monopoly is a game that never ends. I love his last expression! My youngest grand does that as well and loves winning! I'm so glad you enjoyed a lovely weekend with what appears to have been with no rain! Also I love your freedom thoughts. Have a great evening. ♥

Anonymous said...

You are blessed with a beautiful family. Monopoly was one of those games that lasted too long for me! lol

Terri D said...

Monopoly...the game you love to hate and hate to love!! Great expressions you caught there! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!!

NanaDiana said...

Love your answers, Judy. I will have to look up Sand Creek, Wi and see if we ever pass close to there on any of our trips north and/or west.

I am so glad you got to spend some time with all the kids and get to engage in games with them. blessings. xo Diana

Lynne said...

Priceless photo of the three littles.
Each has a different expression.
50-60 years from now there will be some conversations about that photo.

I think you have a serious game player in the family mix!

Games . . . have you tried, BANANAGRAMS . . .

Allstarme79 said...

The whole gender fluidity thing is, I think, just peoples' way of grappling with how they feel. I don't think it needs a label. Everyone feels a little masculine and a little feminine or vice versa all the time. At least, that's how I feel.

podso said...

Sweet answers. Wow do I agree with #4. I have to learn to ignore these loud phone people as at first I think they are saying something to me. But now I may be so conditioned to it I'll ignore someone who IS speaking to me. Your grands look so attentive to the game. I'm trying to introduce Clue to ours.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, your grandson is amazing - playing a Monopoly game over two days. I do the same thing when I'm playing Scrabble - I'm always working on a great word!

Empty Nester said...

You know I love all your pictures all the time but that first one under the flag picture? That's my favorite. I hear you on the parties. We're hosting a baby shower this weekend and I'm making it a cookout because I don't want them all in my house. I don't want them outside either but I'm kinda stuck since I'm hosting. :) I can't stand Monopoly because I do not have much of an attention span. And because I live with sore losers who are worse winners. :)

Cathy said...

Great freedom answer!!! I'm not much for parties either. I'd much rather just visit with a few people at a time. So enjoyed the pictures of your grandkids. Looks like they were having a good time.

Aritha V. said...

Judy, I always enjoy your photos. My son also loves playing monopoly but I do not. In the holiday I will do it anyway. I love also what you are writing about what does freedom mean to you. I love the joy too the freedom in Jesus brings every single day. Also in hard situations. God bless you! O and the sand creek ... wish I could see it with my own eyes! Wat a nice area!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails