Friday, July 20, 2012

Anglophile Friday - Campion and Margery Allingham

 Campion, from our backyard

 'Mr. Albert Campion
Coups neatly executed.
Nothing sordid, vulgar, or plebeian.
Deserving cases preferred.
Police no object.'


 My favorites:
Case of the Late Pig
Sweet Danger
Mystery Mile
Police at the Funeral

Margery Allingham, 
English mystery writer, b. May 1904 - d. June 1966

From Wikipedia:
 

"Her first work of detective fiction was a serialized story published by the Daily Express in 1927. Entitled The White Cottage Mystery, it contained atypical themes for a woman writer of the era.

Campion and success

 

Her breakthrough occurred in 1929 with the publication of The Crime at Black Dudley. This introduced Albert Campion, albeit originally as a minor character. He returned in Mystery Mile, thanks in part to pressure from her American publishers, much taken with the character.

By now, with three novels behind her, Allingham's skills were improving, and with a strong central character and format to work from, she began to produce a series of popular Campion novels. At first she had to continue writing short stories and journalism for magazines such as The Strand Magazine, but as her Campion saga went on, her following, and her sales, grew steadily. Campion proved so successful that Allingham made him the centrepiece of another 17 novels and over 20 short stories, continuing into the 1960s.

Campion is a mysterious, upper-class character, working under an assumed name, who floats between the upper echelons of the nobility and government on one hand and the shady world of the criminal class in the United Kingdom on the other, often accompanied by his scurrilous ex-burglar servant Lugg. "

***

In the TV series, Campion was played by Peter Davison (also of Dr. Who fame, and who managed an extremely engaging portrayal of real-life character Tristan Farnon in 'All Creatures Great and Small.')  Lugg, or Magersfontein Lugg, was convincingly played by Brian Glover. I wish they would run this series again on PBS when they do a fundraiser, instead of yet another Peter, Paul, and Mary concert, a DooWop performance, or Dr. Wayne Dyer! Groan.

So, ending with a backyard photo:

 Someone left me a message on the crab apple tree,
but I haven't been able to break the code.
I think it's time to call in Albert Campion.

***


'Sweet Baby! Calendula'
All-natural, gentle soap for Baby
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch





Have a great weekend, everyone!




Photobucket

15 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

I guess PBS has to cater to all, especially when asking for money. I'm with you. A British mystery, especially set in the first half of the 20th century is my cup of tea.

Unknown said...

I have actually watched episodes of Campion.. loved it!! And as for your coded tree.. yes, definitely time to call in the pros!! lol

Heide at ApronHistory said...

That is quite the message you have on you tree! Someone was busy!!
Love Campion. Peter Davidson does such a good job. I am currently working my way through Tommy and Tuppence for the upteenth time!

Yenta Mary said...

I loved "All Creatures Great and Small!" I'll have to check out these books; I love British mysteries ....

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

I've got to tell you again, Judy, you need a gallery for all your beautiful photo's! I love looking at them and especially love the tree! Have a great weekend, my friend.

Mama Hen said...

Oh boy look at that tree! My mom always watched British mystery TV when I was growing up and I too have aquired a taste. I hope all is well! Have a great weekend!

Mama Hen

Olive said...

I love British mystery writers. I have not read these. Might look into them. Following you now:}

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Your flower photo is gorgeous! I wonder what decibel level the pecking of that tree reached?

We seem to go for the same things on television--loved that series. And, yes, c'mon PBS, let's change it up a bit on the fundraisers!

Unknown said...

That's yet another good series. Have seen a few episodes. Enjoy your weekend!

Eva

Chatty Crone said...

Hey that sounds great - if you see it on again and remember let me know. And were those bullet holes? And how is the pup? sandie

Ruth Kelly said...

Good luck on figuring out the coded message on the tree.

Denise said...

Sounds interesting.

Carla from The River said...

I love Peter Davidson!
Great photo of the tree...I like your creativity about the code. :)

laurie said...

Wow..look at your tree...what a message!

J_on_tour said...

I can't say I've seen this programme yet. I first remember Peter Davidson from All Creatures Great and Small. That pattern in the tree looks like the dots in a morse code. I'd ask for an Inspector from Oxford to check that one out !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails