Monday, July 16, 2012

Back From the Road Trip

We made it back from Indiana. While there, we spent quality time, although not a great quantity of time, with our daughter, her husband, and little Henry. So,  I had to post this photo of Henry. I just love the bows of the sunglasses over his ears. :-) Prior to that, he had them on upside down. Okay, maybe you have to be the grandma to think that's cute, but...

And of course the glasses have so many smudges from his little fingers that it's a wonder he can see through them at all!

***


Here in NW Wisconsin the corn is over 8 feet tall in places, lush and green. But the crops in Indiana  are in desperate need of rain. In fact, in many places, it's too late. Even a good rain now couldn't save the crop. The corn is stunted and stressed, and yards are brown and crisp. The leaves of trees are curling. With storms and power outages in the eastern states, wildfires in the West, and drought in the middle of the country, this is proving to be a difficult year for many.

I heard on the news that we could expect the prices of meat and cereal to increase. Are they kidding?? Have they read labels lately? Corn is an ingredient in just about everything. So I would expect that prices on 'just about everything' will increase dramatically.

***

It's good to be home, although the visit with 'the kids' was much too short (that's my opinion, not necessarily theirs) :-). Bridger and Misty, Lionel and Tuppence were very glad to see us! Our youngest son and his wife lived in the house for the four days we were gone and kept the garden watered and the animals fed. We could not have left if they'd not been willing to do that, so we are grateful to them.

***

Kids living a day away (or more) is for the birds.

***

 Alfalfa field north of the house

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer! The weather man tells me that we've had 17 days so far of high temps in the 90s. Hot and muggy, it's summer in Wisconsin.

By the way, I am so far behind in blogging and catching up with emails, that I'm hoping you'll understand if I just start from here. I look forward to reading your blogs this week!

***

And by the way, what happened to those Northern Lights we were supposed to get??  I had heard they would be seen as far south as Alabama. They certainly missed Wisconsin. We haven't seen a nice display of the Aurora Borealis for quite a few years. I was looking forward to spectacular lights.


'Honey Oatmeal'
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
Photobucket

28 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

We've got no rain, no Northern Lights ... promises, promises. The cherries were decimated, the apples aren't so hot, Indiana sounds a lot like Michigan. Prices will zoom.

But on a happier note, I can't believe how Henry is growing up! Pretty soon, you'll be posting pictures of his high school graduation! What fun to have been able to visit with everyone for awhile ... :)

Parsley said...

Love seeing babies! I may have to adopt grandbabies as my daughter said she plans to just own cats and dogs. She's still in highschool..time for God to change that plan, lol.

The fields look so lush even in your drought. Last year was BAAAAD for our state. Seems it's shifted locations this year.

Paulette said...

Welcome home!
Your little fellow with the sun glasses is a cutie, love the photo. Spending time with family is good for the soul.
I'm glad your back in blogland I've missed your post.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Little Henry is adorable! We had rain up north last weekend, but it never made it to Blue Springs. It's so horribly dry here. Welcome back!

Unknown said...

Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear of the lack of rain in parts of the Midwest.. having grown up around farm country, I understand the damage this season really has caused. At least you got to enjoy your grandson.. he's so precious!!!

Empty Nester said...

Nope. You don't have to be a grandmas to appreciate that adorable picture! I'm so glad y'all got to go for a visit! And yes, having the kids live away IS for the birds. I'm NOT a fan. Never will be.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Henry is a cutie!! Loved seeing your photos!! The crazy weather has hurt so many and like you said our pocket books are next.

Amy Burzese said...

Welcome back! And no, it's not just grandmas who think they're cute. We have had several inches of rain in north Alabama, but some corn is simply dead.

Deanna said...

Oh, what a cutie pie! I can only imagine how hard it is to not be able to see him more often.

We've had a pretty decent summer so far...at least compared to last year. We still need more rain but after last year's record-setting drought and extreme heat, I'm not complaining.

RURAL said...

Sounds like a great trip, lovely to see family again, and what a cutie.

Keeping my fingers crossed for rain for you guys.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a good trip! That pic of little Henry is too cute!

Sad about the drought in Indiana. We actually have gotten more rain this summer than last year (we had a terrible drought last year so I can relate to it). We had a terrible storm yesterday, my power went out twice. I will not complain though, we need the rain!

Welcome back!

:)

Rachel said...

Not sure why my comment is showing as "Anonymous", I'm logged in Blogger. So weird. Well, that previous comment is from me!

:)
Rachel

J_on_tour said...

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed the trip albeit a short one. It seems like we have all the rain here as everyone seems to be complaining about the weather with no improvement predicted from the weathermen ! Having said that, the BBC weather site noted earlier today that Tynemouth was the third highest hotspot in the UK at a massive ... 17 celsius !!

Denise said...

Welcome home. Henry is so cute.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Your part of the state certainly looks better then ours! I don't know when we have been more then I month with out rain. Can you beleive it? here in this soggy part of the state?! We did get rain finaly on Thursday for about 20 mineuts. I don't think it will save the crops, but it was nice.

jennyfreckles said...

I think he's cute too. The sunglasses with a strap look a good idea.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I can't wait to see my granddaughter this weekend! And, yes, your Henry is a doll.

I dread the cost of food coming in the next months. They are already crazy high! =(

Debra Hawkins said...

He is such a doll! I think it is a kid thing to wear the sunglasses upside down, my little girl wears them like that all the time!

Ruth Kelly said...

Welcome back; we all missed you. We are actually having a thunder bumper today.

Ruth Kelly said...

Welcome back; we all missed you. We are actually having a thunder bumper today.

Amy said...

Your Grandson is adorable. What a nice road trip to spend time with the family! :) I think the quality is definitely more important than quantity....in many aspect. ;)

Chatty Crone said...

Don't worry where you start. And I agree having kids out of town is for the birds. Henry is adorable.

And I imagine the prices will go high on everything!

sandie

vintage grey said...

Welcome back!! Your grandson is soo cute!! Wisconsin looks beautiful!! Have a lovely week! xo Heather

Unknown said...

Welcome back home, I bet you had a nice time there. He's so cute in his glasses.
Have a great Tuesday, I'll be happy to send over some rain ;)

Hugs,
Eva

Eileen H said...

Welcome home. Henry is very cute, lovely photo.

Sarah Shoesmith said...

Henry is so cute - absolutely adorable. Welcome back! How lovely to have someone to take care of things while you are away. It makes the trip even better, knowing that you will return and all will be well.

We all seem to be struggling with the weather in one way or another. Our cold, wet summer will probably also have an effect on yield and therefore food prices.

Carla from The River said...

Glad you had a great trip. I love the photo.
Yes, our corn and crops are doing well. I was told from our Bug Tech (check out my post about Earwigs) we are in the Garden of Eden!

Angie Vik said...

What a cutie. So glad you were able to see your grandchild (and his parents). He looks sweet enough to make the drive worthwhile. The weather up by Lake Superior has not been as hot as the rest of the state, although our lawns are starting to turn brown.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails