Saturday, July 28, 2012

Bridger

BRIDGER

I know that the word 'bridge' shouldn't be capitalized,
but that particular bridge deserves a capital letter!

Bridger is now 11 1/2 years old. That's old for a German Shepherd. He hates summertime. He especially hates this summertime. It's been hot. I know, it's been hot everywhere. I've seriously thought about taking him to the vet and asking him to anesthetize Bridger and shave him. The vet said he could give me some medicine that would help Bridger relax, but I'm pretty sure that Bridger could take my arm off even in a relaxed state. Short of that, I do know that shaving this huge dog would take a long time and he would not like it - not one little bit.



Poor doggie hasn't been feeling well for the past week. The vet gave him some medicine and it seems to be helping. Although Bridger lives in AC with us, it's not really the kind of cool he likes. And when he goes outdoors, he stays out only long enough to do his business. He's back at the door in a few seconds, prancing to get in.

 Bridger and Misty


Bridger - the baby pic
He's the one on the right

It takes Bridger a while to get up now, because he's pretty careful of his hips - unless he's outdoors and a hawk flies overhead or a bunny catches his eye. Then he's off like a flash. So far, he's always managed to get back.


And when he lies on the floor for hours, I'm pretty sure that he's dreaming about his favorite season - winter.

(This is where he and I have differing opinions.)


***

SUMMER SALE 
on
Handcrafted Soaps
On now through August 8

'Andalusia' 
100% Olive Oil
 Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

20 comments:

Denise said...

Praying for precious Bridger.

Parsley said...

This heat is enough to make us all uncomfortable but our poor dogs have a fur coat! I'm glad your dogs are allowed to come inside. Our small AND big dogs stay indoors with us.

Thank you for posting about your babies!

Meee said...

Bridger looks so sweet. I love German Shepherds. I like how he got his name, I did a reenactment in Harper's Ferry, it's such a lovely place and such breathtaking countryside. I'm sure your buddy is looking forward to the cold winter months to come!

MadSnapper said...

poor Bridger, he is just not dressed for the extreme heat. and dogs don't have sweat glands, they have to pant to relieve themselves when hot, also dogs can easily die in extreme heat with out water or shade. so happy B is in the AC.... Baby has a lot of hair but loves the heat. Jake is short haired and hates the heat. strange. but they both come to the door when they get hot and demand AC.

Ruth Kelly said...

I know how you feel about watching your Bridger; I see Babe walk with a limp and notice that he can't jump high anymore. He is 17 years old in Sept. We all get old and find weather hard on us.

George said...

Me and Tess don't like the hot weather at all, Mom always thinks theres something wrong with us as we just want to sleep and not keen on going out.
I've heard that putting the feet in cold water is good. Tess only today after her swimming in the pool came home and paddled in our pond!!then just stood in the water to cool off, me no chance :)
Love to Bridger
Have a good week
See Yea George xxx

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

It is amazing how hot the summer has been. We have a cat that is 13 years old named Tiger, I don't think she likes this hot weather either. Bridger is a beautiful German Shepard.

Empty Nester said...

Oh thank GOODNESS! I saw the post title and panicked! Tell that sweet darling that winter will be here before he knows it! Meanwhile, just stay in front of an AC vent! Give him a hug for me.

Judy S. said...

And here I thought he was named after Jim Bridger. Gosh, you've had it so hot and we're still waiting for summer weather. My n'bor mentioned that we've had 27 minutes over 83 so far which is probably cool for you. Stay cool and give Bridger a treat, OK?

Olive said...

I am totally with Bridger on the heat. Our puppy seems to like inside better now that it is so hot and he is half German Shepherd. I hope Bridger has a better week coming up.

Pamela said...

I love German Shepherds. Bridger is beautiful. I'm with him on the heat. Although I'm not fond of winter's cold I almost think I might enjoy it this year!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness I thought you were going to relay some bad news. Praise God he is okay! Winter will come soon. sandie

Sunny Simple Life said...

He looks so cute in the snow. We are lucky as our big goofy dog loves it when hubby shaves her.

Debra Hawkins said...

What a magnificent animal! He is so beautiful. I have never been a big fan of shaving, but I guess it does help. Hoping for a cold front for Bridger soon!

Eileen H said...

Poor Bridger. I think shaving his fur would be far too stressful for him.
My Amber had very shaggy fur and suffered in the heat. We used to have a fan on day and night in the height of the summer, as we don't have air con. She loved the cool breeze and if there was a wind outside she used to stand in it and you could see her enjoying the breeze blowing through her fur.

It's a shame Bridger is suffering with his hips too. Poor boy, he is a beautiful looking dog. I hope the medicine continues to helps him. I am sending my love to him xx

Carla from The River said...

Beautiful photos! It is so hard to see a pet get old. I know...our Molly is showing signs of age in her face, all white.

Unknown said...

I have to say, though, that I am with Bridger and thinking about winter or at least a time when cooler temps will prevail. I would rather not be in AC either, and even though the hot flashes are gone, my body temp still feels like it's off. Thankfully, or maybe not, I don't have any excess hair to get rid of, so I guess that leaves only body fat..... DANG! :-)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

This summer has been no fun. I sympathize with the poor thing, all that fur.... Our pup is smart, she has all the good spots staked out! Lol! The hard part has been convincing her that even though it is scheduled walk time we need to wait for the sun to set.

J_on_tour said...

So many nice photos here. Loving the one of Bridger & Misty looking through the door and the text about your disagreement with Bridger about the seasons !!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

WHEN I make up your way, not only will I give you a hug, but I MUST hug Bridger. What a beauty....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails