Friday, March 4, 2016

Cafe Concerto, York, UK - Chicken Wrap Recipe, GF - Anglophile Friday

 Cafe Concerto, York

 Their chicken sub

 Exterior of Cafe Concerto
I love the bright colors against all the stone or brick of Yorkshire.

 I probably would have gone back inside if this guy
had taken his German Shepherd into the cafe
(to meet the dog, not the guy, of course.)

 Some old tourist I kept running into
That camera's a dead giveaway.


One of my favorite meals while in England (and very few of them aren't fish and chips), was a chicken avocado sub sandwich at Cafe Concerto in York. Yes, I surreptitiously wrote down my guess of the ingredients on a paper napkin. I can be very tricky. (Even if they notice, they probably just roll their eyes and chalk it up to 'tourist.')

Here's the list of ingredients, as close as I could figure it, with a few changes:

1 tortilla, rather than a bun (I got my Gluten-free tortilla at ALDI*)
2 T. hummus
1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
Some leafy greens
1/2 green or red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2-4 oz. baked chicken breast, thinly sliced
(I'm thinking that 'thinly' probably has some psychological significance).
One thinly drizzled drizzle (about 1 T. Green Goddess salad dressing)

Spread hummus on half the tortilla. Arrange avocado and tomato and onion slices on the same half, then pile on the greens, bell pepper, and chicken breast. Drizzle Green Goddess dressing over other ingredients.

Sprinkle with freshly-ground black pepper and salt

Try to wrap up the wrap. It's not easy, but I did manage to get it to my mouth and it was delicious. My kitchen didn't have quite the same ambience as Cafe Concerto, but at least the wrap tasted really good. Really good!

If you stick to the ingredient list above, the total calories will be about 410. Next time I would add more chicken and less avocado.



Actually, I liked my chicken wrap even better than the
sub sandwich at Cafe Concerto, but there is something about
being in York, rather than my own kitchen...

*ALDI. Okay, I realize that most people say, 'ALDI'  But until I looked it up, I could not understand why it wouldn't be 'Aldi's, as it would be Judy's, if the store were mine. No one would say, I'm going to Judy.'  But you will be happy to know that I just read the history of ALDI, and you can read it here. Now I know the rest of the story and will always, from here and forevermore, pronounce it ALDI. (Maybe). My daughters will be happy.



Linked to: Cooking & Crafting with JJ
and Kathe With An E
and Stephanie's Roses of Inspiration
and Creative Princess

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

 'Oatmeal Almond'
Natural Vegan Soap
Large 4.5-5 oz. bars


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop



I'll be checking in on you later. We're at our daughter's for a short break. My shops are closed while I'm away.

Have a wonderful weekend, friends!


Judy

40 comments:

Denise said...

recipe sounds delicious.

The Cranky said...

The wrap looks and sounds amazing; a definite must-make!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the wrap looks delicious. I will have to save this recipe. Great post! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Marcia said...

Sandwich does look good.

R's Rue said...

This looks good
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Arlene G said...

That sandwich sounds amazing Judy and I love seeing York, where my family hails from!!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Yum.. sounds like my kind of sandwich! I love avocado and hummus. Have a great weekend!

Lowcarb team member said...

Love the look of the recipe idea, thank you.

Also like your cafe shots ... the colours are great!

All the best Jan

Tired Teacher said...

Oh my, that sandwich/wrap looks tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Love the photos of the cafe.

Linda Kay said...

Judy, everything framed in blue makes it most appealing to me. Have a good weekend.

Terri D said...

Your wrap looks really, really good! We have an ALDI here in Lakeland, but it is up in our north end of town, making it a 20-mile round trip to go there. We rarely venture up that way. I will go read the history when I post this comment! Thanks for the recipe! Yum!

Joy said...

That wraps sounds delicious! What a great way to re-create a meal at home. Love the photos! There are some really lovely shades of blue paint in England.

MadSnapper said...

i am with you, i call it Aldi's also and will continue to. although i do say i am going to Walmart not plural. hummm now i have something else to think about. booth sandwiches look good to me, but i always choose the one i dot have to make.

MadSnapper said...

i read the link provided and i guess it should be ALDI but doubt i will remember that. i had no idea they had been around so long. they built the one here 3 years ago and are now building a 2nd one. so now we have two ALDIS...

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Hey - we've been in there and it was great. Couldn't remember the name of the place and it takes some (far too organised) person who lives thousands of miles away to remind me what it was! Couldn't be messing with all that preparation stuff, though, Judi (may I call you that now?) - think I'll just pop across the county...though I made myself a very palatable blue stilton sandwich for lunch. PS Aldys are getting everywhere, closely followed by Lidls.

Susie said...

LOL Judy, you made me laugh about the tourist with the camera...I must look like one all the time. :):) What a cute café. I love little spot like that. Blessings for a fun weekend, xoxo, Susie

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Judy, you are a fount of information! I loved going to York with you today. Sigh..And the lovely chicken wrap ingredients must go on my shopping list. Enjoy your weekend, my friend! xo ♥

podso said...

Ha ha ha! This reminds me of how we used to tease my mom for saying walmartS…. but I do say the plural or possessive of Aldi and since I say it a lot I guess I'll know the right way now. Thanks! Your sandwich wrap looks great and quite similar to one I had today …

Daniela said...

I so love this appointment of yours, my darling, sweetest Judy, and I'm so grateful to you for this !
May your weekend be filled with the light of joy and with the warmth of love, with so much thankfulness
Dany

NanaDiana said...

Enjoy your time at your daughter's house. That wrap sounds delicious but I would leave out the hummus. I just can't get into hummus for some reason. Thanks for the prayers that you send up for us- I really appreciate it, Judy. xo Diana

Michelle said...

This sandwich wrap looks divine! Totally my kind of flavors. I agree about it likely being better in York. Something about our surroundings/experience always adds to the flavor.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, Your wrap looks delicious. I love avocados. I enjoyed the photos you shared. By the way, our niece found a 2 yr old terrier mix for us to rescue/adopt. We named him Theo. He brings us a lot of joy....the cats, not so much!!!

Angela said...

Ha! It annoys me when one of my co-workers says "Kroger's" when the store is just "Kroger". :)

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Now that looks delicious. I like sandwiches when they have a variety of flavours and textures. Yum!

Wishing you a beautiful weekend...
Brenda

Lady Linda said...

That recipe is a keeper! I can't wait to give that one a try. Thanks so much for sharing.
Have a great weekend.

Vee said...

Oh my! That looks delicious. There are so many ways to go with it, too. I think I'd do better without any hummus and
without any I-can't-remember-the-name-without-looking-back, but the stuff you're going to try less of.
(Brain is not firing on all cylinders.) We have no Aldis (plural) here. The reason I decided to pop in today is because of
that beautiful paint color against the bricks. Oh, yes, and that certain tourist looks very followable. Keep right on doing it.

Anonymous said...

I love your trips and adventures. You take beautiful photos and tell us such great stories. Thank you, my friend.

Kelly said...

That chicken wrap looks yummy! It's always nice to find new meals at a restaurant that you can try to copy back at home.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Oh, that looks so delicious. I love your trips and beautiful photos you take. Your stories are great.

bj said...

the wrap looks delicious...love your photos of your trips...so good.

This N That said...

Beautiful photos..The wrap looks yummy..Love the contrast of the paint against the bricks..>Enjoy your weekend..

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh how fun - I just love seeing streets in Europe. ;) And that sandwich (especially yours) looks SO goooooood!!!

I love the german shepherd comment too. Lol I know just what you mean.

Blessings. xoxo

Carla from The River said...

Is England more pet friendly? Is it true dogs can go into pubs?
I would think that would be so much fun.

Love the photos. I think that tourist must like you. ;-)
Carla

sweetbriardreams said...

The wrap certainly looks and sounds very yummy! I am going to York at some point this year so will look out for this one. I love pubs that allow the dogs in, I haven't tried Tia in one yet as she usually 'sings' until everyone has stroked her! Have a wonderful Sunday xx

Amy at love made my home said...

Delicious! Lovely memory of your travels! xx

Robin said...

Your sandwich looks so yummy!! I love all the bright colors that you see front of buildings painted and the doors.

Anne Payne said...

Yum! The wrap would be gobbled up by my husband and myself in no time. We love these kinds of meals.

Stephanie said...

Oh Judy, you made me laugh about the "tourist" :)

Your chicken wrap looks and sounds amazing! I would love to try the recipe soon. Thanks a bunch for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

handmade by amalia said...

Looks delicious. I'd love to give it a try.
Amalia
xo

Anonymous said...

Love your header photo! Your wrap looks tasty, I'll have to try this. My in-laws used to drive thirty miles to go to Aldi, when they were able. The little cafe looks cozy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails