Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Hodgepodging the Rutter-Induced Melancholy

Hey Tommy & Smokey, there actually are TWO cat beds there.


Join Joyce and the gang
for






 She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!

Thanks again, Joyce, for the Wednesday Hodgepodge!

1. What happens to the mail at your house?  
Anything that isn't a check we pitch. (not quite. The Kohl's ads and anything I really need to keep stay on top of the microwave until I pitch them because they're outdated.). I'm sure no one else keeps mail on top of the microwave. Haha. And I do like to get rid of flyers right away. Hate those things!

 Look at that happy grandkid!
(photo from my DIL. Thank you, Courtney!)

2. Something you always splurge on? Any guilt associated with the splurge?

I don't think I'm a splurger (Mr. C. doesn't know how lucky he is!) At least I can't think of anything, unless it's Kindle books or mp3 lectures or music downloads. And no I don't feel guilty. Life is short.

 I know some of you have sympathy for these creatures,
but red squirrels are so destructive and as soon as I got my feeders full, that rascal was there, chasing away the birds and gorging himself. Grrr.

3. There are many, but what are two important questions you think every bride and groom should ask/answer before they plan their walk down the aisle?

After God and church issues, which in my opinion should come first, then I've copied two other questions from a marriage questionnaire I composed more than a decade ago. It's four pages long, but here are just two questions from it:
  
1. Are there any issues about which you have a very strong opinion and about which you feel there is little or no room for negotiation?  (I should have added, 'Speak now or forever hold your peace.')
 
2. If you owed someone $200, and you told them you would pay them Dec. 1, what would you do with an unexpected $200 given to you November 15?   A) Pay the owed money first or B) Use the $200 for something you want, hoping you'll have the $200 to pay back your friend by Dec. 1.

You probably don't want to hear the other 3 3/4 pages. Now that I've reread the questionnaire, I think Mr. C. and I should fill it out separately, and then discuss the questions. Wouldn't that be fun? After nearly 50 years of marriage, maybe it wouldn't be such a great idea.

 And his back side


4. What's the best advice your father ever gave you?

If you fight with your husband, don't come crying to me. Or maybe that was my mom. They both thought Mr. C. was faultless. They obviously didn't know him well, but they did know me well. :-)

 Why am I showing you all these photos? Because I worked for three
days reclaiming that miserable flowerbed from its slow death by strangulation
and finally have something I enjoy looking at. Must say, though, that nasty little red squirrel knocked over my irises minutes after I took the photos!

5. Your favorite movie where a father features heavily in the storyline?

Downton Abbey. Besides my own father, I like Robert Crawley best. He was my favorite character in that whole series. I liked the unfortunately-and-untimely-named Isis, the dog, next.

 View from the porch
I think the brown field has corn planted in it

6. Insert your own random thought here. 
Don't listen to John Rutter on a cloudy day.. I just realized that it really affects me! Anyway, so that it can really affect you too, here's a beautiful (the music) YouTube video of Esurientes, movement 6 of Rutter's Magnificat. Patricia Forbes has the most heavenly voice! Ever. I could listen to her all day (and sometimes I do).

And because I know that you, like I, need to know the English translation, here it is:

From Luke 1:53-55
"He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever" (also found in the Book of Common Prayer, of course.)





Have a wonderful Wednesday! 


***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Red Clover Tea
Natural Vegan Soap

No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Great lather
Wonderful fragrance
Labeled and wrapped, ready for gifting!

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning
Judy

28 comments:

Tammy Enjoy Life said...

Oh how so many married couples today, cry to their parents after that first few months....I told both daughters this...all will argue and watch our words in the heat of an argument...you can never take back words.
Great pics.

Misty said...

Ok- gorgeous flower bed... And your honesty about the mail sitting there until it's outdated. YES. This is why I (almost begrudgingly) toss coupons too... (www.rainydayinmay.com)

Arlene G said...

Your flower bed is beautiful Judy!! And my family thinks the same thing about Marvin...he can do no wrong as far as they are concerned.

Debby Ray said...

You should be proud of that beautiful flower bed, as I know you are. We don't have red squirrels, but gray ones mostly and they are just as greed and destructive. We have found that there is a certain time of the day the squirrels must be napping and then the birds take their turn. Happy Wednesday!

MadSnapper said...

Love the photo of the straw people.so sweet. great shot.. your flower bed looks so pretty. we have gray squirrels, hubby hates them I love them, we don't have feeders so not a problem. I would not dare fill out the questions, there is nothing in this world that bob and I can agree on. we both love the beach and that is about it. I would pay the 200 to the owed person, but would not owe them in the first place. I don't borrow money. when my kids were little I wanted to buy groceries on Friday and got paid on sat. I would get 40 from daddy, give it back the next day. but only a few times. no advice comes to mind, but I did inherit my cheapness and money sense from his dna.. ha ha on two beds, love those kitties.

Nonnie said...

Okay! All this Hodgepodge is chock full of good stuff! Thanks for sharing both sides of the pesky squirrel. Haha!! I like watching them play, but I definitely don't want them in my attic, which is where I hear they like to play here. I like the marriage questions. I love your garden … and your view!!!! Mercy, you are blessed. Who needs to shop when you get to live in such an environment? I don't shop much anyway and my DH knows that is a blessing. Your grandson is a handsome and very happy looking sweet boy!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Okay - I love all your animal pics - those squirrels are a pest and I can tell you that from experience. I think the most important thing to discuss before marriage is religion and both be God fearing. I think my parents like my hubs more than me or just as much as me. lol. Love, sandie

Linda Kay said...

Always love the squirrels, those pesky little critters. I've seen several videos on FB lately of failed attempts of squirrels to rob the bird feeders.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I am listening to that magnificent music as I respond, but it's hard to concentrate. After almost 53 years of marriage, it might not hurt to review your questionnaire. I think a refresher course at 50 years would be a good idea. Now to comment on all your pictures. You do have your own bit of heaven from your front porch, don't you. Again, I love all the Hostas. Thanks again for the music and for an interesting Hodgepodge.

ellen b. said...

Great questions to ask those who are getting married. Enjoyed your hodgepodge. Great job on your planters!

Patti said...

HI, I'm visiting from the Hodgepodge. This is my first visit to your blog, but I'm now following, so it won't be my last. Also, I LOVE Etsy shops, so I have favorited yours. I look forward to trying your soap.

I know the squirrels are a pain, but your photo of him is stunning. You captured him perfectly.

Looks like little grandson and his parents were enjoying a milkshake together? I'm not a grand yet, but I look forward to the day when I am---maybe the end of 2019? Shh...better not say that too loud, as I promised my daughter I wouldn't beg her and her husband for grandkids.

If you have time, I'd love for you to stop by for a visit, at Celebrating Our Days.

Blessings,
Patti

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I love your flower bed and sorry your Iris got knocked down. Hope you are having a good week.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love your sweet kitties. They must love being close! The straw people is a fun photo.
Your garden looks very pretty. The squirrels are a pain here, the birds do not get a chance at the feeders. Enjoy your day and week ahead. PS, thank for the comment and visit.

Mrs.T said...

Red squirrels and chipmunks are both cute, but such a pain. Gray squirrels, I don't find cute at all.

I so understand about the music. I enjoy Celtic music, but if I listen to it too often or too long, I do become melancholy indeed ... even depressed.

Love your premarital questions. Great ones. I imagine the rest of the questionnaire is just as helpful.

Have a wonderful week!

Terri D said...

I always enjoy the photos you use with your Hodgepodge answers each week! And you always also insert great wisdom! Enjoyed this very much!!

Wendy said...

Lovely photos (well maybe not the squirrel's backside lol) and great answers.

Deb said...

It's always fun to drop by on Wednesdays here. You need a black squirrel to get rid of the red squirrel...and a grey squirrel to get rid...oh, never mind. It's hopeless. :( I gave up long ago and bought more seed. Hugs to Tommy and Smokey.

Michelle said...

Oh married life....30 years ago I called my parents in tears about a marital situation. They weren't mean, but realistic. Life/marriage is full of problems to solve. Get used to it.

Vee said...

Oh I am sure that I could happily read the rest of your thoughts on marriage.

Yes, music is powerful and can bring sadness. Even as a child, not yet five, I would weep listening to Tchaikovsky. When asked why, I would always respond that I hoped my grandfather in Heaven could hear that music. I was an odd kid.

So there’s a definite reason why we are told to focus on good things. Phil 4:8 (I don’t remember how to spell Philippians today.)

Squirrels are the bane of my existence. Just had a squirrel cage put on my chimney. Yes, they had been getting into the basement that way! I could cheerfully murder all who enter my domain. (Squirrels that is...I really should make myself clear.)

Your garden looks marvelous!

(Now come listen to “Locomotion” at my place and reread about my dancing grandson. Still cracks me up!)

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, love your two questions! Would love to read your entire questionnaire. And, you're right, at this stage of the game maybe you and Mr C should skip the questionnaire! :D

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Good questions for the couple. Good choice on the father from Downton Abbey. Enjoyed all of your photos. Hope you are having a great week.

Lynne said...

Hodge Podge has a “like” from me . . .
Nice flower patch . . ,
Naughty squirrel . . .
Best advice from my dad . . . “Honesty is always best!”
Oh . . . He did talk about having a good “sense of humor” too . .
I will listen to the music . . . later . . .
First . . . weeds and mulch . . ,
Enjoy a Best Thursday!

Unknown said...

Love your garden that you worked so hard to reclaim. That is such a rewarding feeling! My father in law told me that once I married his son, he was my problem and he wouldn’t take him back! I loved that man! Enjoy your weekend.

Maribeth said...

What a beautiful garden!
I think parents should advise that both have God as the head of the family. And to also remember, problems come and go. It's important to have your faith to lean back on through those times.

HWIT BLOGG said...

Love your garden and so cute cat´s :)
You have such a lovely blog...
Greetings from Titti

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

i just got a kick out of #4 / cracked me up!

Terra Heck said...

Those two kitties snuggling together is so cute.
I've been married almost 16 years but I think it'd be cool to do a marriage questionnaire now with my husband, with questions like that.

Judy S. said...

I love Rutter's music also. His Magnificat is the first master work that we were part of in our choir...fond memories. Just recently we were fortunate to hear another church choir in Chicago perform his beautiful Mass. Since we've sung that one, too, it was especially fun to hear it. Hope you are having a good week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails