Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Bits of Life Wednesday

Mr. C. with the boys at Sand Creek Cafe
Notice that they're all looking in different directions. LOL

The house is very quiet this week. I'm missing the two grandsons who stayed with us last week. It was not quiet then, as no house with two young boys in it could be quiet for long.  And any time they're with us for a few days, we take them to Sand Creek for the cafe and for the creek.

Same grandsons, same Mr. C., same country cafe in Sand Creek, WI,
three years ago.


Sand Creek park is a beautiful place with a lovely, sandy (surprise!) creek bed and sparklingly-clear water. They love wading in the water and collecting piles of sea weed. And I know I've mentioned this before, but no one else is ever there. I would think that the neighborhood kids would be playing there all the time, but no.

Switching gears: One of the days while the boys were with us, we spent the afternoon at Hunt Hill Audubon Sanctuary, walking the trails. Those of you who follow me  (@cranberrymorning) on IG have seen most of these photos, but...

 Mr. C., blazing the trail, so to speak
on a very rickety bridge

 Pretty lilies


 It might look like the older brother is trying to trip his younger brother with that walking stick, but I'm sure that's not the case. What brother would do that?! ;-)



 Mr. C. in a moment of reflection


 The bog was my favorite part of the whole experience, although we found no bog people. Still, it was a cool experience to step on the squishy bog moss (while hanging on tightly to the railing of the bridge, lest I become another bog casualty).

 And here's the pitcher plant. What an interesting plant! I'd never seen one before, and of course it's named that because it holds the rain water.

 There were several trails at the park, one of which was the Bear Trail. We walked parts of a few different trails, and this sign was just across the bridge. With as many black bears as we have in NW Wisconsin, I'm not sure why they think it would be fun for people to walk the Bear Trail. I might have named it the  'Seldom Any Bears Trail, Really'  instead. What were they thinking??

 Cooperation
What to do on a hot and muggy day when no one wants to be out in it!
I have several Ravensberger puzzles. They're worth searching for online, because they're a really good quality and all the grandkids (the younger ones) love them!

 Another grandson, another puzzle, a couple years ago


So now it's back to just Mr. C. and me
and Tommy & Smokey
 

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Frosted Apple Spice
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap
With real apple peel from our beloved McIntosh tree
that all the deer would love to eat!
(the tree, not the soap)

No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Great lather
Delicious apple fragrance


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!

Join me on Instagram @cranberrymorning
Judy

29 comments:

Deb said...

Enjoyed the photos, Judy. They look like such nice boys.

Marcia said...

I am looking forward to having granddaughters stay alone with us but thats years from now. Such a wonderful week you had. Don't pitcher plants catch insects?

eileeninmd said...

Hello, fun times with the grandsons. I love the bog and plants. The trail looks interesting.
Your grandsons are handsome boys, wonderful memories and photos. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Arlene G said...

I know you miss the Boy Energy in the house Judy. They are cuties for sure. The blonde grandson reminds me of you! And I am impressed they did that puzzle...most boys have trouble just sitting still.:)

Lynne said...

I wonder how many parents, grandparents take the time
to take their children
for a walk in the creek . . .
or to an Audibon sanctuary . . .
and a bog too . . .
and a to see a pitcher plant . . .
to watch granny step on the boggy mush . . .
to walk “bear trails” . . .
to play puzzles at home . . .

I wonder . . .

Love seeing Tommy and Smokey . . .
love that curled up paw . . .
(My kind of thing . . . saw Pitcher Plant in a garden near Dublin years ago)

Chatty Crone said...

Oh no I wrote this once and lost it!
Thanks for sharing your boys with us. They are cute and they find so much to do with you and grandpa.
Have you seen bears before?
Love the pitcher plant - I can see how they hold water.
Very unusual puzzles.
Your kitties are so pretty.
Sandie

MadSnapper said...

I was shocked to see the pitcher plant growing like that in the wild and up north. they have tons of them at Selby Gardens, but they are in a green house and are my favorite plants in the green house... I want to wade in that creek, love the pic of the climb up the leaning tree. it is odd no one is there in all that beauty. I assume they are all home with faces buried in wi fi devices.. the g sons have certainly grown a lot in 3 years. glad you had them for a fun 2 weeks... back to school now... great post

Annsterw said...

That pitcher plant is awesome! I have never seen one before. That is so awesome that when your grandkids come you spend time in nature with them - I am sure those will be the memories that they hold dear their entire lives! What a great visit!

Elizabethd said...

Time with grandchildren is so precious, and before you know it they are toweering over you and on their way into Life!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

My days of having grandchildren visit is long past. They all live elsewhere and are grown and either in college or working, with one exception. That exception is probably more busy than the big, working ones. So, I envy you your "play" time with these delightful Grands. That plant is amazing. I have never seen nor heard of such a plant. Isn't God's creation the most amazing place to explore! And always with a camera. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful pictures, my friend. It looks like you are enjoying the summer to its fullest.

Thinking of you! Hugs!

ellen b. said...

Looks like quality time spent with your grandsons. Thanks for showing the pitcher plant.

Lorrie said...

What wonderful days with your grandsons. Wading in the creek would be so much fun, especially on hot days. The pitcher plants are so interesting. Enjoy the peace and quiet, although you miss the boys.

SImple and Serene Living said...

Such wonderful places to walk. xo Laura

Terri D said...

What a beautiful place to make memories!! Your kitties are so precious. I miss having cats that actually like each other! LOL Thanks for sharing your good times with us!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

How lucky the grands get to wade in the creek when they come for a visit. These times look like all the things little boys love. Isn't it amazing how fast our grands seem to grow? I'm sure the older brother would never trip his younger brother, Judy! I love seeing the bog pitcher plants-so pretty. Fun times for you and them! ♥

Susie said...

Judy, You know I love seeing the cats. LOL I think the boys and your hubby are cute. So good they want to spend time with you. I miss ours they are older now. I loved seeing the boys work a puzzle. that is great. Blessings to all of you, xoxo, Susie

Cindy said...

Those pictures of the hike are beautiful! What a fun adventure!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Lovely shots, precious times CM. Glad to see you didn't get bogged down.

Vee said...

It’s good to have them come and it’s good to have them go. The ebb and flow of grandparenting is one of my favorite things about it. I have never spent an entire week with my grands. Wonder if I could keep them happy and busy that long!

This N That said...

Looks like it was a nice visit..Lovely pictures.What a fun adventure for everybody..Making memories..

Cathy said...

It looks like you guys had a wonderful visit. Grandkids are just the best. I need to look into those puzzles for when my grandson gets a little older. I would love to work a puzzle with him.

Hope you have a great day!

NanaDiana said...

I remember when you took the boys there before!!! Look how much they have grown! I have a couple of those puzzles, too, and they are good quality. Hubby asked me if I didn't want to donate them now that we are getting ready to move...um......NO!

Hope you have a wonderful Thursday- xo Diana

podso said...

The creek looks like every boy's dream--except for those who weren't there. Maybe they were busy with their devices. A shame. I love those puzzles and you just gave me an idea I hope to remember for Christmas. One of mine is really "into" dinosaurs. He already has the firetruck one.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, your photos of the creek are fabulous! What a spot to have all to yourselves! I have to admit, as much fun as the boys would be to have around, I think I'd really appreciate the quiet of just you two and Tommy and Smokey afterward.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You had me at Frosted Apple Spice! heehee! That sounds wonderful! And it's fun to see the photos of time spent outside. Hugs!

Lady Fi said...

Cute shots.

Judy S. said...

Looks like you enjoyed some fun days with your grand sons! Enjoy the quiet now as you "recover" from the visit. Have you notice some changes in Bloglovin'lately?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like it was a great visit. I love all the photos.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails