Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Bits of Life Wednesday


The high bush cranberries are ripening fast!

Well, another week has flown by and here we are at Wednesday already. Summer is the shortest season of the year, not only because winter is interminable, but also possibly because we have a lot of family birthdays in the summertime. Personally, I'm glad to have a birthday in August, rather than in the dead of winter.


Cactus zinneas. Planted late, and giving me
more than I deserve

My favorite cherry tomato, tasty and prolific!
I think they're 'Red Currant,' but the identification tag
seems to be buried beneath the mulch.
I put about 20 of them in my salad.

FAVORITE PERSONAL SALAD:

Romaine lettuce
Red cabbage
Shredded carrot
Chopped onion (some)
1/2 avocado, cut into chunks
About 20 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
About a dozen green olives, cut in half
About 1/8 c. shelled pistachios, chopped
1 T. EVOO and 1 T. fresh lemon juice


McIntosh apples, the first windfalls

After nearly dying from a very harsh winter a few years ago, our trusty McIntosh apple tree is bearing apples once again. I was sure it was a goner, and there is dead wood that needs to be cut back, but we're getting apples, my favorite kind. I learned from experience to pick up the windfalls each morning to prevent the tree from producing wormy apples (Is it an old wives' tale? Anyway, it works) and that the best apples are a bit later on - better formed and tastier. I might put this picking out on the edge of the hill for the deer to eat. Perhaps it will keep them from eating the apples from the tree itself! Perhaps not. At least it will keep worms and ants away from the tree's drip line.

All hands on deck,
trying to catch the microscopic toad.
I think it was a very quick catch and release.


It was the eight year old grandson's birthday yesterday.
It's fun watching these kids going back to the serving table to get an extra handful of broccoli. :-) Wasn't it President H.W. Bush who hated broccoli?

Over the weekend, we visited their (my daughter, not Prez. Bush) place and had a party. One of the gifts we gave the grandson was a pr of Harry Potter PJs. Unfortunately, they were sized WAY too small. But as I was putting them back into the bag for a return, the little sister popped into view with, 'WAIT! Let ME try!' (I could hear Cinderella's voice in my head just before she tried on the glass slipper). She is normally a size 4. The pajamas were size 8, and even she had to struggle to get into the legs and arms. But once she did, she was thrilled, so I'm going to be ordering another [probably different style] Harry Potter PJs for the birthday boy.

Struggling on tippy toes
to get into the act.

We went to the park just in time to see a white, horse-drawn carriage containing bride, flower girl, and the bride's father, presumably, arrive. I was amazed that the horses willingly walked across the long wood bridge to get to the island where the guests were being serenaded by loud country western music. I shudder to recall. (I have to keep remembering: hate the sin, love the sinner). JUST KIDDING, all you country western fans. :-D But you know it's Rutter for me. ANYWAY, we tried to be as inconspicuous as possible and merely watched from afar and then took a nice walk along the river. There's a great paved path from the park to infinity downtown and beyond. 

 You might mistakenly have thought the bride was the main attraction at this wedding.
Look at those gorgeous work horses!

One of a few fishermen we saw
fishing in the great Wisconsin River
next to the walking trail


Tommy & Smokey
enjoying the screen room
Could they possibly be comfortable?? Looks like a great opportunity for a crick in the neck. But they never listen to advice, persist in their risky behavior, and refuse to see the chiropractor, so what can you do.

***


Neighbor Bill's Barn
August of 2010
(Note Card available in my Etsy Shop,
since it's one of my favorite barns) 

*I think it's next Wednesday that Joyce will be back with Wednesday's Hodgepodge - and not a moment too soon. We're all treading water here, Joyce! ;-)


***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Lemon Verbena
Natural Vegan Soap
No harsh chemicals
No animal products
Luxurious lather
Great fragrance!


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Have a great Wednesday, friends.
Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

25 comments:

Sylvia said...

Good photo's and I know the wedding must have been beautiful!

MadSnapper said...

I loved every word of your post. so much to comment on I can't remember it all... Smokey and Tommy once again steal the post for me... awwwwwwww moment again!!!! tiny toad gets wild clapping... grand children are adorable and loved the Harry Potter trade off. I have said many times recently, when I try on clothes now, I know to take 3 sizes in the room, none of the sizes are any where near alike. I bought a new pair of capris. I tried on a 14, 16 and 12. the 12 fit, but it said on the inside Jr. 9.... I loved the white and wanted black also. I tried 12, 14, 16 and a 10, none of the fit. all to small. what is up with that?
great post. I did not know cranberries look like grapes on the vine, the only kind I see are in the bags at the store

Elizabethd said...

I wish cranberries grew here!

Another Rutter fan?

Dicky Bird said...

I know exactly where the fisherman picture was taken! I've seen that view from the many meetings I've had at the UWExtension 4H office. Our apple trees are loaded too...just waiting for the first kiss of frost to use them - yes, sweeter.

Dicky Bird said...

...well, I did relook at it...I'm shouldn't say exactly, but if you were in Wausau I do! LOL

Annsterw said...

Oh Judy!!!! I just love Tommy and Smokey!!

NanaDiana said...

That Smokey & Tommy are show stealers. LOL...almost as cute as the grands-almost!!! Loved your post today, Judy, from the cranberries to your favorite salad! I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. xo Diana

Empty Nester said...

Hahaha! I'm right there with you on country music. Those kitties are still just the sweetest and the grandkids! I'm glad y'all have a lot of summer birthdays so you can get there to celebrate but I'm over the summer weather down here. Hot and more humid than humid as usual.

21 Wits said...

Oh goodness, those two kitties are just adorable. I always enjoy your lovely bits and pieces of life. Looks like a great summer for all!

Chatty Crone said...

It was President Bush who didn't like broccoli and got into big trouble with the growers.
Oh my your fruit looks so heavenly.
I made a copy of your recipe - it sounds so good.
Okay that party with all that wonderful food - and I didn't get an invitation.
When was your birthday in August?
And those two cats - adorable.
Again I love your photos!!!!!!!!!!!
sandie

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Summer is beautiful in your neck of the woods, Judy. I've never seen cactus zinnias! And the beautiful cranberries look delicious as do your cherry tomatoes. We have a volunteer grape tomato plant in the compost pile that is outperforming the pitiful tomatoes I planted. Tommy and Smokey are great mascots for Cranberry Morning--so sweet. xo ♥

Terri D said...

Beautiful flowers, beautiful children, and beautiful cats!! Love the barn, love the horses, and love that there are a few weeks left of summer!

Lynne said...

Fun it is to see an unexpected bridal,procession.
Liking the massive horses too.
Adorable grandchildren, Happy Birthday to that young man.
Smokey and Tommy are such charmers . . ,
Cute picture!
I do like that barn picture!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

I hadn't realized Joyce would be back next week. That's good because I have just about run out of "Wellness" topics although it has been fun and a mentally expanding experience if not a bit time consuming. So enjoyed all your pictures and especially of the Grands and cats. And, what a prolific garden you have had. Our little cherry tomato plant has left us wanting this year.

Vee said...

Awww...love your little Cinderella or Harry Potter as the case may be. That sounds entirely too confused. 😳 She is enterprising. The photos of all the bounty there from table to orchard and in between are wonderful, Oh never allow the music to lessen your joy for a wedding, We need all the weddings we can get...so few bother anymore. 👰🏻 I hope that the bride was as lovely as the horses.

Jill said...

What a sweet little party, they are so adorable! I think your cats have the right idea too! Lol! Love all the pictures of the flowers and garden goodies. Those tomatoes do look delicious! I hope you have a wonderful evening!

Blessings,
Jill

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I loved the great variety you had in this post.

Maribeth said...

Joyce will be back? Great! I've been trying to fill in things for Wednesdays, but oh my, I'm running out of things!
Love all the vegetables except Kale. Love them cooked or raw. Your grands are beautiful!

This N That said...

Fun post full of fun times and a lot of memories being made..I'm with you..Those horses are gorgeous.Looks like you had a full week...Beautiful children..Love the barn photo..would make a nice painting..Tommy and Smokey look so content..Enjoy the rest of your week and Holiday weekend..

Lady Fi said...

Great shots.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Hooray for the apples. Your salad sounds delicious. I don't know what I would do without salads in my life. Wish I had enjoyed them years ago when I was younger but I just didn't like them. Fruits and veggies are the best!!! That's odd about the PJ's running so small. Glad she was happy to get them. I'm not a country fan at all, no reason why, just can't get into it. The photo of Bill's barn is fabulous!! Really, I can't wait for Hodgepodge to return.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, your tomatoes look fabulous, and your salad sounds perfect (minus the raw onions for me, though). Adorable grands, but humans can't compete when there are also pictures of cats! Which of the cats is the boss?

podso said...

Oh the cat pictures! And how fun to come upon a wedding, music and all. Looks like a healthy birthday meal for your grand, and by the way, happy birthday to you!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Summer sure has flown by here. I am in shock we will turn the calendar to September tomorrow.
Yummy tomatoes.
Have a great weekend,
Carla

Susie said...

Judy, Those cats...love them to pieces. Great photos. The first time I ever saw cherry tomatoes, I ate so many my tummy was popping. After a short car ride home, I got car sick , lost all my tomatoes. :(:( Blessings to you, hope all is well there, xoxo, Susie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails