Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Hodgepodging Fall-Turning-To-Winter-Way-Too-Soon

Near Ontario, Wisconsin
on our Driftless trip to SW Wisconsin




Join Joyce and the Gang

for

 
 She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!
 
 
Barn north of Wausau, WI
last week

 
Thanks, Joyce!!

 
1. Just your weekly mid-week reminder that it's fall y'all and it's my favorite. I love nearly all the flavors of fall but let's weigh in with an either or today...pumpkin or cranberry? hot apple cider or pumpkin spice latte? cinammon or maple? apple or pear? ginger or sage? carrot or butternut squash? Yes you have to choose. What's a favorite dish made with one of the flavors listed here? 
 
Well, I feel like a traitor to my own Cranberry Morning name!, but if it's muffins or pie we're talking about, then it would be pumpkin. Neither cider nor latte, please. Cinnamon over maple. Apple over pear. Ginger and sage, a tie, depending upon what it's used for. Butternut squash over carrot. A favorite dish would be sage stuffing for Thanksgiving or butternut squash soup, but I rarely make that because it doesn't have any natural boundaries - a category of dangerous food, in my experience.
 
York Minster
 


2. Do you miss traveling? In this season of almost no travel do you think you've grown anxious or fearful about traveling again? Or has all this staying home not going anywhere made you restless to get out and see the world? What book have you read or what movie have you watched that has inspired you to travel? 

 Yes, I do miss traveling. And I'm not at all fearful about traveling again. I'm eager. I read Rick Steves books which always make me itchy to travel, but mostly just looking at photos from previous trips - like the two above when we've visited York. We tend to go back to the same places we love. And watching the live Enthronement of the 98th Archbishop of York on YouTube on Sunday made me even more eager to return. There's nothing like Evensong in York Minster or Canterbury Cathedral or Gloucester Cathedral or Durham Cathedral or... (I know, there's a theme here.)

Some weeks are just like that.


3. A time you felt like you were 'flying by the seat of your pants'? Explain. 

I'm just not a 'fly by the seat of your pants' kind of person.

 


4. Do you struggle with road rage or are you more of a 'Sunday driver'? Do you like to be 'in the driver's seat (literally and/or figuratively speaking) ?

I'm not a road rage kind of person. I actually prefer not driving at all, but being in the passenger seat, reading a book. I'm better at reading aloud than driving aloud.

Snow. Early Thanksgiving, October 14, 2018

Grandkids and daughter-in-law

at the farm


5. Something you've recently 'put the brakes on'? 

 
Well, something I'm always thinking about putting the brakes on: my sugar intake. Sometimes I do great. Then again, other times not so great. The other day I purchased this microscopic Nut Goodie (made in St. Paul, MN) to send to my brother, who lives in Denver. It's one of his favorites. But what caught my eye at the store was the fact that the Nut Goodie has shrunk in size, from about 4" across to about 2.5" across, and in my candy-eating years has increased from 10 cents to 79 cents. I decided it wasn't worth mailing, so I ate it myself. :-(
 

6. Insert your own random thought here.



I thought this was pretty funny. It's a screenshot from my phone, when I was checking on the weather the other day.  Funny, because "Error. Something went wrong" is pretty much how I would describe winter in general. And by the way, we're getting snow today. That part isn't funny.

 

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

 Judy 

Quotation from our church bulletin,

October 18, 2020

Zion Lutheran Wausau

(my photo taken in our neighborhood)

 

 

22 comments:

Tammy Enjoy Life said...

The Nut Goodie reminds me of the Girl Scouts Cookies...they are smaller and cost much more than when my daughters were Girl Scouts!
I am not ready for snow!

Theresa said...

Wow, snow already? I am still waiting for the leaves to change here. They are just starting to but we aren't in peak yet. It seems many food items are now smaller servings and more expensive. I was really annoyed when they did it to half gallon cartons of ice cream. It seems so sneaky ;) Beautiful photos, as always! Have a great rest of the week :)

Linda said...

Wow snow already? I suppose it will be heading here to western NY sooner than later, grin. The last several days have been dark, rainy and darn right cold. I enjoyed your answers and I am ready to travel...sigh...if NY ever lets go of the restrictions, sigh.

Have a great day, friend smiles.

Deanna Rabe said...

We’ve had a lovely autumn, I’m not ready for winter yet. I like traveling and am not afraid to get back to it!

MadSnapper said...

Your screenshot is perfect for the year 2020! I even got one of those on my desktop the other day. I clicked on a link and that's what I got. I love that picture of your family! I have never liked to travel because I don't like to be in a car and I don't fly and I don't do both so that leaves out traveling haha! But if I am in a car I'm the driver or I don't go. I have one friend her name is Lola and I will ride with her and her only. I never ride with Bob driving except on the interstate he's good on the interstate because all the other speeding drivers he fits right in

Wendy said...

Snow???? Poor you. We've had lots of rain recently but the temps have been mild. I had to laugh about the shrinking Nut goodie. It's all about marketing. I've noticed lots of things lately where the quantity has been reduced and the price although usually the same is therefore actually more expensive. They think if you're paying the same you won't notice. I guess some people don't.

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
I love that you read aloud while Mr. C is driving. I should start doing that. I have several books I want to read to Jeremy, but he falls asleep when I read to him in the evening. I think he will stay awake driving. ;-)
Have a great week.
Carla

NanaDiana said...

No snow here yet-but it is coming!!! UGH. I am NEVER ready for winter weather. I do not like the snow, cold or ice. lol
I am looking forward to traveling again, too, but don't quite dare do it yet with John's health issues.
Have a wonderful Wisconsin Wednesday. xo Diana

Jan said...

Beautiful photos! We were at York Minster just a year ago. I find myself looking back to that trip more and more. You never know what the year will bring. We were thinking then that we would go back. Now, who knows?

Susan said...

You eating the nut candy made me laugh! Nice pictures!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The stuffing and soup both sound like good choices. Rick Steves is awesome. I have DVD's of his. Crazy weather! That's funny about the candy and you eating it. Yes things are now smaller and cost more money. Like your church bulletin quote.

Barbara said...

Your story about the Nut Goodie was entertaining. It went from an act of thoughtful generosity to sticker shock over the high price for much less volume and then you eating the candy yourself. Given all the data, I would have reached the same conclusion.

On the topic of postage rates, I think sending Christmas cards is going to continue to decrease in popularity.

Maureen said...

The trees in your neighborhood are beautiful. And I really like the quote from your church bulletin--so true.

Terri D said...

Snow!!! Ouch! This Hodgepodge was perfect for this time of year when we are all getting weather changes and are starting to think about Thanksgiving and all those yummy Fall flavors and foods! Stay warm up there!

Cheryl said...

You have had snow; we have run our air conditioner. How crazy is that? You'll just have to make some of that butternut squash soup and pretend it's still autumn outside your door!

Love the quote from your church bulletin!

Creations By Cindy said...

Love the nut candy story! Made my morning. SNOW! WOW and WOW! We are having rain today. Not heavy but just enough to be dreary! Love all the pictures and those barn pictures! Love old barns. Have a great rest of the week dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Lisa said...

stopping by from Hodgepodge -- the pictures of fall leaves -- gorgeous! I have a question -- you used the phrase natural boundaries about the soup -- I've never heard that term used with food. Would that be like it is hard to judge a normal portion size? I laughed out loud about the candy. I don't think we have that same candy in Alabama. I wish I could read in the car -- I have terrible motion sickness so I'm jealous that you can read while riding!

Vee said...

That is a wonderful photo of the beautiful foliage reflected in the car windows. Smart people to have an early Thanksgiving. And still it snowed? Good grief. That quote you closed with is so true. I don't like it, but it is true. I read yesterday that all that has been lost in this time has been freedom and that's nothing. I would disagree. It is everything. May your weather readjust to something more temperate for the season. I laughed at your eating your brother's candy bar. Isn't that just the way? Hope your brother doesn't find out.

drmeads said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robin said...

I’m so glad that we haven’t gotten snow yet. Hope you are doing well and enjoying your new home.

Buttercup said...

I'm with you on putting the brakes on sugar. A friend sent me a bag of ginger candy. I went through it as though I'd never seen candy before. Candy is just too tempting for me to have it in my house. Take care!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I'm so envious of people who can read while riding in a car; I would be vomiting in no time! About that Nut Goodie. I just had to look it up and check the sugar content. That one little Nut Goodie has 28 grams of added sugar, taking it over my sugar limit of never more than 6 teaspoons in a day. But my pumpkin muffins (posted a few days ago) have just 2 teaspoons per muffin. I would rather eat three pumpkin spice muffins than not even all of one Nut Goodie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails