Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup - Recipe GF

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

One must be armed with a few good soup recipes for these chilly autumn evenings. This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is one of the best. We love it, ever since I first made it a few years ago. We'd enjoyed something similar to this at Michaelhouse in Cambridge, England. Of course, my kitchen doesn't offer quite the same ambience as Michaelhouse, but it's not bad - and getting to my kitchen is much less expensive and much more convenient.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup - Recipe:
Delicious and Gluten Free

1 (very) large butternut squash, halved and seeded

4 T. butter
1 large onion, chopt
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 T. minced fresh ginger root
1-2 t. hot curry powder from Penzey's
2-3 McIntosh apples, cored and finely chopt
   (I used a couple cups of my own McIntosh canned applesauce)
1/3 c. port
1 quart Pacific (gluten-free, organic, free-range) chicken broth
(You can add another cup of chicken broth or even a cup of beef broth, as long as the majority of it is chicken broth.)
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne (to taste)

Spray cut sides of squash with cooking oil and place cut side down on large baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until flesh is soft, about 1 1/4 hours. Let cool, then scoop flesh out into large bowl.

In large stockpot, melt butter and saute onion until tender. Turn burner to low setting.  Stir in garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook a minute longer. Add apples and port. Simmer for 10 minutes or until apples are soft.

Pour broth into stockpot mixture. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne.

Now here's the best part:  In times past, I would take a couple cups of this mixture at a time and puree them in my blender, then add them back to the stockpot. What a nuisance! Then, I bought a new stick blender and instead of that long process with my blender, I puree everything right in the stockpot with my stick blender. SO EASY!!

As you heat this, make sure it's on a very low setting.

Serve with fresh-from-the-oven hearty brown bread or use my good gluten-free bread recipe and soft butter. No kidding, you will thank me! ;-)



***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 

'Pumpkin Spice'
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds very nice and tasty :)
Have a lovely Day my friend.

Hugs,
Eva

MadSnapper said...

i would love a little chill to make me want to eat soup. this looks delish and also pretty

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I had got a butternut squash at the farmers market and wasn't sure what recipe to use, now I know!!

Angela said...

What can I use instead of butter? Would coconut oil work?

Cranberry Morning said...

Sure, I don't know why you couldn't use coconut oil, Angela. :-)

Leovi said...

I like the pumpkin pretty picture.

RURAL said...

One of my all time, hands down favorite soups. I will be making this one!

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds like such a lovely soup. It is hard to beat easy and delicious :-). I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious for these cool evenings! Enjoy your day.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

That looks delicious! I have never tried a squash soup, making or eating. It certainly looks like it would be flavorful though.

Judy S. said...

Sounds yummy! Love the dish it's in also.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

I have tried in the past to make this kind of soup but I like your recipe so maybe I will attempt it again! :-)

Unknown said...

OOooh... I adore butternut squash soup!! But I have a question for you.. when do the chilly autumn evenings start exactly? :) Actually, what's great about the desert is when it hits 60 degrees, it's considered "chilly"!

Yenta Mary said...

Ooooh, sweet, spicy, warm ... it's perfection!

Debra Hawkins said...

I love butternut squash, but I have never tried the soup! I am so glad it is soup season!

Chatty Crone said...

I have to say the color is beautiful - not too much of a squash fan.

Dawn said...

Hi, thanks for joining us at Foodie Friends Friday. I am Dawn one of the host. I love butternut squash!
http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

Lois Christensen said...

I used to make butternut squash all the time for my children when they were young and haven't made one in years! This soup looks delicious and creamy! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Totally love me some Penzey's spices! I love squash and the idea of the apples and ginger here intrigue me! Yummm!

Unknown said...

This looks so delicious! Perfect for fall weather! I would love for you to come link up to my Get Social Sunday party and promote your awesome blog! http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/09/get-social-sunday_30.html

Love Bakes Good Cakes said...

Your project is featured this week at It's Fall Y'all ~ Linky Party. Have a great day :)

Kelly ~ Our Everyday Harvest said...

This looks delicious and perfect for this time of the year. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails