Saturday, September 8, 2012

Last Train to Westby


When we visited Westby this week with our granddaughter, we took a drive into the Clinton Township area, just east and north of Westby, where you'll find a huge Amish community. The farms are beautiful. When we came around the curve (one of a gazillion in that neck of the woods), I had to stop and get this photo. I love the color and contours of the cropland.


These people have managed just fine without electricity and the modern conveniences. Their farms are beautiful, ten cows seems to be the norm, and they have huge gardens and a division of labor that works for them. The children are not sitting around playing computer games, but are working. I think in our modern society we tend to think of work as child abuse, rather than as a gift of contribution.



I didn't know before that the pointy-top is a silo requirement - in this particular community anyway.









Lydia, getting the long-awaited motorcycle ride. I thought Eric's fluorescent shirt was a great idea for motorcycle wear!

With soapmaking, a trip to Westby, canning beans and tomatoes, it was a busy week.  We also saw the movie 2016 last night. If you haven't had a chance to see it yet, I'd recommend it. It's a very interesting documentary (and I happen to love documentaries!)

We will be taking our granddaughter home today. I hope she can come back soon!



...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch


Have a great weekend, everyone!

 
Photobucket

16 comments:

MadSnapper said...

beautiful photos, all of these. including the lime green shirt. i love the first one and the horses just made my day.

Parsley said...

Love photos. I never appreciated the beauty of farm life as art until recently. So charming.

Yep, saw 2016. I thought it was well done.

Sue said...

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing, I think we could all get by with less possessions, I could even give my iPad up LOL

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Your photos are beautiful.

We also have an Amish community near us. They do have such beautiful farms...

Sunny Simple Life said...

I want to see the movie. No one has wanted to go and my hubby is working so much. My FIL will go with me but it may give him a heart attack. Love that soap. Looks like honey combs.

Ruth Kelly said...

I've not heard of Westby but I don't live in your part of the country. You take wonderful photos.

Carla from The River said...

Love the photos!

Chatty Crone said...

The Amish people sure do take pride in their buildings and land. It is so beautiful. Was that your granddaughter and your husband? How cute. You will miss her I know.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I sure do love traveling through Amish country. It's fun to go into the small towns and see all the hand crafted items, too. Lovely photos, my friend!

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. It is a real shame that some parents let their kids sit and play video games and watch tv
for hours.

Debra Hawkins said...

I have never been out to Amish country. These pictures make want to see it for myself. So beautiful.

Denise said...

Such nice pictures.

Bailey K. | Travel Heals said...

I've always wanted to visit an Amish community. Gorgeous photos!!

Remember to link this up to this week's Travel Party on my blog! Thanks!!

http://letbirdzfly.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-places-youll-go-travel-party-7.html

Bailey K. | Travel Heals said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J_on_tour said...

Excellent photographic composition.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails