Friday, September 28, 2012

Anglophile Friday - Yew Tree Farm, Borrowdale


 Yew Tree Farm Bed & Breakfast

Note: All of the photos shown here are from the website, www.borrowdaleherdwick.co.uk.
The map is from mapquest.co.uk

Last week's Anglophile Friday post, as you may remember, included a video of working dogs, and especially Border Collies in the Lake District fells. (The link takes you to a map of the Lake District fells. Evidently Yew Tree Farm is in the Central Fells area.) Joe Relph and his Border Collies were showcased in that video.

 Joe Relph and one of his Border Collies

 So where is Yew Tree Farm and where are Joe Relph and his Border Collies?


Right there, where you see the purple marker.

Of course, as soon as I (originally) watched that show on PBS, I went to the computer and tried to track down that beautiful scenery and those amazing Border Collies. Joe Relph was thrown in for free. I found them at Yew Tree Farm near Rosthwaite in Borrowdale. It seems that not only is it a working farm (they raise sheep for meat), but they run a B&B and a tea room as well. There seems to be no end to their entrepreneurial bent.

Joe Relph seems to be a busy man. He's a shepherd. He's got work to do. I'm sure he didn't set out originally to be a host at a B&B, let alone become featured in a Nature TV show. (Kevin figures that the B&B was probably his wife's idea.) :-). Whatever, I found a few reviews of the Yew Tree Farm B&B in Borrowdale on Trip Advisor.

I laughed when I started reading them, and with the first review listed, I knew I'd like this no-nonsense farmer-businessman. (It helps to have watched the video first, to have gained some respect for his work and to have seen what a remarkable dog trainer and owner he is.)

From a Trip Advisor review: "Apparently Prince Charles and his sons have stayed here, and perhaps that explains the slightly haughty attitude from the owner...
When is breakfast, I asked...
Between 8:44 and 8:45 was the reply...
Oh well 8:44 then please, I wish to make an early start."

I think the first three reviews mentioned the non-negotiable breakfast time. :-) But there were lots of positive reviews as well, people who loved the B&B, the food, and the hosts.


Another Trip Advisor review:  "We have just returned from a four night stay at Yew Tree Farm and have had a wonderful time in this lovely cottage despite the poor weather! Everyone at Yew Tree made us so welcome, the rooms are very cosy and breakfast was fantastic which really set us up for the day. Breakfast is set out on one large table which is great for chatting to other guests, and we met people from America and Australia plus some English guests who were staying there on their way across the Coast to Coast Walk. This is such a peaceful place and if you need some time to chill out and relax in a beautiful setting then this little gem is the place for you!"

===
More important to me than the B&B, however, are the Border Collies, those amazing working dogs that allow Joe Relph and his wife Hazel to make a living on that harsh terrain.



Look at the gorgeous views in any direction from Yew Tree Farm!

Yew Tree Farm, Rosthwaite, Borrowdale, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom.

It's on my bucket list.

***


'Forest Floor'
a woodsy floral luxury soap
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch


Have a great weekend, everyone!


Photobucket

12 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post! Is this is in Yorkshire ( would ask John but he's asleep lol ) it looks an awful lot like where John's from!!!
Hugs,
Suzan

Trace4J said...

How cool.
How I would love to visit there.
Thank you for sharing new friend.
HUGS
Trace


www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Unknown said...

Beautiful images Judy, and wouldn't mind having a cottage like the one in the first picture.
Enjoy your weekend!

Yenta Mary said...

How beautiful and utterly charming ... :)

MadSnapper said...

beautiful B and B and i would like to see the Yew tree farm, breathtaking views.

bj said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful place. :)

Eugenie said...

Thank you for the link to the video. Although I am a great fan of dogs for protection and military service, and a proud owner of a working bred Malinois, I appreciate all working dogs and their breeders. I am very grateful to the people who work to preserve real working dogs, fit for the purpose. I do not know if anyone would be interested, but I found a website of Mccallum Kennel a while ago - http://mccallumk9.com/mcrom.html - and was deeply impressed. There is a video of his 10 or 11 year old dog who works independently, at a huge distance from the owner, bringing home a herd of cows scattered across the river. It was truly amazing to watch! His approach to breeding is most uncompromising and I love it.

Abigail Young said...

Wow, that looks like an amazing place! I love the strict breakfast time bit :)

Gotta love the English!

-Abby
www.PictureBritain.com

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Great Post!
I didn't realize there was a village called Borrowdale.....one of my ancestor's name was Borrowdale. I wonder if they were from that area.

SImple and Serene Living said...

Oh wow, I am adding this to my bucket list too.

Hugs,
Laura

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness that last photo - looks like Heaven doesn't it? I'd love to go see it. sandie

J_on_tour said...

Rosthwaite is a small but beautiful location. The teashop with the tables in the garden is the ideal place to spend an hour. Although I haven't used the B&B they do make nice cakes ... a photo of a piece of carrot cake on my Ashness to Seatoller walk post June 2011 :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails