Saturday, September 15, 2012

Sunshine Squash

'Sunshine' Winter Squash

I love the intense orange color of this winter squash. I ordered the seed from Park Seed Company, which is where I also order my Carmen Pepper seeds. I haven't eaten a Sunshine Squash  yet, but if the color has any influence on me, it will taste good. Funny how that color is so appealing in a fruit or vegetable, but not in wall paint or clothing. It looks a lot like a Buttercup, except for the color.

There's still a lot growing in the garden - carrots, squash, lots of peppers, and herbs that I plan to pot and bring indoors. Then there's the cleaning up of the garden. I hope the weather stays nice. It's much more pleasant to work outdoors on days like this - low 70's. I spent much of the afternoon digging up irises to thin out the bed, a job I've been putting off for the past three or four years. I think I got about 1/5 done. Hopefully, with the light gained from trimming the huge maple, my irises may actually bloom next spring. This year I only had a few blossoms, due to overcrowding and lack of sunshine.


Carmen Peppers

This is last year's photo, but we managed to get a great crop of Carmens this year too, once the really hot weather passed. I also noticed that my lemon verbena plant is doing well. I'm not sure I'll be able to winter it over in the house, but it's worth a try.  Seems that it's only hardy to zone 8, and we live in zone 3.

 Is your garden cleaned up already?

***

Soap Sample Assortment Sets
now available
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

14 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Beautiful orange and red. I bet your garden is beautiful also.

Parsley said...

This makes me smile. Love harvest time.

Anonymous said...

What delightful photos! Wishing you a nice Saturday.

Chatty Crone said...

Judy you make everything look so Heavenly.

Olive said...

Heavens no and will not be for a long time. I did water the hydrangeas today which were droopy. Your pumpkin is beautiful.

MadSnapper said...

no garden here, just flowers and trees. no place to plant one in our jungle. that first shot it looks so pretty it is like paper mache.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How gorgeous! It looks just like a big ole pumpkin! I always loved gourds growing in the garden, too! Hugs!

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh I am in love with that squash. It looks like a pumpkin it is so orange.

Unknown said...

Beautiful orange and red images. I love the colours of autumn. Enjoy your weekend!

erin said...

awesome garden! And I love orange clothes. and walls. I just really love orange! :) haha

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that when we were healthier, we would travel to Park Seed each year. What a fun day that was!!!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Gorgeousness!! WOW. And yes, our garden is cleaned up in the sense that I cleaned it up in 2010 and never got around to replanting! I do still love my herb garden, tough! Your bounty looks fabulous!!
Thanks for stopping by! :)
{HUGS},
kristi

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

We need to clean up our garden, which we will be doing soon. It is so hard to believe that it is that time of year again. Sounds like you have a great garden.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Lol!! Our garden is still a jungle! We will probalby wait until there is a frost to actually start cleaning up everything.

When I first read your post, I thought you were talking about Lemon Balm! I was like what! it is very hardy! I don't know if we have tried Lemon Verbena, I would think it smells a lot like Lemon Balm. If you ever what to try it, let me know. Every Spring I pick two clumps I want to keep, thin them down to mangable plants and dig up all the rest!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails