Monday, October 28, 2013

The Eagle Has Landed, Again

One of God's most gorgeous creatures!

When I went outdoors to shake the rugs, I heard an odd, but somewhat familiar, noise coming from the windbreak north of the house, just on the other side of the driveway. I looked up and saw Mr. Eagle, perched on a branch at the top of the pine tree. Wanting to get a photo, I slowly and quietly laid the rugs down and backed carefully away from where I was, to go get my camera.

When I returned, as unobtrusively as possible, with the camera, the eagle, fortunately, was still atop the tree. Good. I tried to get in an even less conspicuous spot to take the pictures. So I stood there with my head tilted back, camera in hand, snapping one after the other, while the eagle seemed totally uninterested.

I was hoping to get a photo of him as he swooped down from the tree, with that huge wingspan - something I've observed before but never photographed - so I waited.

and waited

and waited.

Of course I had my camera focused on this bird the whole time and was getting a major crick in my neck, but I was determined to get that photo.

 
Okay, now I was getting impatient. After all, it was no longer about this majestic bird, but all about me getting that stupid photo!

I stepped out from my 'hiding place' and began making noise.

I sang.

I waved my arms.

I called, 'C'mon, Mr. Eagle, Fly!'

He just sat there, occasionally turning his head around and casually picking a piece of lint off his feathers - probably wondering what that obnoxious creature below him was up to. (No kidding, it really felt that way!) He was in absolutely no hurry to go anywhere.


After many uncomfortable minutes, my battery went flat.

I ran to the house to get a replacement battery. I didn't bother trying to go quietly.

When I got back out there, probably not 30 seconds later,

he was gone.

I knew he would be, and I know he did this on purpose.

I'm sure I heard him laughing off in the distance.

See that little white dot under the red arrow?
That's the eagle's head.

Next time.

And there will be a next time. Mr. Eagle likes to use the tops of our two tall pines as his lookout.

And pain in the neck or not, I love it that these amazing birds visit our backyard once in a while.


***

Buy Any Five, Get One FREE

'Cranberry Tea'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



Be sure to enter Kimberly's Giveaway
at


This post is linked to  Freedom Fridays and Anything Blue Friday and  From the Farm

37 comments:

Trace4J said...

Good Morning Friend
What a beautiful Eagle!
Love the photo.
Have a wonderful week.
Woolie HUGS

Terri D said...

You must have an amazing camera to get shots that good, from so far away! Just beautiful!! Eagles are amazing birds, and I had to chuckle at your antics...and knowing he would be gone when you got back with your new battery. Great post!

Parsley said...

Breathtaking! Even without a flight photo, this experience would have been so special to me as I am sure it was for you.

Artsy VaVa said...

Beautiful! We don't usually have eagles here, but last year one was spotted at a nearby lake and bird watchers came from all over to see him. My daughter thought she saw one the other day on our road. I sure hope so!I've never seen one in the wild.

MadSnapper said...

thanks for my first laugh out loud moment today.. by the end of the story i was laughing really hard. that first shot was worth the pain in the neck, he is gorgeous and so is the photo. how awesome to have an Eagle in your yard. wow.
i did the same thing with a squirrel last week, but not as awesome as an eagle...

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous creature indeed!!!

Muffy's Marks said...

Beautiful photo of Mr. Eagle. Just hope he doesn't like those trees so much he decided to make his nest there. You will have a mess. Visitor-yes; resident - no!!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

There was one that used to perch in the pines across the street from us, but the new neighbors cut them down without a second thought. Sigh.

Susie said...

You did a fabulous job getting the eagle's picture. I absolutely love it. How many of us ever get a chance like that? It is a truly beautiful bird. Happy Monday. xoxo,Susie

Pamela Gordon said...

Wow, how blessed you were to see this beautiful eagle right in your own yard. You got some great pictures Judy. Too bad your battery died and they he took off. There will be a next time I think. You'll get that perfect shot. Have a great day. I'm following you now. :) Blessings, Pam

Elizabeth Edwards said...

ready 4 some video please. that would have been too funny to see. ( ;

Anonymous said...

That first photo is incredible. Wow! What a sight to behold.

Bossy Betty said...

Incredible picture! Super Models are always a little hard to work with.

Chatty Crone said...

You know Judy - I just love eagles. I think they represent such strength and beauty. America. I went to Alaska and they have so many they look at them as scavenger birds. There was a lady out there I forgot her name - was called the eagle lady - whose life goal was to save the eagles. Great photos.

Deanna said...

How exciting! While homeschooling our kids we we went on a field trip to see nesting eagles. That was cool but nothing compared to having one in your very own backyard.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Judy What wonderful shots you did get. I cannot imagine how far that was away from you and am amazed you got that shot. Well done. Now what you have learnt from your battery stopping? carry a space in your pocket at ALL times. I know this because the same thing happened tome when I was doing some photography.

TexWisGirl said...

i am SO jealous!!! i've never seen a bald eagle in the wild - they're getting more prevalent in this area, though, so there's hope someday...

you have some great zoom on your camera!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Great photos! Pretty looking soap too!

Vee said...

How very cool! What a great ZOOM you have! Marvelous photos. Dang camera batteries!

camp and cottage living said...

Your Eagle photos are awesome!
We had Eagles on the lake, but they would never land long enough for a picture.
Thank you for posting my give away.
Your name has been added to the drawing! Goof luck.

Joyce said...

Wow-awesome photos! I am always on the look out for eagles. They are beautiful birds. We saw some when we were on my sister's boat this summer, as they nest nearby.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Beautiful! I don't think I have ever seen an eagle up close. The only large birds in the city is an occasional Owl and Blue Heron.

Samantha said...

WOW! That's amazing!!! Maybe you need to get a noise maker ready for next time ;)

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Wow, you did a great job telling this fun story. I had a similar thing happen to me with a fox. I know how you feel.

Robin said...

Fantastic pictures!! You are so lucky that you have one comes to visit.

Turnips 2 Tangerines said...

What an amazing sight! Your pictures are simply beautiful! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

Anonymous said...

Too cruel! He is very handsome, but I suspect he knows that.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

WOW! So beautiful. Eagles have just started to reappear in our area over the last few years and it is still rare to see one. At least in the suburbs it is!
Great photos.

Deborah said...

Oh my favorite bird in all the world! You took great photos...love them my friend. :-)

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Oh, I'm sure he laughed a little evil Halloween laugh... But you took amazing pictures!
Seagulls are nicer, one waited three minutes that my camera reloaded yesterday!

Lynn Blaylock said...

Incredible picture! I can't believe he wouldn't fly off with you taunting him. I love pictures of wildlife but I find them very hard to get.
Thanks for sharing you pics!

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

I love seeing the eagles too. We go canoe in a refuge in Western Wisconson where we see a ton of eagles, I never get tired of seeing them.

Donna said...

How wonderful! Great photos! I bet he was chuckling at you, LOL.

Empty Nester said...

I know he did it on purpose too. Cause they do it to me all the time. LOL You did get some nice shots though!

Judy S. said...

Great photo, Judy.They are such awesome birds.

J_on_tour said...

Wow, incredible creature. The zoom takes it out of the battery quickly but not to worry these are great shots as they are. He definitely knows you're there. As they say with TV work … never work with children & animals !!

Unknown said...

You made me smile and then laugh. I was totally right there with you. But what a majestic site. Great picture anyways.
Thank you for sharing for Tuesday Trivia. Check back Friday for a feature.
Hugs,
Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails